Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA Apple iPad persist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I Think Steve Would Call CDMA a "Rounding Error"

Except that Apple for the last 30 years --- has been a rounding error in the PC market share department as well.

If that 10% market share is highly profitable, then Apple should be in it.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

That depends on who it would be profitable for. Something I don't see possible between Apple and Verizon...
  • Reply 23 of 73
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It wouldn't be that hard for the 3G radio to be modular where they just swap a CDMA radio for a GSM unit. The challenge with the CDMA is they still need the worldphone chipset that can also do dual-band HSPDA, which would make that radio a $150-180 premium over the WiFi version.

I think Apple's ability to do a no-contract deal with AT&T, and to be able to easily activate and de-activate service as needed is the real genius of the approach. I just can't see Verizon agreeing to that. Sprint... maybe... but Verizon?!
  • Reply 24 of 73
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Actually, I think Verizon should make a 3G hardware accessory (dongle) and app for the iPhone / Touch / iPad.

Imagine doing VOIP using a Verizon app on the iPod Touch!
  • Reply 25 of 73
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?

60 days wifi

90 days wifi/3g
  • Reply 26 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Except that Apple for the last 30 years --- has been a rounding error in the PC market share department as well.

Like, for example, high end PCs? Apple is in that small, 10% market. Making billions. This has been the state of Apple, unchanged, for some time now.

Apple, as a worldwide company that often looks to the future sooner than others, probably could not fathom making a CDMA-anything. One glance at CDMA as worldwide factor puts it all into perspective.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I would not be investing any thought/interest into Apple & CDMA. It is simply not happening.

Some people made some bad predictions and are now publicly trying to save face. Since Apple never confirms or denies anything, analysts can make all the wild speculation they want, and back track as much as they want when it never pans out. The guy saying he's "not 100% sure what happened" is someone who never had any actual information to begin with, and puts off having to defend his (originally made up) claims, by differing for a few months.

Total nonsense.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I Think Steve Would Call CDMA a "Rounding Error"

Maybe, but even an extra one or two hundred million on the bottom line would probably make it worth the effort.

I expect that AT&T is giving Apple something pretty healthy to make them stay.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    This is getting old. Verizon is doing this to retain customers as long as possible. People are waiting till June to see what happens before they jump ship for an iPhone. Verizon is scraping the sides of the barrel. They are scared cause AT&T is catching upto their customer numbers even tho they suck coverage wise. Verizon even released an internal memo saying that the day the ipad was announced a big day was going to happen at 1pm. (same time as keynote). Did it happen? No. Apple kicked them in the nads and publicly backed AT&T.

I am getting sick of hearing the rumor of verizon. If he ipad was going to be veirzon too...they would have announce it at the keynote. Apple likes secrets but not post announcement surprises. It would discredit their announcments to the max.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Maybe, but even an extra one or two hundred million on the bottom line would probably make it worth the effort.

I expect that AT&T is giving Apple something pretty healthy to make them stay.

Well, dropping the Mac Mini and white MacBook prices by $250 each tomorrow would likely have that result too. Doesn't mean its anywhere near an Apple-minded decision.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Actually, I think Verizon should make a 3G hardware accessory (dongle) and app for the iPhone / Touch / iPad.

Imagine doing VOIP using a Verizon app on the iPod Touch!

Imagine the daily dropped calls, just like every other carrier. Having 8 years of Verizon to back up my claims I'm not any more impressed with ``Can You Hear Me Now?'' today than I was back in 2002.

I'm on the I-90 corridor where 5 bars are a given.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon, you blew it....twice. In 2007 with the iPhone and now in 2010 with the iPad. The entire world is going to HSPA-3G (Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle, Sony eReader)....no one wants to build a CDMA product. They want 1 product....that works for most of the world.

No kidding! That's the whole story.

No company is going to waste time, energy, resources and money to create a special version of a phone for a regional cell network standard that's due to be phased out in a few years.

ONE device that works on ANY network, WORLDWIDE.

PLEASE let their be an END to these iPhone on Verizon rumors!!!!

I'm going to start a brand new rumor:

Apple is making a special version of the iPad with parallel and serial ports just for Windows users.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

Heh heh, they have 5% of MSFT-based PCs' share and yet their market cap is 70% of that of MSFT!

Does it occur to you that represents actual wealth Apple has created, that puts food on people's tables, helps pay their rent and heat, sends their kids to college?

Last I looked, you can't eat off of market share.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It wouldn't be that hard for the 3G radio to be modular where they just swap a CDMA radio for a GSM unit. The challenge with the CDMA is they still need the worldphone chipset that can also do dual-band HSPDA, which would make that radio a $150-180 premium over the WiFi version.

I think Apple's ability to do a no-contract deal with AT&T, and to be able to easily activate and de-activate service as needed is the real genius of the approach. I just can't see Verizon agreeing to that. Sprint... maybe... but Verizon?!

Sprint is CDMA, too, so it's the same story as Verizon.

T-Mobile is 3G.

So only AT&T and T-Mobile support international cell phone standard sin the US.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Apple is making a special version of the iPad with parallel and serial ports just for Windows users.

Where do I sign up? Where do I sign up?

• Reply 35 of 73
    Damn it! this has been going on since the iPhone came out. Just stop reporting on those paid shills for christ sake.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Apple wants everyone to have an iPad. Why would they limit the 3G version to Verizon? Give people a choice.

I just want to tether my wi-fi iPad to my iPhone, which I am already paying for unlimited data. Gotta wait until that is confirmed.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Apple prides itself with offering the best cutting edge technology. If Apple will not support Adobe Flash because it views Flash as an inferior product, they are certainly not going to build an iPhone to work with Verizon?s CDMA network. The only way that you are going to see an iPhone on Verizon?s network is if Verizon upgrades its network, which it will start later this year with its 4G FTE for data and will be available in 2012 for voice (same time that AT&T has its 4G network).

If you want a smart phone on Verizon?s network, your best choice is to go with a Motorola Droid and in two years, the iPhone should be available for Verizon.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

... The wireless world is now divided into GSM (much of Western Europe) and CDMA (North America and parts of Asia)...

This should read "Parts of North America, and Parts of Asia" actually.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    People love to make this sh!t up.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

... Apple is making a special version of the iPad with parallel and serial ports just for Windows users.

As long as it has a giant LPT1 connector for my dot matrix printer. I really need that, so everyone must.