Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

They ARE scared, and so is everyone else, whether you see it or not.

Of course they are scared. They want people to buy a Kindle once they realise the benefits of e-books. No-one wants to sit at a desktop PC and read a book - Amazon want to get people a) interested, then b) buying a Kindle for on-the-go reading.

And you call every one else clueless.

He's not seeing the big picture. Even if Amazon sells Kindles as razor handles in an attempt to sell eBooks as blades, Apple is likely going to allow their iBookstore eBooks to be read on Windows, Macs, iPhones, iPod Touch and, of course, the iPad from day one. Apple is already entrenched with online media as a popular service so there is no reason we should think the iBookstore is going to fail.

On the other end, Amazon has not made their publishers happy with the excessive percentage they were taking. Amazon has already lost MacMillian as a publisher, as I recall. Amazon even changed their model to give the publishers more as a preemptive reaction to the impending iPad and eBookstore.

Amazon should have been using this time to entrench their service while making the publishers happy. The tried the former while ignoring the latter by tried to profit heavily from the content and hardware while pushing around publishers. Now they will have to compete with the iBookstore head-to-head on the same device but trying to make profit on the content while Apple will be satisfied by breaking even, just like they do with their Amazon music store.

PS: Love your sig. Especially with DaHarder centered.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's not seeing the big picture. Even if Amazon sells Kindles as razor handles in an attempt to sell eBooks as blades, Apple is likely going to allow their iBookstore eBooks to be read on Windows, Macs, iPhones, iPod Touch and, of course, the iPad from day one. Apple is already entrenched with online media as a popular service so there is no reason we should think the iBookstore is going to fail.

On the other end, Amazon has not made their publishers happy with the excessive percentage they were taking. Amazon has already lost MacMillian as a publisher, as I recall. Amazon even changed their model to give the publishers more as a preemptive reaction to the impending iPad and eBookstore.

Amazon should have been using this time to entrench their service while making the publishers happy. The tried the former while ignoring the latter by tried to profit heavily from the content and hardware while pushing around publishers. Now they will have to compete with the iBookstore head-to-head on the same device but trying to make profit on the content while Apple will be satisfied by breaking even, just like they do with their Amazon music store.

PS: Love your sig. Especially with DaHarder centered.

fine points made here

AMAZON as i see it is based first and formost as book seller .ITS IN Their blood so to speak .

almost ALL the online book sellers are gone or very small while AMAZON has grown and become a great place to shop for almost anything /ALMOST

Every attack by other concerns has been met with a smooth great responce like free or low cost shipping to fight companies who make all there profit from over charging shipping and handling fee's .

>>>>>>>>

yet for 3 yrs or more we see amazon acting weird . amazon has battled a product that was more a dream than a real device

amazon fought and set up a whole defensive industry to battle apple even when its leader was near death from liver cancer <<yes steves untreated slow growing cancer had spread >>

So amazon did the impossible . it gave the consumer in 24 short months fifty ways to sunday to buy a book / it crossed all lines of normal biz standards and smashed all the rules . it said almost anywhere you buy a book amazon will somehow get a cut of the money pot .

the forever money losing piece of crap kindlle has in some ways worked magic for amazon .

soon any kindle book will work on any book reader or p'c or your tv thru net flix / amazon is everywhere 24/7

i can see one day soon that if you buy the complete e=collection of say james bond 007 amazon will give you a free kindle .anything to tie you in to kindle world . if not then kindle apps on apple >>genius huh !!

Amazon saw the writing on the wall and grew very very scared . its PE is flying way way high / too high

It sat back and watched APPLE TAKE over whole catergorie's like music or tv /movies pod casts

on and on

fear grew deep in amazons heart ,the more they sold the more they would lose .

apple not only would strike a poisoned dagger straight into AMAZON'S HEART . IT WOULD DO IT IN BEAUTIFUL COLOUR

APPLE it would/will offer high priced books with lots of visual extras like little movies thrown in about the books'..author subject at hand .

apple will even send a hard cover book after buying a ebook from them .

