Apple to test $1 TV program price alongside launch of iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes, but some people don't necessarily represent the needs and interests of other people.

Of course not. That's why the iPad is only one of the options Apple sells.

THAT is the entire point. All the iPad-bashing whiners keep going on about how the iPad isn't for them. So what? Just because it's not for them doesn't mean it won't work for some people.

There are millions of people who will grab an iPad. They're already stopping preorders in some countries because the demand was greater than the expected supply.

If someone were saying that you HAD to use an iPad or if Apple were to stop making all of its other products, the complaints might have some validity. As it is, it's just foolish whining from people without the wit to know better.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Please stop quoting him, the concerted effort loses when you do.

[CENTER]Funny...

That's what I long concluded regarding your posts.

(The concerted effort being to rid the world of nonsensical ranting)

Now about those US 1.00 TV programs...

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 23 of 71
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

How is RedBox competition? Physical DVD rentals v. digital downloads is apples to oranges.

It's only different in the delivery method. I think you are looking at it too narrowly. The real comparison is that for $1 you can either get a feature-lenth Hollywood movie often with high production values, top-notch special effects, etc; or you can get an episode of Two and a Half Men.

Which do you think offers more value for the money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

first off the HD videos on itunes are 720p, same as the ipad.

Technically, the iPad is just shy of 720p; but to your point, it's far higher resolution than standard definition so hopefully they will cut the price of HD, too.

Personally, I'd be willing to rent TV episodes for $1 if that means more would be available. I really don't need to own any of them.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:

Yes, but some people don't necessarily represent the needs and interests of other people.

Given how successful the iTunes store has been, seems to me convenience wins out.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The only TV Shows I used to purchase on iTunes were things I wanted to watch on the go, or could not get on Hulu.

I stopped because there is no value in purchasing $2-3+tax TV episodes. Not even close.

$1 for both SD/HD, but it needs to be widespread, all TV shows, not some half-cocked "test" that won't catch on because no one who is not already purchasing will become aware of it.

I'm pretty sure a lot more than just already-buyers will be aware of it. All Apple needs to do is send an email to everyone that's subscribed to the iTunes or Apple mailing lists. That should give the bean counters plenty of information as to the interest.

Quote:

Given how successful the iTunes store has been, seems to me convenience wins out.

For music, sure. Especially with the ala carte track purchasing.

But exactly how successful has iTunes video been? Haven't you noticed the conspicuous lack of announcements on video sales figures of late? Apple is quite eager to tell us how many songs they've sold but zip in the past year or so as to how many videos they rent and sell. And even if they did give numbers, then those numbers would need to be compared to other forms of renting. So, no, it's not a slam-dunk case yet.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course not. That's why the iPad is only one of the options Apple sells.

THAT is the entire point. All the iPad-bashing whiners keep going on about how the iPad isn't for them. So what? Just because it's not for them doesn't mean it won't work for some people.

There are millions of people who will grab an iPad. They're already stopping preorders in some countries because the demand was greater than the expected supply.

If someone were saying that you HAD to use an iPad or if Apple were to stop making all of its other products, the complaints might have some validity. As it is, it's just foolish whining from people without the wit to know better.

All true.

The iPad is somewhat secondary in this story, but when it comes to programming available over the air, the product I mentioned is going to be iPad compatible by default, with no extra effort. For pay TV options, then that is clearly a different story.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure a lot more than just already-buyers will be aware of it. All Apple needs to do is send an email to everyone that's subscribed to the iTunes or Apple mailing lists. That should give the bean counters plenty of information as to the interest.

That's true. Never under estimate the power of a 100 million-person email blast. I usually ignore them, as they're often old news to me.

The problem will be the limited selection. But, in the end, the problem is the networks, (or rather their sponsors who actually "are" the networks). And this problem will not go away. Advertisers of major networks are not about to permit "their" content to be accessed completely commercial free, without getting back some of the revenue.

The difference between a $1 tv show and a $3 tv is probably all advertising revenue.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:

That's true. Never under estimate the power of a 100 million-person email blast. I usually ignore them, as they're often old news to me.

The problem will be the limited selection. But, in the end, the problem is the networks, (or rather their sponsors who actually "are" the networks). And this problem will not go away. Advertisers of major networks are not about to permit "their" content to be accessed completely commercial free, without getting back some of the revenue.

The difference between a $1 tv show and a $3 tv is probably all advertising revenue.

I really don't know what attitude the advertisers take with respect to the show. The advertiser only pays for people that actually do watch the show. Broadcasters do have huge fixed costs though, I think it may be the affiliates that are the choke point.

