iPhone OS 3.2 is iPad-only, potential camera support, A4 processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Well - People who read my posts know that I am a big Apple fan. So you won't be surprised that I think this product looks really good (having watched the engadget live blog). But I will say it anyway - it does look like a great device with a tremendous interface.

Great from factor, great apps, great battery life.

However! - I do have some major disappointments with it too.

1- No camera

2- No full iPhoto

3- No USB (more later)

4- Price premium for 3G is way too high!

5- keyboard doc - Oi Yey!

#1 & #2

This should have been included. Maybe there is not enough horsepower to edit video (tho they do have limited editing on the iPhone), but at least we could have had a full iPhoto so people could use it to edit the pix. Maybe this is built into the photo program but not demoed. Still - no cam

#3 -

I am a fan of Apple/Mac model of a controlled system architecture, but not when it imposes unnecessary limitations. Let's face it, this is a computer. It really ought to have a USB port (or 2) to connect peripherals. Most importantly, as a serious amateur photographer (I have exhibited in 3 countries) no way even one week's shooting will fit on one of these. But if I could only attach my Rugged Drive...

#4 -

Speaks for itself. When you can buy a new unlocked cell phone for under $100, I don't see why it costs so much to add on the transceiver. I could see a premium of $69 or even $89, but $129? Maybe ATT will subsidize them.

#5 -

The keyboard dock is cool BUT:

a) Only in portrait mode?

b) Who wants to use a keyboard that is right up against the display like that? Come on guys!! Let's put some distance here and be real.

Finally - on the wish list...

A DVI connector so that it could be used as an external display for another laptop or desktop. This could also be done via wifi I suppose - still it would have been cool. Besides, it would have been a really big impetus for laptop owners to add on.

-- In the end, these are important points (to me) but not a game changer. I am on the "Notify List" for when it is available.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    benmbenm Posts: 1member
    In September 2008 T-Mobile began rolling out its 3G network (operating on the 1700 MHz band) to service G1 customers in 14 initial cities. T-Mobile's UMTS (3G) service is now active in over 30 major US cities and operates on over 15 new devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile
  • Reply 23 of 98
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    My geek nature is aroused - I can't wait to see specs on the A4 chip!

(If we ever get any)
  • Reply 24 of 98
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

#5 -

b) Who wants to use a keyboard that is right up against the display like that? Come on guys!! Let's put some distance here and be real.

I thought the same thing, then I realized the case they're marketing serves as a stand and you cna use a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad
  • Reply 25 of 98
  • Reply 26 of 98
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

#4 -

Speaks for itself. When you can buy a new unlocked cell phone for under $100, I don't see why it costs so much to add on the transceiver. I could see a premium of $69 or even $89, but $129? Maybe ATT will subsidize them.

A 3G cell phone under $100 unlocked? I agree it is expensive though.

Quote:

#5 -

The keyboard is close to the screen so that you can interact with it without moving your hand a long ways, remember it's a touchscreen, not a monitor. I've heard the bluetooth keyboard works with it too. So bluetooth keyboard + leather case/stand = tablet in landscape with the keyboard spaced as far away from the tablet as you like.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though the iPad, introduced by Apple Wednesday, does not include a camera, the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK "simulator" for creating software hints the shipping product could support a camera in some fashion. One developer told AppleInsider that the native Contacts application offers the option to take a photo, in addition to choosing an existing one.

with a solid 30 days or more time to prep, I bet some kind of camera will be out when or shortly after the ipad releases. companies would be crazy not to

Quote:

The iPad does not support the unique 1700Mhz spectrum utilized by the T-Mobile 3G network in the U.S. So although the hardware is unlocked and could theoretically access T-Mobile's EDGE network, 3G connectivity will not be an option anywhere but AT&T in the U.S.

1. I suspect they didn't want to have to deal with various configs on top of the 6 for each country so unlocking was the solution

2. isn't the iphone said to be the same spectrum etc and yet folks have reported unlocking and outside of the whole visual voicemail it works just fine.

what I can't wait to get more details on is this 3g set up via itunes. can I simply not set it up when I plus in the ipad the first time and using only wifi and then in six months when I feel I need 3g do it then. or do I have to set it up and then cancel (and likely pay the first month and a set up fee). if the former, awesome, if the latter I'll do it on the lesser plan but it will be annoying
  • Reply 28 of 98
    I will not be purchasing one of these until there is a release of blackra1n supporting the product.

That being said, there is no reason to buy the 3G version if you own an iPhone as it is very easy to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot to take advantage of its built in 3G.

I can see myself watching a lot of SlingBox on a device like this over 3G/iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 98

Launch Pad $200

Kaossilator Pro $400

Tenorion $999

MPC-1000 $1000

Monome 256 $1090

Lemur $2000

Buchla 222e $11,000
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Quote:

Maybe ATT will subsidize them.

In Australia, on a A$20 plan (1GB) they'll often give away a $150 usb data stick if you're on a 2 year contract.

It's possible that here we'll have a choice of a wifi or 3G model at the same price - but the 3G model requires a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a camera and iChat on this thing.

Okay... your iPad is laying flat on the desk in front of you, or propped up at a slight, comfortable angle. What does the built-in camera see? The ceiling!

What was Apple supposed to to, put in one of those roller-looking cams like on some laptops? Sorry, Apple doesn't do kludgy. IMO, this is a big part of why there's no camera.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Musicians will eat it up!

What do you mean?

Are these hardware devices that they would no longer need with an iPad?

If so - which are commonly used? Are there apps for them on iPhone already?
  • Reply 33 of 98
    As some one who was very much looking forward to this product, I am very, very disappointed.