AMAZON warehouses now look over stocked .

amazon now looks like a bully

amazons whole battle was lost before it even started

steve jobs was coming

Amazom now knows fear

Apple with out a seam will sync its whole universe to its NEW CHILD

IPAD stands tall and shake whole industries before it even ships

Amazon stands alone in a warehouse and wonders what went wrong ??

what more could they have done ??

sadly nothing .

steve jobs is in the house .

steve jobs may god bless him and keep him safe from harm '''

go ipad

peace 9
  • Reply 83 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Because Apples business model makes profit from hardware sales, not software/content. And last time I checked, the Kindle used DRM'd content, which by your own definition is closed. Again you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

You really don't get this "business" thing, do you? Giving away the hardware when it's a source of profit is desperation - Amazon are desperate to keep their closed, DRM'd e-book sales afloat by giving the hardware away. Apple make profit from the hardware and so - from a profit point of view - give the content away with a tiny margin to drive sales.

extremescooperpooper made one great post here and then falls back to his trollish posts

maybe he needs to get laid ?? maybe he invented win7 and is a p/c user ??

his extreme hate for anything apple is odd cause he IS a 1000 post member here !!

apple is not open or closed

apple owns a product and you have to pay to use it .

quite simple unless your a thief and want to hack .

peace 9
  • Reply 84 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apple does it as an annual event, not a one-time deal and they do it to get rid of old inventory to make room for new products. Also, they do it as a marketing reason, not to compete with or stop people from buying a competitors device, they already have market share. Amazon is doing as last ditch effort to grow their numbers and keep people using the Kindle. You really can't compare the two initiatives.

You contradict yourself. Amazon is doing it as a marketing reason as well. Nothing more, nothing less. THE Amazon Kindle market is so loosely related to the iPads, you are totally clueless. Kindle is an eReader, SPECIFICALLY, and a extremely good one at that. Kindle customers don't want Games and Farts on their Kindles. Anyone who has ever used a Kindle understands its a basically a book & newspaper replacement only. Why AI keeps spinning this a some kind of doom for Kindle makes absolutely no sense. Sure some people will now buy an iPad but to think its going to kill and put Kindle out of business is so totally absurd. Most book readers could care less about People and US magazine on their Kindle
  • Reply 85 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

You contradict yourself. Amazon is doing it as a marketing reason as well. Nothing more, nothing less. THE Amazon Kindle market is so loosely related to the iPads, you are totally clueless. Kindle is an eReader, SPECIFICALLY, and a extremely good one at that. Kindle customers don't want Games and Farts on their Kindles. Anyone who has ever used a Kindle understands its a basically a book & newspaper replacement only. Why AI keeps spinning this a some kind of doom for Kindle makes absolutely no sense. Sure some people will now buy an iPad but to think its going to kill and put Kindle out of business is so totally absurd. Most book readers could care less about People and US magazine on their Kindle

i see the single single lonely un married sad looking kindle readers on the subway

today

next week

i will see hordes of smiling lovely happy sexy ipad readers on the subways and ferries

because books are golden

ipad is extra golden

kindle is fire wood

aaple is love

gm is .60 cents a share

who knew ??
  • Reply 86 of 97
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

"Competing" isn't giving away free Kindles. Competing is offering a superior product for the price.

Amazon doesn't have the resources to develop a tablet, so if they truly want to compete with e-readers, they'll have to make Kindle even better (color?) and cheaper for everyone. They already hold the title for cheap media prices, so at least they have that going for them...

-Clive

For the price of $0, Kindle would be superior product. What is Apple - or anyone else - offering in that price range?
  • Reply 87 of 97
    I've never really considered buying a Kindle and the iPad doesn't appeal to me, either, despite being a devoted Apple consumer for more than a decade. That said, I've been a "Prime" subscriber for two years, so if Amazon decides to give me a Kindle, sure I'll take it. Might even encourage me to get back into reading.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

For the price of $0, Kindle would be superior product. What is Apple - or anyone else - offering in that price range?

its a cult thing

koolaid ??
  • Reply 89 of 97
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

True, up to a point -- but predatory pricing is a pretty specific concept, not just being aggressive in a market. In order to show that pricing is predatory, it has to be proven that competition in a market has been harmed, or is likely to be harmed. It has to be a sustained effort clearly designed to force a competitor out or keep one from getting in. It's a very difficult claim to prove. If it wasn't, then just about every "two for the price of one" promotion could be called predatory pricing.

