Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey

Comments

• Reply 101 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Lost interest AFTER unveiling? I lost interest WHILE they were unveiling....

no multitask, no flash, no camera, no interest....

well there were sone moans from the audience as well as no clapping when there should of been. I think some of this was due to all the hype only to find out it was a locked down big iPod touch. Without handbrake, you cannot watch movies or tv shows download from the net and to the general consumer, that means no movies at all.

Then there's "...This is Steve Jobs most important work" only to find out the OS is the iPhone OS, lack of installing your own mac programs to being tied down to the app store, cost and another per month fee and we know that 3G is slowly compared to the web. Had they allowed codecs like mpeg, avi, xvid, offered free 3g to iPhone customer and a lack of negative press (google, there is quite a bit, one in particular that spoke about how some netbooks were cheaper and much more powerful), I think the ipad would have been better received.

All this AT&T, app store, paid 3G ( not that fast ), price, no stylus, no flash for 75% of all web, 100% for all network /cable television, this turned out to not be Job's most important work at all. If Jobs made the white MacBook $500, the ipad would never sell.

YMMV
  • Reply 102 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Do you know anyone you trust who rips you off? Do I have to spell it out to you?

You must at least understand what you write.

And to give a somewhat more direct response, did you look at the weight of the iPad3G (compared to the non 3G iPad).

Do you know about shielding, testing etc, etc?

J.

FuturePastNow didn't get the fact that you're Dutch and your English is a little weak idiomatically. I scratched my head for a second over your "trust" statement, until I realized that you would have been clearer if you had said, ". . . how little trust. . ." instead of ". . .how much trust. . .".

Not making excuses for the guy, though! I personally think he's rather clueless.
  • Reply 103 of 407
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

Most of my kids games use flash, without flash it is useless to me.

It's okay to admit that you play kids' flash games, you know. ;-)
  • Reply 104 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The original iPhone didn't start out slow. The iPhone was the biggest phone launch AT&T ever had. It just grew and became bigger as time went on. Palm Pre, Droid, Nexus none of them matched the iPhones launch numbers.

How can you declare the iPad a slow starter when its not even on sale yet?

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.
  • Reply 105 of 407
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

MacDailyNews conducts polls as well. http://answers.polldaddy.com/macdailynews/

The poll re "Will you buy an Apple iPad is still ongoing.

Obvious the protocols are significantly different. However, they each tell us something. It will be interesting how it all turns out.

IMO, the iPad will succeed. And amazingly well. Just perusing the demos shown during the keynote and the fact that they were built in less than three weeks, the potential is mind boggling.

In particular, the MBL demo is a hint what could be done in virtually any business. Especially in medicine; viewing patient health record histories is certain. Combining that with a point-of-care patient record keeping is simply creating sets of forms and filling then in as required and as was demoed in the Numbers app. Pushing the info to a cloud server as we can do now with iCal, Mail and Address Book seems to me a no-brainer.

Writing prescriptions or ordering lab tests again is simply filling in a form, pushing it to a server and outputting it to from there.

Really, data does not have to be stored permanently on the iPad. I can see a physician committing (filing) the patient's record simply by docking it after the encounter. Much like we do now with paper records. Since each individual record is relational, only one active file would called and set for viewing securely at any one time.

In essence, the demos presented during the keynote address is just the start of what is in the future. Whether you take only one of them and build apps with similar features for a particular program/enterprisse or a combination of two or all of them, the opportunities are endless.

For those that hesitate and say, 'wait for the next generation', think about what would happen if everybody waited for a 'second' telephone.

Of course, anything to do with MDN is a crock also. That is possibly the MOST fanboyish Mac site around.
  • Reply 106 of 407
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wondered how this thread grew so quickly in such a short time... then i saw TEKSTUD was trolling. Makes sense now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Flash, Americans lose interest in Super Bowl after the game. (Borrowed from another forum)

Right?! I just did a survey. The interest in Christmas has dropped considerably since December. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling it'll start picking up again in November.

Funny how interest wanes when something is no longer being pushed down your throat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

$130 extra for 3G is a rip-off. The chip and antenna probably cost $0.50. Hell, the chip is probably just disabled in the non-3G.

That is no way to start a Monday. The 3G components, according to iSuppli for the iPhone 3GS, are more around $20. That doesn't include anything else for the cost of the device. These aren't LEGO! You don't just snap it in and call it a day.
  • Reply 107 of 407
    The survey I did showed that 0% of those surveyed had heard of Retrevo before being shown this article. After glancing at it 0% felt it was worth their trouble and 0% will not bother to read about Retrevo again.
  • Reply 108 of 407
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It is amazing what the little fanboys here will believe in. They actually think the iPad is more than an iPod Touch.

It clearly is, you just don't get the bigger picture. But at any rate, can't you see how much more useful a larger iPod Touch can be? Really?
  • Reply 109 of 407
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

well there were sone moans from the audience as well as no clapping when there should of been. I think some of this was due to all the hype only to find out it was a locked down big iPod touch. Without handbrake, you cannot watch movies or tv shows download from the net and to the general consumer, that means no movies at all.

Then there's "...This is Steve Jobs most important work" only to find out the OS is the iPhone OS, lack of installing your own mac programs to being tied down to the app store, cost and another per month fee and we know that 3G is slowly compared to the web. Had they allowed codecs like mpeg, avi, xvid, offered free 3g to iPhone customer and a lack of negative press (google, there is quite a bit, one in particular that spoke about how some netbooks were cheaper and much more powerful), I think the ipad would have been better received.

