iPad iBooks app US-only, McGraw-Hill absent from Apple event

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

You must be all upset cause I used the word "new". \

Nope, because you used the word "Improved" in your sig.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    Quote:

Oh so you 're not into the Supersized Touch much either? Are we on the same page?

Sigh, here we are on the not-so-long road to another round of your banishment from these lands... Well, when you weren't around, it was good while it lasted. You're like that demon in Paranormal Activity. Has someone been tempting you to show yourself?
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:

Oh so you 're not into the Supersized Touch much either? Are we on the same page?

You mean, "Are we on the same iPad?"
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I think this is wrong. This is a device with the U.S. college student firmly in mind. Other countries will follow, depending on when the publishers get on board.

One question I haven't seen addressed: if a book is in pdf form will the iPad be able to read it? I'm assuming that even if this isn't the default format that it would be an easy functionality for a third party developer to add.

This is probably going to be a hot area for iPad apps, there will be various Book Collection & Reader kind of apps. You add PDFs, and several other formats out there.

The big driver for a paid app of this sort will be to get a lot of public domain books easily loaded onto the iPad.

The interface benchmark is there as well, on a nice-looking font selection, multi-touch and visual feel of reading paper-based material.

The iPad is, despite iBooks being the "controlled area", going to be the platform on which a smooth, delicious and premium e-reading experience will blossom.

There are precedents on the iPhone, though of course there how someone reads a book on an iPhone is lost on me. But now with the iPad...

The multifunctionality of the iPad will drive its success and adoption.

I reiterate my 10 million units in 2010 prediction. Regardless of whatever vile, apprehension, praise, vitriol, debate, hate, love, desire.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Bottom line, Apple expects you to honor your NDA.

Some companies still think of Apple as "the little electronics company that could", and think they can do as they wish.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

At this point I'm neutral. If I compare it to a kindle the iPad, imo, blows the kindle away, however as a mini laptop, netbook, whatever ... not so much. Two things 'tho ... one, you can't expect a full blown computer for 499.00 and lastly ...Apple has shown me enough over the last 15-20 years to make me believe that they know the marketplace better than I do so I'm prepared to sit back and see what happens.

I await the future releases to see if they can pry my wallet open. This one won't do it but then I'm not their target demographic here.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Again, traditional media companies are seeing their physical media profits obliterate in front of their eyes and still deny the obvious desire for common, global standards and availability.

I am actually surprised book publishers won't even do a standard US, Canada, UK+Europe thing for English books. Just US only. *Sigh*

HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED ANYTHING FROM THE MUSIC AND MOVIE INDUSTRY CRUMBLING IN FRONT OF YOU, OH MIGHTY BOOK PUBLISHERS OF WHICH PEOPLE READING PHYSICAL BOOKS IS NOT EXACTLY A GROWTH AREA?

Well, that's why I have an iTunes US Account.

They can't. It is against the law.

Quote:

Copyright Fundamentals

Like trademark law, copyright is largely territorial in nature. There is no complete ?international? law of copyright. Each country sets forth its own substantive and procedural rules with respect to the protection and use of works in their respective jurisdictions. Thus, it has often been the case in the past that works would be protected in one jurisdiction, but not in another.

http://www.ladas.com/Patents/Compute...damentals.html I would suggest everyone read the entire article.

Why blame Apple or the publishers who respect the laws of the land that we made and make them abide to.?

I don't know about you, but I am not about to relinquish my sovereignty to the guy next door because I think his wife is hot. Well I would, but my wife wouldn't let me.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

They can't. It is against the law.

Why blame Apple or the publishers who respect the laws of the land that we made and make them abide to.?

I don't know about you, but I am not about to relinquish my sovereignty to the guy next door because I think his wife is hot. Well I would, but my wife wouldn't let me.

Well if she gets mad it might be that time of the month and if it is then she should buy an iPad

• Reply 89 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Well if she gets mad it might be that time of the month and if it is then she should b[u]y an iPad

I wouldn't go there.

However, I had her watch the iPad video (on her Titanium, a third-hand-me-down) and her immediate reaction was, "I never asked for a computer, an iPod or an iPhone. But I want an iPad. And, "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets.*"

*Music and words were written by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross for Gwen Verdon to sing in the 1955 musical play Damn Yankees.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    I can't beileve they are trying to bullshit their way out of this one.

Does this quote sound "speculative":

We have worked with Apple for quite awhile, and the tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system, and so it will be transferable.

That seems like a factual statement to me. Coming from the CEO, I fail to see how anyone could possibly interpret this as "speculative" instead of factual.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    Can understand that they've only got the US book deals in place at the outset - given the various legal wranglings that have to take place before these things can be confirmed - but given that the iBooks is one of the core functions of the iPad then they'll really need to get these things sorted out before commercial launch in other countries - would otherwise be a big inhibitor to initial growth.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

the kindle only recently became available in canada and there are many restrictions. It took one year for the iphone to sell up here. This is not a matter of an internal mess. It has to do with the notion of sovereignty which most people (not i) support.

Philip

what does sovereignty have to do with it? Is it a threaty to the national security of other countries to sell american books? As far as i know, democracies don´t have this kind of problem. Maybe other kinds of government do.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    I would like to know if I have a PDF, TXT, Word, or ePub document already, can I add it to the "iBook Shelf" on the iPad and have it function like was would be available directly from the iBook Store from Apple?

This will be the vast majority of what I would use this for. I already have a ton of eBooks I have collected over the years and if I can't use them on the iPad, then that is a HUGE issue for me.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I wouldn't go there.

However, I had her watch the iPad video (on her Titanium, a third-hand-me-down) and her immediate reaction was, "I never asked for a computer, an iPod or an iPhone. But I want an iPad. And, "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets.*"

*Music and words were written by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross for Gwen Verdon to sing in the 1955 musical play Damn Yankees.

And what a great song it is .... not bad "advice" for a "happy" marriage either.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

I can't beileve they are trying to bullshit their way out of this one.

Does this quote sound "speculative":

We have worked with Apple for quite awhile, and the tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system, and so it will be transferable.

That seems like a factual statement to me. Coming from the CEO, I fail to see how anyone could possibly interpret this as "speculative" instead of factual.

"McGraw's comments came as speculation over the iPad, then simply known as a forthcoming tablet from Apple, was at a fever pitch"

If you try harder to actually understand what you are reading you will find the comment applies to all of the speculation over the iPad ... not specific to iPad OS.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Well if she gets mad ...

Oh grow up.