The $9.99 price point for new ebooks was definitely predatory. Losing $5 per book means that B&N and all other ebook sellers would have to match without the benefit of Amazon's other extensive revenues from sales of non-book items. There's a reason that the major book publishers revolted.

Giving away Kindles is simply desperation to stay relevant in terms of hardware and also try to kill the nook. Kinda predatory there but the nook was likely dead anyway due to the ipad.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually they are not. Clearly they could care less about the hardware as long as users still continue to buy the content through Amazon.

They are scared because that is now in doubt. Rather than beating the crap out of B&N (and everyone else) with $9.99 titles Apple just leveled the playing field for both iBooks and B&N by not even producing a product yet.

Now the nook is a real competitor for the 2nd place ebook reader.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to pay for something that isn't crap.

Amazon can yap about content all they want. If the hardware doesn't excite and fascinate, free is meaningless.

Linux distros are free, too.
  • Reply 92 of 97
    You all make it sound as though there's this huge rivalry brewing between Apple and Amazon. Please remember that Amazon is the second largest seller of Apple goods online, next to the Apple Store. Furthermore, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Amazon they would've rejected the Kindle Reader app from the App Store a long time ago. The Apple/Amazon relationship will continue to thrive despite the coming competition between them in the e-book market.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I just hope we get to a point where Apple will be forced to support other book stores on the iPad, or at the very least ebooks from other sources. As much as I like the iTunes store I do like the idea of choice.

At the same time paper books still offer a sense of something real and not being locked in to yet another company's platform. I can lend a friend a book, and require any special or compatible hardware to use, or within the framework of any 'broken' DRM. If at least some of those issues can be resolved then I might just give eBooks another glance.
  • Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I just hope we get to a point where Apple will be forced to support other book stores on the iPad, or at the very least ebooks from other sources. As much as I like the iTunes store I do like the idea of choice.

At the same time paper books still offer a sense of something real and not being locked in to yet another company's platform. I can lend a friend a book, and require any special or compatible hardware to use, or within the framework of any 'broken' DRM. If at least some of those issues can be resolved then I might just give eBooks another glance.

books are cheap to make

but making 100.000 copies of a book that bombs is a waste if paper

so watch apple

within 3 rs apple will offer for a small fee <<$3 bucks >>?? with every ebook purchase >>>

APPLE will send you a hard copy /

and soon enough if you buy a hard cover book in WALDENS you will also get an ipad/itunes version free .

i hope the drm stuff is not true

that sucks

books are made to share to a small circle of buddies

peace

bruce
  • Reply 95 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

You all make it sound as though there's this huge rivalry brewing between Apple and Amazon. Please remember that Amazon is the second largest seller of Apple goods online, next to the Apple Store. Furthermore, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Amazon they would've rejected the Kindle Reader app from the App Store a long time ago. The Apple/Amazon relationship will continue to thrive despite the coming competition between them in the e-book market.

APPLE AMAZON HAVE A LARGE CRIOSS BIZ GOING ON RIGHT NOW

that said apple and amazon are mortal enemies

the ipad with its fantastic color screen and large app store and multi media book extra's can take amazon book buyers and keep them forever. KEEP THEM FOREVER WITH better books at a cheaper price

apple will even offer thousand's of free podcast style type books

and mom can email you while you browse your NYT times SUNDAY PAPER

A dagger right to the heart of the jungle guys

apple can also offer nice soothing music <<hendrix >> in the back ground while you read

and you can down load the movie once the book is read !!!

can amazon offer the app store itunes world ??

warehouses are not forever
  • Reply 96 of 97
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Apple has a digital store to drive hardware sales.

Amazon gives away hadware for free to drive digital store sales.

Very peculiar..