I really don't know what faction will win over, but the figures I've seen from an industry person that I trust reasonably well say that ad revenue per episode, per audience member, don't exceed $0.25. Getting $0.70 (their cut of an iTunes purchase) should be a good deal for them. I think what would really open the flood gates is a very positive response, where the increase in purchases far outweigh the reduced price.

If you want to say advertisers own the shows, then it should be easy to point out where Pepsi, Coke or other advertised brands are in the credits. They have influence, yes, ownership, no.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    You can pick up old season DVD box sets of most TV shows for about $1/episode or less. I can't imagine anyone saying $1 is too cheap. If anything, I'd prefer to buy the DVDs instead (for less) and rip them so that I have a DRM-free source.

Heck, I just picked up the entire Farscape series for like $60 on Amazon... That's $0.68/episode. And I bet the series will display just fine on the iPad after Handbrake is done with it.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I really don't know what attitude the advertisers take with respect to the show. The advertiser only pays for people that actually do watch the show. Broadcasters do have huge fixed costs though, I think it may be the affiliates that are the choke point.

I really don't know what faction will win over, but the figures I've seen from an industry person that I trust reasonably well say that ad revenue per episode, per audience member, don't exceed $0.25. Getting $0.70 (their cut of an iTunes purchase) should be a good deal for them. I think what would really open the flood gates is a very positive response, where the increase in purchases far outweigh the reduced price.

Yes yes I've heard this hogwash before. Some people just don't understand the reason network television exists...No, it is not because of the shows....it is not just because of the commercials in between, its FOR the commercials in between. The shows are garbage, and it doesn't even matter. They are space filler in between commercials. Then, during the shows, thousands of product placement examples will take place, serving as even more advertising.

The Box in your home with the cable wire going into it serves one purpose, to sell you. Whether it be food, makeup, or news, it is all being sold to you, by some of the scummiest scum on the face of the planet.

So no, sponsors of TV are not about to give up their power. This is evidenced by the insane increase in product/idea/thought/behavior placement throughout network TV in recent years. As more people are watching TV shows without commercials, sponsors are ensuring their "messages" still make their way into subconsciousness everywhere.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

You can pick up old season DVD box sets of most TV shows for about $1/episode or less. I can't imagine anyone saying $1 is too cheap. If anything, I'd prefer to buy the DVDs instead (for less) and rip them so that I have a DRM-free source.

Heck, I just picked up the entire Farscape series for like $60 on Amazon... That's $0.68/episode. And I bet the series will display just fine on the iPad after Handbrake is done with it.

The entire series of most TV is available on Hulu for Free the day after it's aired.

You don't have to wait for the entire season to finish for the DVD series and it's free.

This posting is going about as well as the Hulu posting.

Wait, I have to put another $1.00 in my laptop to continue my comment... Wait. This isn't iTunes and it's Free.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:

Yes yes I've heard this hogwash before. Some people just don't understand the reason network television exists...No, it is not because of the shows....it is not just because of the commercials in between, its FOR the commercials in between. The shows are garbage, and it doesn't even matter. They are space filler in between commercials. Then, during the shows, thousands of product placement examples will take place, serving as even more advertising.

The Box in your home with the cable wire going into it serves one purpose, to sell you. Whether it be food, makeup, or news, it is all being sold to you, by some of the scummiest scum on the face of the planet.

So no, sponsors of TV are not about to give up their power. This is evidenced by the insane increase in product/idea/thought/behavior placement throughout network TV in recent years. As more people are watching TV shows without commercials, sponsors are ensuring their "messages" still make their way into subconsciousness everywhere.

Buy a DVR and fast forward the commercials or get up and do something constructive. You really do have choices.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

The entire series of most TV is available on Hulu for Free the day after it's aired.

You don't have to wait for the entire season to finish for the DVD series and it's free.

This posting is going about as well as the Hulu posting.

Wait, I have to put another $1.00 in my laptop to continue my comment... Wait. This isn't iTunes and it's Free.

Good for HULU. Some of us would rather pay a little not to have ads. iTunes, and Apple are clearly not for you. Why do you care so much? Move on. You aren't going to convince many here, except the trolls. Have fun with Windows, crappy netbooks and ugly phones and desktops. Some of us prefer style and functionality, over saving a buck.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Yes... Yes you can on (truly modern) devices that have feature hardware/software capable enough to support Adobe Flash.

Note: inferior technology need not apply.