They are touting this device as a device somewhere between a smart phone and a notebook.

What they gave us is is s super sized iPod Touch. Period.

It overcomes ONE limitation of the iPod Touch -- screen size, while retaining ALL of the other limitations of a 'smart' phone.

You want to watch a TV show you have already bought from iTunes? Hook up a cable and sync to your computer.

You want to load up a few documents to work on on the plane? Make sure you install the right client software on you computer to push the files to your device and/or hook up a cable and sync the device.

Want to edit pictures? Buy a poorly implemented adapter or ... copy the photos to your computer, hook up a cable and sync your device.

No multi-tasking.

No iChat Client.

No expandable storage.

No file system.

No camera

No Adobe Flash

No Silverlight

No streaming media form your itunes on your computer.

It does everything that my iPhone does, but more importantly, it does NOTHING MORE than my iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifterus View Post

No it is not usable on any 3G network. Assuming it is "unlocked" as you say it will still only work on AT&T or T-Mobile. 3G on Verizon and Sprint is a completely different technology incompatible with GSM.

So if they release the next gen iPhone as a multi network "world" phone, and you are able to tether that to the iPad wouldn't that make more sense from an Apple standpoint?

Why kill off one market by introducing another, when you can market 2 and make even more money thanks to the "halo effect".
  • Reply 35 of 98
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

with iPhone OS 3.2 being iPad-only for the time being

So Flurry Analytics was correct after all.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Multi-tasking is coming with iPhone 0S 4.0 and it will be supported on the iPad.

Apple just couldn't announce it or show it off today because it would steal the thunder from the next iPhone/OS4.0 announcement when it comes.

Count on it.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

So if they release the next gen iPhone as a multi network "world" phone, and you are able to tether that to the iPad wouldn't that make more sense from an Apple standpoint?

Why kill off one market by introducing another, when you can market 2 and make even more money thanks to the "halo effect".

Some who has actually reviewed the specs on Apple's website!
  • Reply 38 of 98
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I think Apple have found the optimal casual computing device.

more interesting is i got a message from a friend. he works in a hospital, in the ER, and they have been looking into some kind of digital system to link the ER, the ICU, Surgery, Pharmacy, Blood Bank and Records system. The goal is quicker communication and also no issues with handwriting. with luck they could have dosage calculators and systems to warn them that Patient John's record shows that he's taking X which should not be mixed with the Y you want to give him, Z is the better choice.

Apparently the hospital has gotten money from some really rich family to try to set up this system. And one of the board members saw the info about the ipad and is buzzing with the idea that this might be just what they need. If they can buy or develop the software.

Someone else even suggested that the ipads might be a good tool for when they want patients to watch info videos about what's going to happen during their treatment, to entertain kids in for chemo or other treatments etc.

makes me wonder what other businesses could find ways to use the device.

Quote:

The only thing I personally don't love is the home screen - those little icons look a bit spread out and sparse - not as polished as the rest of the UI.

agreed. hopefully that is something that can be user set. if not now then a quick update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple is screwing over their customers once again for guaranteed bank from AT&T.

but not really given that they are offering wi-fi only, plus there's no contract on the 3g so you could be on it for a day and quit if you like. restart when you need. or go without it.

My boss is already stoked cause we do shoots all over town, sometimes out on the water or in the desert where wifi isn't so available. so being able to start the 3g for the 2 months of a major project and then kill it when that's over and we are in town for six months thrills him.

his only beef is the camera issue. but he figures that wouldn't be that horrid, just take some getting used to. after all right now we are connecting a camera to a full laptop to send stuff back and forth

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I can't say multi-tasking worries me all that much. If an app can remember it's last state when you shut it down and re-open in the same condition

and fast. then it really isn't an issue is it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Re: Camera support

The official Apple iPad spec page has a camera adapter listed on the bottom under Accessories.

yes but what folks have been asking about is a camera that goes directly into the ipad or a webcam for chatting. doesn't sound like this adapter would work for that. or at least not that efficiently. but as I said, someone is likely to come up with a little dock connector snap on since you can flip the ipad over no worries. maybe something about the size of the TuneTalk mike.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

When you travel, you will be able to pop out the SIM for a local one to avoid crazy data roaming charges... that alone is worth something.

I believe they said it's a microSim so it might not be totally that easy. but in theory yes.

Also for all we know T-Mobile is working behind the scenes and the means to support the ipad's 'correct' spectrum will arrive shortly.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The AT&T-only is a major shocker. Apple is screwing over their customers once again for guaranteed bank from AT&T. Really embarrassing.

The iPad will find its own level and should sell well, despite the current limitations.

It's not a shocker to me.

I don't see biggest crowd being folks traveling in zones without a Wifi access point and needing 3G.

The non-3G product will sell very well. I've already got a phone. I've got 2 laptops and a workstation with another one shortly.

This device will serve a lot of needs that allow me to spend time around my house or near the multitude of hot spots I already have access to with Qwest via the Wifi, and freeing me up from carrying a laptop.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    bawbaw Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Sorry for ranting, but they built it up sooo much. I'm truly bummed. I'm just glad I didn't take off work to watch the liveblogs.

Who is the "they" about which you rant? Certainly not Apple, who released no specific information about the iPad ahead of time. The build up of your expectations was almost entirely due to the antics, speculations, rumors, and outright lies of the Apple blogosphere and news sites. So next time, to avoid being truly bummed about not getting all of the features you wanted on an Apple product that did not yet officially exist, don't read anything on the web until after Apple actually ANNOUNCES the danged thing. But it's silly to blame Apple.