All this AT&T, app store, paid 3G ( not that fast ), price, no stylus, no flash for 75% of all web, 100% for all network /cable television, this turned out to not be Job's most important work at all. If Jobs made the white MacBook $500, the ipad would never sell.

YMMV

Yes but on the flipside a tablet running Mac OS X would have simply been a Tablet with a few "Touch" enabled features. You ever jumped on a Windows 7 Touch desktop and found out how boring it is?

I think Apple's correct here. Touch requires a different UI paradigm and neither Mac OS X or Windows 7 are really up to the challenge IMO.

As for video...most video you get into iTunes should work. I'm not worried about it and hopefully Apple will be able to negotiate better rates for their iTunes video content.

The bleating about Flash is ridiculous. It's as if some of you actually desire a proprietary web. Much like Amazon's influence over eBook pricing is quickly coming to and end because publishers have other options Apple and other web stalwarts will be giving web developers other options with HTML5 and other tools.

I don't wish to view the web through one companies tools. Flash has annoyed me (adds) just as much as it has helped me. Click2Flash has been a godsend and that says about about Flash's future as a web tech
  • Reply 110 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's easy to lose interest in something you can't buy.

Apple needs to stop this nonsense of debuting a product and then saying it will be available X months later.

People show as much interest in the iPad as the Apple TV, which Apple never advertises and word of mouth is not working. If Apple is going to keep public interest up, they are going to have to either debut it again or start advertising it.

I don't think Apple had much choice but to do it this way! After this PR Big Bang (1/27/10 Annnouncement), while the iPad is being made, Steve Jobs and others can sit down and negotiate with the Content Providers. Remember, this is a New Category Device! Otherwise what? Negotiate with the Content Providers under NDA and dilute the PR Big Bang!

Remember, this is a New Category Device, not some hardware upgrade to laptop, or iPod, both of which etc. already exist!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkHernandez View Post

When I saw this mentioned a couple of days ago on another site I said it was "clickbait" and I'll say it here, too.

Clickbait!

What a meaningless waste of article space. Talk about something interesting and insightfu instead. Slow news day?

"Clickbait" - nice!!

When iPad is out, I am sure there will be a PR push! Also, given how much traffics there already is at Apple Stores, it'll push itself...
  • Reply 111 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

You're right, it is way too much like Auto shows, or CES when they do stuff like that. \

It's nothing like that.

At auto shows, you're presented with numerous "concept cars" that never make it to the marketplace. There have been two occasions when Apple has shown major products before release. The iPhone/Touch, and now the iPad.

Both of those lines will be released.

As has been mentioned, Both products needed FCC certification, as do almost all electronic devices. In fact, developers are in some cases complaining that Apple hasn't allowed enough time before the release, and would have preferred another couple of months.

It's a challenge that Apple has to take when doing this. Mostly, they introduce new products which are available right away, except for one or two versions. I think the timing is reasonable.
  • Reply 112 of 407
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

So almost 10% say they will buy one?

If that reflects the population at large,

AFAIK, it doesn't. AFAIK, the respondents were self-selected from an unusual group of consumers.
  • Reply 113 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It is amazing what the little fanboys here will believe in. They actually think the iPad is more than an iPod Touch. Not everything from Apple becomes popular.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

They announced it too early, and the features don't elevate it higher than the iPhone...

Neither of you understand this product.
  • Reply 114 of 407
    WTH is Retrevo?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Neither of you understand this product.

They will in time. This is how it always is on Apple forums.
  • Reply 115 of 407
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.

TenoBell is right, the original iPhone sold wickedly well. The 3GS outsold the 3G yet the App Store and 3G had existed for a year.
  • Reply 116 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Nice try...but I'm all Mac. Love Mac, three macs at home, carry a MacBook and iPhone, and do my part to convert people to mac... I just have the common sense to call them when they produce a dud. They should have kept this under wraps for another year and brought it out with a camera and multitasking, then I would be waiting in line.

Apple has mental market share though and I have no doubt they will make a profit on the iPad, I hope they do, I own stock. But, for me personally, I'll wait until I can use it to video iChat while I'm browsing the web and checking mail.

I don't know why more "fans" aren't upset about this giant touch.

Are you going to come back here after it's a success and admit you were wrong? You seem to be so sure about something you apparently know little. I find it interesting that people who have not used this sometimes think this way.

In PCmag, for example, two editors said in a more eloquent way, what you did, but they didn't see the device, and this was a day BEFORE the event. Two other editors for PCmag were at the event and did use it. The had the opposite reaction.

I put my bets on the reactions of those who have used it.
  • Reply 117 of 407
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A survey of more than 1,000 randomly selected customers at the online marketplace Retrevo

That explains it.

Really. !,000 randomly selected from a specific group of people with short attention spans.
  • Reply 118 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You do not seem to understand or realize their had to be an iPhone for their to be an iPhone 3GS.

Why? Wasn't Apple competent to build the 3GS back then? Were there technological breakthroughs that allowed cut and paste and a faster processor?
  • Reply 119 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by transocean View Post

No usb, no video, no outputs, no HiDef, no skype, similar functionality with iphone, iTunes only, no third party apps = limited use. Love macs, but this device simply doesnt fit

Did you just make all of this up?

USB through adapter. Video output through adapter. Hi def. Skype. Possibly third party music as with iPhone and Touch. 140,000 third party apps. New apps for iPad will be available at release.

Did you actually read anything about this before commenting?
  • Reply 120 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For those that hesitate and say, 'wait for the next generation', think about what would happen if everybody waited for a 'second' telephone.

I prefer to think about what would happen if everybody went to Disneyland this weekend.

Do you understand the point?