124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Elegance comes with a premium.

My scenario will be this.

My next Digicam will have an SD card slot which I'll use an Eyefi Pro 8GB card. So I'll be able to upload my pics to a multitude of websites and pull down to the iPad with relative ease.

I'd rather have a more flexible camera option than a tiny iSight camera that forces me to align my iPad in a certain way to capture what I want.

As for multitasking people tend to have different perspectives on what they call multitasking. I think you're going to see a lot of the core functionality like maps and video become embedded into 3rd party apps so that the whole switch process gets reduced significantly. That's a form of multitasking but I think Apple's approach will be different. Much like In-app purchase doesn't require loading another application future maps and video will just be embedded into the app. Apple has been taking this course (most recently with apps that play your iTunes music directly through the app) and I don't expect Apple to change this.

Since developers will be tapping into core features from Apple that have been battle tested we'll have a stable platform (because unleashing multitasking to to a wide dynamic of developers on the iPhone/iPad isn't a good idea at first blush).

I'll reserve final judgment unti SDK 4.0 hits and we see the next level of sophistication. That being said however getting pictures on my iPad or other documents are the least of my worries. It's becoming progressively easier to "cut the cables" and enable easy access to files.

There's Wifi Direct coming complement Bluetooth and Sony is adding Transferjet to many of their products. Soon hooking up a cable to transfer data will seem pretty arcane. Let's skate to where that puck is going to be.

"It's a great day for hockey", but we're talking about technology, not the greatest game on earth. Your scenario works fine in areas where there is either A) Wi-Fi or B) a good 3G connection. Maybe you live somewhere special but there are still a lot of places where neither exists and a good old fashion USB connector would work wonders. Glad to see you're catching on about the importance of multitasking.

I too am waiting to see what software 4.0 and hardware 2.0 brings. I didn't say this product line isn't going to grow. It will once the suckers pay for revision 1, then the real version will be out faster than an Ovechkin snap-shot. Then all of a sudden a camera, SD slot, USB connector, will be the greatest thing and a must have. And if this version does come out with a camera in it, I'll start to change my tune, the question is will you do the same?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Thats a very cute response, but the iPhone isn't a mini iPad. The iPad is something much more versatile.

Thanks, but the iPhone has a camera....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Speaking of lunch, I see a lot of people eating crow for theirs when it turns out that video cameras and multitasking are not deal-killers for Apple's designated audience for the iPad. No, the iPad is not 100% geek compliant and clearly was not intended to be. I don't understand why so many people are convinced that Apple simply never considered any of this.

As for USB -- it's there, in the 30-pin connector. Whether any third parties get access to it for I/O is another question, the answer to which is coming soon enough.

A camera is not my only deal killer in this version. You don't have to be a geek to appreciate the value of an iChat call. You could ask my son's grandmother who lives ~600 miles away and doesn't get the chance to see him every day. Oh, and that feature and the ease of use played a big part in her getting an iMac.

Again many of us are disappointed in the lack of features which Apple has been famous for including in various products for years. Apple didn't think different here. The added punch of iTunes is the only thing which makes this product standout from the competition.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

A camera is not my only deal killer in this version. You don't have to be a geek to appreciate the value of an iChat call. You could ask my son's grandmother who lives ~600 miles away and doesn't get the chance to see him every day. Oh, and that feature and the ease of use played a big part in her getting an iMac.

Again many of us are disappointed in the lack of features which Apple has been famous for including in various products for years. Apple didn't think different here. The added punch of iTunes is the only thing which makes this product standout from the competition.

For you. Please qualify accurately. The iPad is clearly not intended as a full-purpose Mac substitute. Apple being Apple, they prefer devices that do a few things well instead of bunch of things not so well. If you like feature crams, you always have Microsoft.

Again, I think we should assume that Apple decided against the camera, at least in the first model, for actual reasons. Or you could also assume that they are very stupid or malicious. Your choice.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Thanks, but the iPhone has a camera....

You can joke, but you haven;t made a single valid point yet.