AT&T's no-contract iPad data plans run $15/mo. 250MB, $30 unlimited

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

If this tablet uses the sim card, can't i just take mine out of my iphone, pop it in tablet, and presto blamo, internet for no extra cost? This could be awesome!

...as in you phone...sorry;-)
  • Reply 22 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

The real question is - can you use your existing data plan along with the iPad, or does it require a separate purchase? (i.e., can you get a duplicate microSIM card from AT&T for your existing iPhone account).

My guess - NO.

Definite NO on this one.

Quote:

If this tablet uses the sim card, can't i just take mine out of my iphone, pop it in tablet, and presto blamo, internet for no extra cost? This could be awesome!

That is an interesting question...
  • Reply 23 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Face it, Verizon fans, Apple is not going to create a CDMA device...ever. They are global.

I like the new data plans....much cheaper than competition....no contracts.

Nice deal.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR AT&T's NETWORK TO BUCKLE FURTHER AND FALL APART!!! Now that the Pre and Pixi & a ton of Android phone are coming, I will be enjoying my Big Red contract even more. I love Apple. I have a MBP. But I had AT&T and I HATED them. HATED! I switched to the Big Red 5 years ago and haven't regretted it since!
  • Reply 24 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Unlocked means you can sign a contract with anyone...

I'm thinking this could be great for people who need to monitor mission critical systems. Just get a cheap data plan on iPad and you are connected from everywhere. Only problem is getting notifications. Most systems can setup email notifications relatively easily. You could use MailSpeaking.com to convert email alerts to cell phone alerts.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

...as in you phone...sorry;-)

The specs on apple http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ don't seem to specify another other than a SIM card tray, so looks to me like it would be the same thing still - so same SIM card.

Input and Output

* Dock connector

* 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

* Built-in speakers

* Microphone

* SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Wll use my Verizon mifi and iphone remote desktop app to make this little device worth the buying price! Hopefully log into Mac or Windows home machine to do any app work using a 1.5 lb device..
  • Reply 27 of 117
    As an iPhone user, should I really have to pay another $30 for an additional device. This is getting ridiculous. I already pay AT&T for internet at home and on my iPhone. Now I have to pay another $30 a month for the iPad?

I order for people to afford buying these gadgets, there needs to be one plan for all you internet connected devices. Period.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    Will the $30 a month unlimited data be available worldwide? I'm just wondering because here in Canada we have no unlimited.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    This will be perfect for those using Google Voice or Skype. I'm excited!
  • Reply 30 of 117
    The data pricing is interesting because there isn't a contract. I can imagine that many people are close to WiFi in the office or at home but may activate 3G for a trip out of town or vacation. Then you can cancel the 3G until your next trip. No contracts = good.

I wonder how international data roaming will be handled?
  • Reply 31 of 117
    ABOUT THE SIM CARD FROM PHONE FOR TABLET

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Definite NO on this one.

That is an interesting question...

This can already be done with wireless cards on ATT. just take out sim card and put in wireless card for laptop. I haven't done it personally but I have a buddy that says he does it all of the time.

I am just curious if apple already thought of this and disabled it for ATT
  • Reply 32 of 117
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doc69 View Post

As an iPhone user, should I really have to pay another $30 for an additional device. This is getting ridiculous. I already pay AT&T for internet at home and on my iPhone. Now I have to pay another $30 a month for the iPad?

I order for people to afford buying these gadgets, there needs to be one plan for all you internet connected devices. Period.

which wireless carrier gives you free data on another device even if you have a smartphone data plan?
  • Reply 33 of 117
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

Hahah, yes yes yes! I told you guys. Verizon is no where near Apple now. I believe this is the wiesist choice, and smartest. This is obviously a clue that iPhone isn't coming to Verizon! Happy birthcrap for you Verizon fan boys!! you can go suck it. And congratulations Apple, you now have my blessing!

I wouldn't think a vastly new category hardware product would have to share it's day to shine with Steve saying oh, 'Verizon on the iPhone this June'... I for one never trusted that rumor.

So, if any iPhone announcements are to be made... new model, new pricing, new phone carriers, new phone rates, etc... I think would be on its own day, which usually has been around the anniversary of the first iPhone launch.

So Verizon people still have hope...

However, this T-Mobil person will be awaiting for some hopefully good news around the June/July timeframe...
  • Reply 34 of 117
    This isn't a bad offer - in fact it's pretty good as far as "3G Modem Data Plan" pricing goes. Only disappointment is that I can't pop in my iPhone SIM and use it for phone calls.
  • Reply 35 of 117
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voretaq7 View Post

This isn't a bad offer - in fact it's pretty good as far as "3G Modem Data Plan" pricing goes. Only disappointment is that I can't pop in my iPhone SIM and use it for phone calls.

So no to Skype or Google phone app?
  • Reply 36 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

Hahah, yes yes yes! I told you guys. Verizon is no where near Apple now. I believe this is the wiesist choice, and smartest. This is obviously a clue that iPhone isn't coming to Verizon! Happy birthcrap for you Verizon fan boys!! you can go suck it. And congratulations Apple, you now have my blessing!

Keeping people from choosing the best plan for the area they live in is not a wiesist choice sir. I'm not a Verizon fan boy. I just want to be able to make a phone call without dropping it five times. Why can't anyone seem to understand this simple concept?

You people at AI treat this like its a football game. Like there is something to win or loose for "your" side. When consumers have choice, everybody wins.

I question for you sir. No sarcasm intended, just a serious question to satisfy my curiosity. Why do you say, "Hahah, yes yes yes! "

Why do you give a crap what phone plan I use? What is it to you? What do you think you've won here?
  • Reply 37 of 117
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    All I want is tethering between this and my iPhone. I hate being restricted by AT&T despite living in another country (if AT&T not offering tethering to the iPhone is the reason why there was no mention of tethering).
  • Reply 38 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

ABOUT THE SIM CARD FROM PHONE FOR TABLET

This can already be done with wireless cards on ATT. just take out sim card and put in wireless card for laptop. I haven't done it personally but I have a buddy that says he does it all of the time.

I am just curious if apple already thought of this and disabled it for ATT

It is not practical to do. Your will miss your calls and imagine doing it half a dozen times a day. No the best solution. I wouldn't mind paying $15/month for an additional data plan. For me 250MB plus WiFi is enough.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I wouldn't think a vastly new category hardware product would have to share it's day to shine with Steve saying oh, 'Verizon on the iPhone this June'... I for one never trusted that rumor.

So, if any iPhone announcements are to be made... new model, new pricing, new phone carriers, new phone rates, etc... I think would be on its own day, which usually has been around the anniversary of the first iPhone launch.

So Verizon people still have hope...

However, this T-Mobil person will be awaiting for some hopefully good news around the June/July timeframe...

So Apple is going to release a Verizon tablet in June? And a T-Mobile one? And a Sprint one?
  • Reply 40 of 117
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It sucks that there is such a large price hike to get to 3g.... It is obviousely a subsidy for the 3G Coverage. I correctly predicted ATT and not verizon as the carrier, though I was kinda ready to cave in and say that Verizon might be a co-provider of service, but never exclusive. This means that iPhone will always be on ATT, and everyone who does not like it can go over to Android. (That is untill 4G service is rolled out somewhere in two years from now).

BTW This will blow away Google's Browser OS. You can get a GoogleBook which can only browse the web for 299 (and judging by Nexus One experience is not really tech supported by anyone), or iPad which can do everything for $499, which also comes with the Apple Store Genius. Google is the new microsoft (except for search). Apple is still apple.