Amazon has sold 'millions' of Kindles, overall sales increase 42%

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

So what if this thing does not have a camera or a 128ssd in there, apple could have made that device, but then the prices would start at 850, not end there,

Do you think that this is the start of a trend for Apple, where they intentionally make lesser devices than they otherwise would , in order to hit a low price point?

If so, that seems like a whole new strategy for them. It will be interesting to see.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Batman_007 View Post

iBooks is perfect for iPad. iPad will unlock this market. A device (kindle) dedicated for reading books is limited in scope.

And that's probably fine for most Kindle users. I really doubt that people purchasing e-book readers expect to be able to browse the web on there. I'd be interested to know how much this thing impacts Apple's own iPod Touch and Macbook sales though.

I still don't get why anybody really sees them in competition. On magazines maybe. But for books and newspapers, where colour just isn't as important (with some notable exceptions), it's going to come down to content and access. Avid readers aren't going to buy an iPad as an alternative to the Kindle (or the nook) only to discover that they don't have access to as much content as they would at other e-book stores (Amazon still has more content in the Kindle store than iBooks will...for now). And this is especially going to be the case if Amazon drops the price of the Kindle. I really doubt they are still going to be selling Kindle DX's at $489 when the iPad hits the streets.

And again, everybody seems to be ignoring the value of Whispernet. Content delivery, for free, virtually anywhere in the world. No need to pay a premium to get a device that can connect to a 3G network. No need to hunt for wifi. No need to find a provider using microsims.

Undoubtedly the iPad will impact Kindle sales. But I sincerely doubt the impact is going to be as frightful as everybody here imagines. Kindles will keep selling largely as they have: to avid readers who don't want to read on a LCD screen. The iPads will outsell the Kindle, because it's targeting several markets (like the light notebook user crowd for example) and will steal customers across the board. That's why I have a tough time as seeing them in a direct zero-sum competition.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

You are entirely wrong in your perception of who this is for. It is designed primarily for the non or casual Mac user.

Do you think Apple will make one for the rest of us someday?
  • Reply 124 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Do you think Apple will make one for the rest of us someday?

Nope. They've finally tasted the profits that can be made ignoring the Mac purists. Why would they go back to those poor days where they were the nice guy who nobody took seriously?
  • Reply 125 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It is not an oversized ipod touch, you are misrepresenting the device, it isn't one because

It has an led ips display

It has a brand new custom apple chip

It has a brand new productivity suite customised for it, you can do pages, keynote, numbers, none of these are done on the touch, actually none of the tablets have customised word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet applications.

It has all major applications overhauled and fitted with a new touch paradigm specifically for this device, be it mail, or contacts, or even maps.

It has screaming battery life.

It has a bookstore and specially designed book app.

It's much faster and more responsive (from what we have seen) than any smart phone/netbook, sorry crapbook/ or similar ebook reader on the market.

The sdk has just been released for even more potential to be realised.

I won't bake, do the washing, make coffee, or land on the moon.

When Apple puts the chip, the battery and the screen on the iPhone/iTouch and maybe even offers some of the iPad apps like iBooks and iWorks Touch on there, what'll that make the iPad?

I'd agree that it's not quit a giant iPod Touch. But it's a hell of a lot closer to an iPod Touch than it is to the iMac I am using right now or my brother's macbook. This thing is not a computer. It's a very pretty mobile internet device (MID). That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's a market for such a device to be sure. But's let's not pretend it's something better than what it really is.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

When Apple puts the chip, the battery and the screen on the iPhone/iTouch and maybe even offers some of the iPad apps like iBooks and iWorks Touch on there, what'll that make the iPad?

I'd agree that it's not quit a giant iPod Touch. But it's a hell of a lot closer to an iPod Touch than it is to the iMac I am using right now or my brother's macbook. This thing is not a computer. It's a very pretty mobile internet device (MID). That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's a market for such a device to be sure. But's let's not pretend it's something better than what it really is.

Exactly. And if Apple's intention is to evolve into something else other than what it has been released to market as - then it's a "HOBBY".

Plain and simple.
  • Reply 127 of 128
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Will it multitask properly?

Not as it was shown on Wednesday.
  • Reply 128 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I get what you're saying, but even if the Pad doesn't fit your idea of what a computer is, it still fits the computer science and electrical engineering definitions of a computer.