Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Easy Tiger. And after buying it, should I just put it in the iPads optical drive then?

EDIT: Nifty edit TEKSTUD, but not quick enough

• Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

...the Microsoft of entertainment. As an indicator of iPad's potential cultural influence, this is not promising.

Apple will soon offer "Limited time only Apps" only to recycle them a year later.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.

Based on what?
    • Apple is releasing their word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software for it

• Omnigroup has announced that they're releasing five of their major apps for it including Project Management and diagram creation (that is MS Visio compatible)

• There are lots of announcements by developers of iPad versions of already very useful iPhone applications

Seems to me it's going to be very much more than a content-delivery platform.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Apple doesn't depend on the other TV networks, as the device has potential at so many other areas, and looking at the success o the iPhone and of the companies that made fortune developing apps on it, it really looks like a moneymaking machine.

And this is just the first generation model.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Disney . . . would release comic books from Marvel on the device.

I think this has the potential to be big, maybe even huge when you add textbooks and homework retrieved from the web to the mix.

Today all the kids want an iPod Touch for music and games. This has the potential to move them from the lower priced Touch to the iPad for music, games and of course iWork. This should sell well to the K-12 crowd as well as to the HiEd audience. Look for the Nano to be their 2nd device, the young-ins that is, to provide compact music and a camera and an iPhone for the older ones. I think Apple has the potential to sell well into these groups.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic. Its an iPad, or if you prefer, an 'over sized iPod Touch', and it will be huge. Why people struggle with a large iPod Touch concept, beats me. Seems like the less people 'get it' the worse they think it is. Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome and yet we all know it will be that and more. Quit trying to define it - just go with it for a while and look at its potential uses. iPod Touch, sanitary pads... however you feel you must categorize it, you know you are being silly. I'm not saying it is perfect but people really need to open their eyes and look beyond their initial prejudices.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think this has the potential to be big, maybe even huge when you add textbooks and homework retrieved from the web to the mix.

Today all the kids want an iPod Touch for music and games. This has the potential to move them from the lower priced Touch to the iPad for music, games and of course iWork. This should sell well to the K-12 crowd as well as to the HiEd audience. Look for the Nano to be their 2nd device, the young-ins that is, to provide compact music and a camera and an iPhone for the older ones. I think Apple has the potential to sell well into these groups.

Good analysis of their current product mix...I had forgotten the Nano has a camera....for the young'ns and the iPhone for the older generations...on a personal note, I will be getting an iPad 3G even though it can be said there is some 'overlap' with my 3Gs. The iPad will actually save me $1,200 because before its intro I was planning an SD MBA as my next purchase.

How's that for 'rationalizing' my next expenditure?
  • Reply 28 of 77
    as it signals to other content providers that they better get on board or they will see disney take a lead in the shift to providing digital iPad content. I am confident that every major content provider is looking seriously at the iPad platform but to hear Disney come right out and call it a game changer is a game changer in its own right. this is very big news.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome

It may well be awesome. But it would have been awesome x 5 had it been what we expected it to be, rather than what it is.

I've been waiting for years for a nice little device to surf the internet and watch videos from anywhere in the house.

But with its inability to access many popular websites and the 4:3 aspect ratio, this device is of no interest to me whatsoever. I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic. Its an iPad, or if you prefer, an 'over sized iPod Touch', and it will be huge. Why people struggle with a large iPod Touch concept, beats me. Seems like the less people 'get it' the worse they think it is. Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome and yet we all know it will be that and more. Quit trying to define it - just go with it for a while and look at its potential uses. iPod Touch, sanitary pads... however you feel you must categorize it, you know you are being silly. I'm not saying it is perfect but people really need to open their eyes and look beyond their initial prejudices.

well put...i am so tired of the lame "feminine napkin" references, really are we that childish people?
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

...I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.

considering it's the last season, that Disney owns ABC and you don't think they'll write an app to access their streaming video content? Of course they will...

but if it's not for you, then so be it.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

It may well be awesome. But it would have been awesome x 5 had it been what we expected it to be, rather than what it is.

I've been waiting for years for a nice little device to surf the internet and watch videos from anywhere in the house.

But with its inability to access many popular websites and the 4:3 aspect ratio, this device is of no interest to me whatsoever. I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.

Sure, but you are pretty close to doing what you want. The Flash thing will get in the way for my kids but it is by no means a deal breaker. They play online Flash Games but since I bought them iPod Touches thats pretty much all they use. Video will move away from Flash, anyway. The aspect ratio should not deter you - just conceive of it as a smaller screen. If you look at the bigger picture however, the aspect ratio makes sense.

I am the first to agree that the iPad will not be perfect for everything, but neither is the TV nor the laptop or iMac. But if you primarily visit Flash based web sites and require a larger size screen in order to watch widescreen video / movies, then yeah, the iPad is not for you. At the moment I use a 13" MacBook for that and I'm loving it.

The iPad has so many uses. Just wait for the wall mount accessory. Stick it on the wall or on the fridge while cooking, or in the workshop or garage. The mind boggles.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Disney would be wise to encourage Apple to create a drop-proof, spill-proof version of the iPad with a screen that makes peanut butter smears easy to clean. They could call it the KiddiePad.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

considering it's the last season, that Disney owns ABC and you don't think they'll write an app to access their streaming video content? Of course they will...

Well, they haven't yet.

And Lost is only one example. Its the only TV show I watched on the laptop. My guess is that there are other shows that I would want to watch too. Can I watch reruns of Dexter on an iDevice?
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:

aren't you being overly anxious to make your judgement? the device is not even out and you're already dismissing it
  • Reply 36 of 77
    A platform like iPad would be great for interacting with live programming (and a branding opportunity for Apple):

* A special week of live 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' episodes could have an Ask the Viewers lifeline that would let the contestant see iPhone/iPad users' real-time answers to a question.

* Watching instant replays from different angles and applying your own slow-motion video scrubbing.

* Selecting cameras from a list and effectively directing your own version of the show (very bandwidth intensive, but I'm putting it out there).

* Insta-polling for sports, news, and award shows.

* Voting on elimination reality shows.

Many shows are already doing this sort of thing with text messaging and online features, but using an iPad app could be a more engaging because it has more display space than a phone and handles more seamlessly than a laptop.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

aren't you being overly anxious to make your judgement? the device is not even out and you're already dismissing it

I was quite anxious to make the judgment "Yeah - finally its here! Just what I have been waiting for!". Then I saw the Product Launch.

I need not wait for the product itself, as the lack of full web access and the antique aspect ratio are unlikely to change.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

using an iPad app could be a more engaging because it has more display space than a phone and handles more seamlessly than a laptop.

In what respect does it "handle more seamlessly than a laptop"?

I've been trying to figure that out ever since iSteve claimed that it does some things better than a laptop.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

No kidding- Its just a big iPod.

Like my 24" monitor is just like a big 14" monitor. I love the LIMITED screen space!

Like my 60" TV was just like my 22" TV. I love the dull details.

/s
  • Reply 40 of 77
    We may see App prices raise as a result of the iPad.

http://modthatmac.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/appprices/