Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.3 with battery reporting fix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Hey guys!

Great news: If you're lucky enough to own an unlocked iPhone 3G/3GS, this update to 3.1.3 will bring back tethering without a signed carrier profile!

International sites apparently haven't picked up on this yet, but I have already heard reports of this on a lot of German news sites, and have checked myself with an iPhone bought from Apple Italy (where they are sold unlocked).

Hope you're not bound by AT&T!

Jonathan
  • Reply 42 of 66
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

I updated my itouch 3g and there is no option to add a digital battery display song with the picture, so I guess it is just to make the 3gs digital battery display more accurate. If you want a digital display you'll just have to download some free app off the app store.

My 3GS already has it (I haven't updated yet). I guess there were complaints about 3GS battery level being incorrectly reported? If so, I haven't experienced it. Quite the opposite in fact.

Ah well. I'll update anyway, assuming this one has no major bugs.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

I updated my itouch 3g and there is no option to add a digital battery display song with the picture, so I guess it is just to make the 3gs digital battery display more accurate. If you want a digital display you'll just have to download some free app off the app store.

The Touch for some reason has never had that available and it is virtually impossible to tell your level accurately unless as you said get an app.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Still using 3.0.2 here. the 3.1 updates have always seemed so buggy, do we really need a third fix to an update of an update?
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

The Touch for some reason has never had that available and it is virtually impossible to tell your level accurately unless as you said get an app.

Let's get this clear... the only unit that can display battery % without using other apps is the 3GS. No other iphones/touches can do this even with the latest firmwares.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    I've just updated my 3G without a hitch. it seems a bit more responsive than before. I'm now upgrading my 3GS
  • Reply 47 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goron59 View Post

iTunes updated, iPhone updated.

No problems.

But then no hackery or jailbreaking.

Same here.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Same here.

Just finished my 3GS. Seems fine. Weird install/progress bar after the install completed and rebooted but it only lasted for a few seconds and it booted up without issue.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Let's get this clear... the only unit that can display battery % without using other apps is the 3GS. No other iphones/touches can do this even with the latest firmwares.

All the iPhones and itouches are able to display he digital battery level, but apple only let's the 3gs, idk why. If you jailbreak any of the iPhones or itouches, you can make it display the battery.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I always cross my finger when a new update comes out that they will finally fix VPN. It's starting to get really ridiculous that it has been broken for 7-8 months now.

I have been using VPN since I got my iPhone 3GS last November, and I am not having any problems at all. The VPN tunnel is terminated by a Cisco 871 router.

Edit: VPN for me as IPsec VPN, not L2TP.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Both iPhones and an iPod touch (aka iPhone v.1 now used as an iPod Touch) all updated fine here. Isn't it amazing to read people bitching? In the past we chucked cell phones away every year and got a new one. Now even an old original iPhone v.1. is still very useful as an iPod touch.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schildkroeter View Post

Hey guys!

Great news: If you're lucky enough to own an unlocked iPhone 3G/3GS, this update to 3.1.3 will bring back tethering without a signed carrier profile!

International sites apparently haven't picked up on this yet, but I have already heard reports of this on a lot of German news sites, and have checked myself with an iPhone bought from Apple Italy (where they are sold unlocked).

Hope you're not bound by AT&T!

Jonathan

OH MY GOD YES!

Tethering works perfectly on all the New Zealand networks again, conveniently right before I head off to university!

Pretty stoked eh.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ? Recovery Mode

CVE-ID: CVE-2010-0038

Available for: iPhone OS 1.0 through 3.1.2, iPhone OS for iPod touch 1.1 through 3.1.2

Impact: A person with physical access to a locked device may be able to access the user's data

Description: A memory corruption issue exists in the handling of a certain USB control message. A person with physical access to the device could use this to bypass the passcode and access the user's data. This issue is addressed through improved handling of the USB control message.

Source

This should make corporate clients happy.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 55 of 66
    It would be too kind, if Apple just told it's users what all those updates REALLY contained.

Writing fixes that have been contained in 3.1 isn't helpful.

Good news that teathering is back.

Although I have an unlocked iPhone I'm waiting for the jailbreak since I'm not willing to accept all those stupid restrictions made by Apple for no obvious reason other than to take money out of my pocket.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    I could never get a signal in the garage at my job and now i can.

3g speeds in Dallas are blazing fast now.

Like crazy fast!!

So what did this update really do?, speed up network services on ATT's network.

hope it takes care of the dropped calls too.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I could never get a signal in the garage at my job and now i can.

3g speeds in Dallas are blazing fast now.

Like crazy fast!!

So what did this update really do?, speed up network services on ATT's network.

hope it takes care of the dropped calls too.

That is bizarre. I'm getting 10 mb/s on the wireless link, which is far faster than usual (usual was 2-3 mb/s.

I don't really see any improvement in 3G only speeds (I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth as well). Typical upload and download speeds both before and after the update.

Huge increase in wireless speed however.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Updating the iPhone OS to 3.1.3 for both my iPhone and iPod touch has proven to be fruitful toward a better syncing experience and improved audio quality from both the devices.*

The improvement in syncing is not only noticable after the firmware update to the devices but more so after updating iTunes to 9.0.3.*

I've also noticed 3 new visualizers in iTunes. Pretty cool indeed. Worth a look.*
  • Reply 59 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I decided to DL the update, but specifically to not install it since I am on a jailbroken phone. In fact, I was using it to tether since my hotel only offers wired internet in an inconvenient location. I didn't bring my 25ft ethernet cable. Somehow (likely my fault) the update installed after it downloaded, wiping my jailbreak, and of course my unlock which affects my tethering.

Oh well. If you're gonna walk off the beaten path you have to accept the trip will be rough at times.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    updated my 3GS took a few minutes and no problems at all, it was actually faster than I thought it would be