AT&T's no-contract iPad data plans run $15/mo. 250MB, $30 unlimited

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    So my question is this. Can I sign up for the iPad unlimited account and take that SIM card and put it into an unlocked iPhone and use the data services on the iPhone? This would allow for a user to make 100% free calls and texts using GV/Gizmo/Fring combo. All with no contract.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop touting MyWi. Do you work for them? If so, don't stealth-push your product. Thanks.

I am in now way affiliated with the MyWi development team only a VERY satisfied customer.

I use to be in the same boat, thinking that jailbreaking an iPhone was a bad idea. Then I did it.

People always complain how "closed" the iPhone is, well, if you want to take full advantage of your phone/data plan, it is one way to do that....

(Plus themeing is definitely a major time sink.)

Again, why should I shell out $30 more dollars to AT&T when I have unlimited data as it is and a phone perfectly capable of providing data to an iPad. Why should the iPhone be the only device crippled on their network?
  • Reply 103 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

True. But do you think Apple is introducing a fork? Or is everything in that special sauce going to be as easily applied to the next major ARM update, let's say the A10? If it needs to be modified for an A10, I hope it doesn't take a long time.

Apple used to design many chips for its earlier Macs (that weren't used in PCs), but over time, they've moved away from that to take advantage of economies of scale.

Personally, on the surface, I like the PA Semi move for it allows Apple to differentiate and put more distance between them and competitors. But I don't know enough to know the full cost-benefit of this move.

The mobile market has much greater fragmentation than the traditional desktop/laptop markets, where Intel and AMD primarily dominate and where the x86 instruction set is de facto standard. For this reason, real economies of scale do exist for Apple.

The mobile space is more fragmented. ARM produces reference designs, but companies like Apple, TI, Marvell, Samsung, etc., are free to produce their own custom variants on those designs. And because no particular chip itself has become a widely accepted standard, nor is there any guarantee of cross platform compatibility, it still makes sense for Apple to engineer it's own take on the ARM processor. fragmentation exists even within Apple's own product line. I believe the original iPhone and iPod touches run on Samsung ARM7 designs. Then the iPhone 3GS and new iPod touch running Samsung Cortex A8 designs. And now we have Apple's proprietary "A4" chip, which is likely still made by Samsung but now based on Apple's own design, which could be modified off of a Cortex A8 at faster clocks, or possibly the Cortex A9.

As far as future designs, at least Apple is on a level playing field this time. ARM sends off the designs and specs for it's new processors to everyone at the same time. Therefore, everyone is in the same boat as far as making design changes unless the manufacturer chooses to use the reference design unmodified. And until a particular chip design becomes

standard, I don't see Apple giving up the design control any time soon especially when they are the current market leader.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    why not just tether it to your iphone? Someone will figure out how to do it sooner or later.

OOOps! AT&T, Did I just say that? LOL
  • Reply 105 of 117
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    "We'll be back this summer with some even better deals for our customers internationally," he said.

Let me know how those negotiations go with Rogers and Bell, SteveJ. I'm sure they'll give up their $60/month/2GB data rates if you say pretty please. Unlimited data plans and no contract here, in Canada? That was the funniest thought I've heard in years.

Oh, and also when iBooks is available here too. I'm sure Chapters-Indigo will be thrilled.

Oh, lookie! Hell's frozen over and Toller Cranston's here for a skate!
  • Reply 106 of 117
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

Hahah, yes yes yes! I told you guys. Verizon is no where near Apple now. I believe this is the wiesist choice, and smartest. This is obviously a clue that iPhone isn't coming to Verizon! Happy birthcrap for you Verizon fan boys!! you can go suck it. And congratulations Apple, you now have my blessing!

I am sure that Steve Jobs will sleep better tonight now that he has your blessing! As someone else asked though, what is it to you or anyone else if the iPad was available on Verizon, Sprint or TM in addition to ATT? I for one find the current network situation to be problematic at times already and unlimited data on the iPad can only make this worse. Opening it up to multiple networks would help share the load.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

The open question is how much better is the A4 than a Snapdragon or ARM.

