Amazon has sold 'millions' of Kindles, overall sales increase 42%

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Honest question because I not sure of the answer. Is the iWorks available on the Tablet truly a full version? I know its multitouch but I most what I read led me to believe it was not as robust as the full version of iWorks the price of only 9.99 per App would also seem to confirm that.

The hardware no doubt is a step foward the problem is the OS is lacking. This Tablet could have easily used a version of Snow Leopard instead of the iPhone OS. Which at least in my opinion would have made it far more functional.

Then again I am not an Apple only users. I am use to Tablets being fully functioning systems which for some reason some Apple only users tend to disagree a Tablet should be running a full OS.

Well I only know what I saw in the keynote and the few reviews I have read, it seems pretty full, completely redesigned as it seemed though. But I guess we will have to wait.

I don't think you understand the paradigm of a tablet, full os x is a desktop class software it's optimised for anything but touch interfaces. I don't know why you can't make do with your OS X in your laptops, imacs and mac pros. This is a paradigm shift we are talking about here, let's just wait and try it before being dismissive, apple is very bold in treading waters that no one has ever gone to one such commercial scale. They have to be commended for that for sure.

No one expected all their productivity apps, as well as their major mail/ipod/calendar/etc. etc. to be overhauled. This is a huge plus if they work well. An easy keyboard dock is a great also, not many expected this either. A led ips display is perfect for showing drawing, or photos around, it will be great in hospital setting, it will be great in all sorts of store and business scenarios. What kind of machine have you seen at $499 with such a fabulous display and a brand new promising cpu. The case paradigm also seems very well thought out, it does look great to fold out and use as a stand for video watching, it does look great to make it stand and type on a desk as well.

Apple has been evolving the tablet since twenty years ago, they went about it first callously and prematurely then took very slow calculated steps, they have built a whole ecosystem around it, so much development of apps is going on for it. While the lazy bums at ms have been sitting on their asses producing almost nothing of any worth for the past ten or more years, another giant, apple, with their + and - have been routinely pushing the borders with their devices. So what if this thing does not have a camera or a 128ssd in there, apple could have made that device, but then the prices would start at 850, not end there, sony sells netbooks at $1000 that are stinkers and no one bats an eye lid but they somehow expect apple to sell their latest and greatest at dirt cheap prices. Well, guess what, they have come very close to doing exactly that this time.
  • Reply 62 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

Just curious when did you manage to try out the iPad?

Gotta love the hyperbole of "heavy clunky iPad." 1.5lbs for the iPad v. 1.18lbs for the Kindle DX.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I should take some time to gather some of the insane statement made here over the last week. I could write my own book with them. I would be a comedy of course.

You already are a comedy.
  • Reply 64 of 128
    Prediction: The Amazon Kindle app will not be available on the iPad because it will duplicate the functionality of the iPad. This will happen either off the bat or eventually once Apple realises this device will actually HELP Amazon.
  • Reply 65 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

Just curious when did you manage to try out the iPad?

What was the iBook software like. How did you find the amazing IPS LCD screens? What was it like being able to read in the dark? - I'm keen to know.

It sounds like you are setting up a bit of a double stanadard. How do you know the LED backlit IPS screen is amazing? Also, have you used the iPad for hours at a stretch?

I'm skeptical that IPS would make that much of a difference, most people can't tell the difference against TN except maybe the viewing angle. Heck, LED is nice, but how it's supposed to make a difference in eye strain isn't clear, seems the same to me, and I've seen complaints from a few people that think it's worse, I think it's a different pulse modulation that bothers a few people, though I think it's a minority.
  • Reply 66 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Prediction: The Amazon Kindle app will not be available on the iPad because it will duplicate the functionality of the iPad. This will happen either off the bat or eventually once Apple realises this device will actually HELP Amazon.

I hope not, that would be the one thing that would keep me from buying it since I'd loose the entire library of books I have already purchased through Amazon...
  • Reply 67 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It sounds like you are setting up a bit of a double stanadard. How do you know the LED backlit IPS screen is amazing? Also, have you used the iPad for hours at a stretch?

They sure look amazing to me. Apple changed the aluminium MacBooks from a TN display a few months before rebranding them MBPs. Those clearly looked different, but that could have been a better backlighting system.

That said, I think his comment in valid in that the display-type being comparatively passé and dull.
  • Reply 68 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm skeptical that IPS would make that much of a difference, most people can't tell the difference against TN except maybe the viewing angle. Heck, LED is nice, but how it's supposed to make a difference in eye strain isn't clear, seems the same to me, and I've seen complaints from a few people that think it's worse, I think it's a different pulse modulation that bothers a few people, though I think it's a minority.

Granted I'm playing up to his outlandish statements a little I admit but in all seriousness I found the IPS screen on my old 20" iMac to be significantly better than a TN screen in the later iMac - and the IPS was easily the best pre LED LCD screens I'd ever used.

I don't know how this will hold up to the iPad but I think it bodes well that they've not stuck the terrible screens in that the 1st Gen Alu Macbooks were given. The wide viewing angle makes something easy on the eye with less 'shadowing' or light banding.

One thing I have noticed is that using a Macbook Pro (last revision) on your lap ( i.e on the couch) you never actually accomplish a perfect viewing angle that you have when it's on a stand on your desk - or at least if you do the screen is usually about 1 meter away from your eyes.

If you actually hold it 6" to 10" from your face and angle it correctly ( face on) it may reveal a feeling that the iPad might have in actual use. Suddenly the clarity of the screen and text becomes quite remarkable and your peripheral vision is limited and your focus is intensified.

Realistically, nobody really knows anything about this device, but lots of people are making outlandish claims!!