[/CENTER]

I don't see how this can work. Suretech heads know you can watch pretty good def from ABC to FX websites, but so don't mom and pops. It's the torrents they don't know about, normally up on the west coast the same day they air and they vary in quality. A xvid is 350MB and with 2000 seeders can be downloaded in less then ten minutes and look great on a 24" HDMI monitor. Or, you can spend an extra half an hour down loading a high def 1.3GB of the same show and you can tell the difference. In fact, 720P looks better than 1080i interlaced and can always spot a 720p. On that size it's the difference between glass or really good quality which is why xvid is so good, due to it's smaller size. I discovered torrents after my wife and I watched all of seasons 1,2,3,4 of ABCs Lost only to see half off 5 was missing. I discovered that was due to ABC releasing the box set in December so we bought a few from iTunes. What was strange was that we could not tell a difference between SD and HD but could on the HDMI line wheras the 720 looked better. Then my neighbor turned me on to torrents. From what I gather, it's not the downloading they really mind, it's when you become part of the seeders, then they mind so if you stop right after downloading, I think that's how they determine. Leeching is when someone is grabbing a movie, which ironically, you become part of the seeding before it's complete unless you have the uploading set at zero. Then after a little while we may forget what happened in a particular NCIS and watch again.

We also have no problem watching it at the website either as you can't beat 5 :15/:30 commercials vs 17 minutes on TV.

The net is the future. In fact my wife and I did a CBS survey that basically said we prefer online and whole episodes not clips. And WHATS with everyone talking About YouTube to the Pro Flash people? You can't watch a TV show in YouTube.

Maybe the dollar thing might work but I fear the studios wint go for it and to some it's to much still. What they should do is offer a months advance before it hits TV, secure it somehow and you'd get a lot of say Lost members buying it for $10.00 for 4 shows. As it gets closer to the end, up the price. For the series finally. Either don't offer it or charge tripple, perhaps $5.00?0
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Quote:

Good for HULU. Some of us would rather pay a little not to have ads. iTunes, and Apple are clearly not for you. Why do you care so much? Move on. You aren't going to convince many here, except the trolls. Have fun with Windows, crappy netbooks and ugly phones and desktops. Some of us prefer style and functionality, over saving a buck.

If you mean poor quality video that I have to go through iTunes to purchase isn't right for me then you are correct. Your posting is genius.

You know better than I do what I really want. Are you Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

If you mean poor quality video that I have to go through iTunes to purchase isn't right for me then you are correct. Your posting is genius.

You know better than I do what I really want. Are you Steve Jobs?

Enjoy HULU then. Why do you care that some of us prefer iTunes? You talk about quality, yet watch free, ad-laced, streaming flash content.

Genius, like someone who clearly detests Apple and Apple products who posts on an Apple news/fan site? I'm sure there are some HULU and Windoze fan sites that would love to have you.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]One thing's for certain...

Comedy Central's Daniel Tosh doesn't appear to have much love for Apple's 'New Creation', or paying for any iTunes sanctioned content, given that he just took a golf club to one on tonight's episode.

Was It Real... or Fake?

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Jeez, it doesn't help putting the trolls on your ignore list, because people keep quoting them. Can we make a concerted effort to just ignore these morons completely? Perhaps they'll go away and pick on Pre owners instead.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is for the iPad too, not merely the iPad. Apple want the living room, I think they are trying to sneak in.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    There are plenty of tech-heads and low-tech consumers that have credit cards with with iTunes and I'm sure many of them are going to use them to watch shows for $1 a pop. I'd like to see subscription TV for $30 a month if I didn't already have a cable connection. In my case I use my PVR in conjunction with a SlingBox Pro so I'm not going to have any problem getting content on my iPad as long as the iPad supports SlingPlayer over WiFi and/or 3G.

I do know that Apple has to at least try to make deals with major book publishers and TV and movie content suppliers. Get inexpensive, easy to download content to the low-tech consumer and I think the iPad will practically sell itself. Media content, simplicity, retail sales push and customer support. It would seem to be a winning formula for Apple. No other single company is going to have the channels and clout to move the tablet as Apple will have.

I don't understand why the iPad is being so analyzed and criticized before it even goes on sale. Even with the iPad's shortcomings I'd say that most of the product is a solid package that I'm sure the low-tech consumer will enjoy using. If any of you have ever seen any reviews on the Archos 9 tablet you'd be able to see how simple the iPad would be over using the Archos. The Archos may have features that the iPad doesn't offer, but the iPad is far more responsive and simpler doing the tasks it does do. Why not wait and try the iPad before calling it junk or poorly featured. I doubt if any company is going to offer a product that has all the major qualities that the iPad has.