It makes the iPad very difficult to clone. You won't see iPad clones until the iPad is long obsolete, if ever. The iPad may even be far more difficult to hack than the existing iPhone. The A4 is possibly the future direction for iPhones, too.

How much better is that?
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Jerseymac wrote: Keeping people from choosing the best plan for the area they live in is not a wiesist choice sir. I'm not a Verizon fan boy. I just want to be able to make a phone call without dropping it five times. Why can't anyone seem to understand this simple concept?

Hello jersey, I went again thru the specs and event and kept finding the same info. The ipad is an unlocked device and it is not tied up to AT&T in USA as the only provider, the iPad is unlocked... just get it and if you have a data plan with another cell provider put your sim card on it. I guess you will have to make a couple of calls to tech support to enable the IMEI (or MAC Address) in your account. At least when I used to work for t-mobile I was able to change and update new IMEI's of smartphones and enable them. I did this hundreds of times for iPhones to be more specific.

For must of us outside USA, to have this device that is more capable than the iPhone in terms of computing, real state screen is wonderful to have it unlocked and affordable.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    The pay-by-month plan is key because I wouldn't be interested in an iPad if it was locked to AT&T and if I had to sign a contract.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    The whole iPad concept would have been a non-starter at $60 a month. The question I would ask is what sort of package price will AT&T put together for a person with both an iPhone and an iPad? I would not find it attractive to pay $30 each when it is unlikely that I would be using both simultaneously. Maybe $10 a month extra for "both"?

If the reports that the iPad does not have Flash I definitely will not be interested in it because it can not access "all the internet" as Steve promised in his original iPhone presentation. I will not say it would be useless, but it would definitely be limited.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Flash is on the way out. It's proprietary and shouldn't even be a defacto Web standard.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Flash is on the way out. It's proprietary and shouldn't even be a defacto Web standard.

It is a Steve issue, nothing else. Steve lied. Ignoring it does not change the fact that it is a de facto standard. "It shouldn't be" is simply a state of denial. Step away from the reality distortion field.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    So could one in theory use the unlimited internet access option to serve as their ISP???

Currently, I can't download any app over 10 MB over the 3G... Will this change with the iPad??
  • Reply 114 of 117
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

Hahah, yes yes yes! I told you guys. Verizon is no where near Apple now. I believe this is the wiesist choice, and smartest. This is obviously a clue that iPhone isn't coming to Verizon! Happy birthcrap for you Verizon fan boys!! you can go suck it. And congratulations Apple, you now have my blessing!

I am not a Verizon fan boy. Far from it, I actually deeply hate verizon. But, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone and sign a new contract, unless I can actually make phone calls on that iphone.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    Fools, he never said you could by a NAKED Data plan for $30! You'll probably STILL have to buy garbage MaBellopoly phone service. If they DID sell the Data Plan by itself for that brick, there'd be Trial attorneys lining up to start Class Actions against AT&T and APPLE for iPhone customers who've been forced into bloated 2 year con-traps.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphoney View Post

Fools, he never said you could by a NAKED Data plan for $30! You'll probably STILL have to buy garbage MaBellopoly phone service. If they DID sell the Data Plan by itself for that brick, there'd be Trial attorneys lining up to start Class Actions against AT&T and APPLE for iPhone customers who've been forced into bloated 2 year con-traps.

That makes no sense at all. You're saying that you think you're going to have to buy a minute-plan that you're never going to use, just to have the ability to buy pre-paid data for an iPad?
  • Reply 117 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

we'll see about that. AT&T = FAIL

1. There is no reason you are in AppleInsider because you love PC and have no Apple products.

2. You love Verison and are in bed with them.

So the only end statement would be shut up and remove yourself from AppleInsider.