I just hope that people are open minded enough to at least try it and that appears not to be the case right now.
  • Reply 69 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotta love the hyperbole of "heavy clunky iPad." 1.5lbs for the iPad v. 1.18lbs for the Kindle DX.

that extra .3lbs will break wrists.
  • Reply 70 of 128
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You already are a comedy.

And you are boring which is even worse.
  • Reply 71 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most Kindle book "sales" are for free books. there are hundreds of them in the Kindle store and i grabbed close to 100 of them for my iphone

In the press release, the 6 to 10 ratio is for books that are not free. They mentioned the number would be higher if it included free books.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....453&highlight=

"Millions of people now own Kindles," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "And Kindle owners read, a lot. When we have both editions, we sell 6 Kindle books for every 10 physical books. This is year-to-date and includes only paid books -- free Kindle books would make the number even higher. It's been an exciting 27 months."
  • Reply 72 of 128
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

That's a very interesting point. If Apple now does books, I wonder how they will stand on the duplication of functionality when it comes to apps like Stanza or the Kindle app. If they don't ban them from the store or at least the iPad then their rule has no consistency.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The LED IPS screen is IMO one of the few things making this device look like a worthwhile purchase. IPS gives you true 8bpc color vs 6bpc. The viewing angles make a big difference on a portable device. The hands-on videos show how stunning the screen is to look at - bright vivid colors and very evenly lit. CCFL backlight usually has the shadowy shape behind the image.

It's pretty much everything besides the CPU and screen that turns me off to the iPad. If they put a similar CPU and screen in the next iphone, I'll be upgrading.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove

It has a brand new custom apple chip

It's an Apple branded Cortex A9 Soc, not custom. PA Semi purchase was for IP.

Quote:

It has a bookstore and specially designed book app.

Except that the store will be US-only at launch or something like that. It will have all the same restrictions the current itunes store has internationally.

Quote:

It's much faster and more responsive (from what we have seen) than any smart phone/netbook, sorry crapbook/ or similar ebook reader on the market.

But it's not a smart phone nor a netbook and netbooks actually run ok. A netbook benchmarks between an old powerbook and an entry level G5 desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IljZaTDefUU

iPad is fast because it runs one app at a time and an iphone OS. If I said to you do you want me to downgrade your computer OS to OS 9 and force you to run one app at a time, would you be enthusiastic about the massive performance boost?

Apple made compromises which I fully expected but the wrong ones. When netbook hardware is able to run full OS X at that speed, they could have started with OS X, stripped out some parts and even had limitations on resources to make it run twice as fast.

Then people would see that Apple could make affordable hardware that vastly outperforms Windows netbooks but does everything they need and the purchase is a no-brainer. Instant compelling sale to a 30 million units per year target audience instead of a plausible sale to a 3 million per year audience.
  • Reply 73 of 128
    The real question is: can you tell the difference between hardcover and paperback in electronic format?
  • Reply 74 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

The real question is: can you tell the difference between hardcover and paperback in electronic format?

What differences are there besides the size of text and number of words on a typical page? Electronic books have adjustable test size so wouldn't that make it a moot point?
  • Reply 75 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

think of it like this

Hardcover = movie out in theatres

softcover = buying it in a bargain DVD bin

The "hardcover" means it is brand new

the "softcover" means it has been "reprinted" - and cheaper. Think of it also like syndication for a television show.

Stephen King made hardly anything for the first run of "Carrie", but made 400 000 dollars when they brought out the mass trade paper back. So "softcovers" should be cheaper in electronic form
  • Reply 76 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FACT: The Kindle can be EASILY held with one hand while reading(It is nice and thin). The iPad cannot. That makes for a lot less comfort while reading while laying down.
  • Reply 77 of 128
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The iPad will never kill the kindle, and only an idiot would think it will. It will however greatly reduce the market for the DX, which should also be obvious. Apparently, that market is quite small, as it fails for ebooks based on size and bulk relative to the smaller units.

The Kindle is great for some people. Nice to have a cheaper, smaller device with a very long battery life. Likewise, I hope iBook has a plugin architecture to allow it to operate with other bookstores. (Actually hope they can do the same with the iPod application to allow for background music from other sources.)

if apple keeps things reasonably open, the ipad will be quite big.
  • Reply 78 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

FACT: The Kindle can be EASILY held with one hand while reading(It is nice and thin). The iPad cannot. That makes for a lot less comfort while reading while laying down.

That extra 0.3 libra tips the scale from "EASILY" to "cannot"?

A helium ballon displaces about 18 grams, which is about 0.4lbs. You do realize that by my calculations you are saying that the lifting power of a 2-day old ballon is make it or break it weight for you.
  • Reply 79 of 128
    Great thing about Kindle and iPad. There is little overlap for both products, so both will be able to fill niche markets.
  • Reply 80 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's a very interesting point. If Apple now does books, I wonder how they will stand on the duplication of functionality when it comes to apps like Stanza or the Kindle app. If they don't ban them from the store or at least the iPad then their rule has no consistency.

I wonder how that's going to shake out, it would seem pretty lame that there is an iPhone app but an iPad app isn't allowed.

Quote:

The LED IPS screen is IMO one of the few things making this device look like a worthwhile purchase. IPS gives you true 8bpc color vs 6bpc. The viewing angles make a big difference on a portable device. The hands-on videos show how stunning the screen is to look at - bright vivid colors and very evenly lit. CCFL backlight usually has the shadowy shape behind the image.

It's not as simple as 6 vs 8 pixels, because most TN displays dither in a way that's imperceptible to a lot of people, the difference is a lot closer to 7.5 vs 8 bpp.

LED makes it more even, true, it seems to stem from more flexibility in light placement in a portable display.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

You mean the smaller Kindle or the DX?

Why does sense to you to make such a declaration without actually trying the device first?