Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey

Comments

• Reply 121 of 407
    Revised Edit
  • Reply 122 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Why? Wasn't Apple competent to build the 3GS back then? Were there technological breakthroughs that allowed cut and paste and a faster processor?

Wasn't the competition able to build a better phone with a better interface? Wasn't the competition able to change the entire Mobile landscape almost overnight?\\

Even without cut and paste and 3G speeds, Apple showed the entire industry how it's done, and done right. And the also-rans *still* haven't got it right after over two years of witnessing everything Apple has done with the iPhone.

Apple seems to be setting the pace.
  • Reply 123 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, anything to do with MDN is a crock also. That is possibly the MOST fanboyish Mac site around.

They're also right most of the time, believe it or not.
  • Reply 124 of 407
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.

That's something we'll never know.
  • Reply 125 of 407
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In my opinion primary reason the 3G was such a big seller is because the price became subsidized. The app store and faster network connection did play a part in its success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.

• Reply 126 of 407
    The 3G radio chip used in 2008 wasn't available in 2007.

Quote:

Why? Wasn't Apple competent to build the 3GS back then? Were there technological breakthroughs that allowed cut and paste and a faster processor?

• Reply 126 of 407
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Is browsing better than on any device that has come before it?

Not without Flash it's not. I think that Joe Public will be pissed if Apple advertises that this is the best way to surf. The best bet is to let iSteve's ill-advised remark to die a quiet death.
  • Reply 128 of 407
    I can't bear to read all the comments here, but as far as I can tell, 9% of people (lets say adults) intend to buy an iPad... so that's probably 6 - 12 million in the US alone.
  • Reply 129 of 407
    Is anyone really expecting all that much public interest in a product that 1) has yet to ship, and 2) has yet to be advertised? C'mon. We had a friend over yesterday to watch the Superbowl, and I asked him if he heard about the iPad. Yeah, he heard of it, but seemed pretty ambivalent towards it. Then I showed him the short video clip posted on Apple's webpage. It blew him away. Take any current poll about the iPad's popularity with a large grain of salt.
  • Reply 130 of 407
    What evidence do you have that the general public cares anything about Flash?

Quote:

Not without Flash it's not. I think that Joe Public will be pissed if Apple advertises that this is the best way to surf. The best bet is to let iSteve's ill-advised remark to die a quiet death.

• Reply 131 of 407
    Quote:

Newer chips that came out allowed lower power use and better compatibility with the rest of the phone.

I'd rather a company start with an excellent base product and then build upon it, rather than trying to be everything to everyone, and having something that no one seems to want. The new Google Nexus One is a good example. Selling about 22,000 in the first week. Or the Palm Pre. Even the Droid sold much more poorly than any of the iPhone models, despite its being released just before the holiday selling season, while the iPhones were released in the slower summer months.
  • Reply 132 of 407
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

FuturePastNow didn't get the fact that you're Dutch and your English is a little weak idiomatically. I scratched my head for a second over your "trust" statement, until I realized that you would have been clearer if you had said, ". . . how little trust. . ." instead of ". . .how much trust. . .".

Not making excuses for the guy, though! I personally think he's rather clueless.

Hmm, yes, it's a language related 'error'. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
  • Reply 133 of 407
    Quote:

I prefer to think about what would happen if everybody went to Disneyland this weekend.

Do you understand the point?

No. Exactly what is that point?
  • Reply 134 of 407
    I'm actually surprised that there is not more outcry/complaining that Apple is moving down the road of an OS that's completely locked away from the user and forcing them to only run applications that Apple deems are 'good' to run. This is fine when we're talking about a cell phone that we might pay $200 for with a subsidy from AT&T (Generalizing on the price) but when someone's dropping close to $1k for a device, I would assume that they'd be able to have the ability to choose 'what' they want to run on it.

Additionally - do we as users of such devices want to start showing manufacturers in general that we're fine with them taking choice away when we install applications?
  • Reply 135 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

I'm actually surprised that there is not more outcry/complaining that Apple is moving down the road of an OS that's completely locked away from the user and forcing them to only run applications that Apple deems are 'good' to run. This is fine when we're talking about a cell phone that we might pay $200 for with a subsidy from AT&T (Generalizing on the price) but when someone's dropping close to $1k for a device, I would assume that they'd be able to have the ability to choose 'what' they want to run on it.

Plenty of choice in the App Store. And there's about to be a lot more.

What would I want to do with the OS to require Apple to not "lock" it away from me?
  • Reply 136 of 407
    Revised Edit
  • Reply 137 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now that is the most asinine statement anybody could make.

Who cares? Am I to assume that this site deserves higher respect; just because we have wimps here that allow unlimited trolling and is thus more honest than one that just posts the news and let's the reader voice a judgement call, but is managed by a pro-Apple-leaning editor.

At least when I read MDN, I can see for myself the full text of the referenced subject, unlike many of the AI articles.

If the survey conducted by Epocrates was such a crock, why the heck did AI feature it? Just to create shit? Now that is a real crock.

You don't have to care. I've been at MDN for years. It's an extreme. You don't have to like that, but it's true. We have our fanboys and trolls here, but overall, we have many more members, and most issues are far better balanced in the posting. We also don't have a commentator who made drivel his word about almost every news story that is presented. Remember, they don't generate their own articles as we do here. They are just a news aggregator.

I happen to think the headline for this story was ill chosen, and MDN took the exact opposite tack. Both interpretations could be correct, depending on how one looks at it.

I wouldn't call the editor of MDN as "pro-Apple-leaning". He's much more hysterical than that. Even there, posters often comment on that.

You think we're wimps because we allow people to speak their minds? You would prefer we remove all posting that isn't pro Apple? You like censorship if it complies with your thinking?
  • Reply 138 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you guys are reading the survey wrong.

It's pretty clear that the difference between before and after on the first graph is a large number of people who hadn't heard of it (and therefore didn't know if they wanted it), now know about it and have decided they don't want it. So?

The number of people interested in it enough to be customers has actually *increased* from the "before" to the "after." Similarly, the number of people interested but still wanting to know more has also gone up. The number of people stil interested but "sure they aren't going to buy one" has actually gone down.

This is all good news for Apple.

Same goes for the second graph. the number of people saying they will buy it has *increased* and the number people thinking about it has also slightly *increased.*

These graphs don't show the dismal picture the article paints.

Exactly. Actually, the number of people interested in buying one increased three times.
  • Reply 139 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's easy to lose interest in something you can't buy.

Apple needs to stop this nonsense of debuting a product and then saying it will be available X months later.

People show as much interest in the iPad as the Apple TV, which Apple never advertises and word of mouth is not working. If Apple is going to keep public interest up, they are going to have to either debut it again or start advertising it.

You mean like they did the iPhone? Debut in January, sold in July? Uh, huh.

You have selective memory. Maybe they should take a page out Microsoft's playbook and debut a product and NEVER make it available?
  • Reply 140 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They're also right most of the time, believe it or not.

I'm there a lot, and actually, they're not.