Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Zune can compete.

^^

That's about all that can be said.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

In general Tablets are not popular and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Until Apple made one. Totally different tablet ballgame now.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hey Extremehater, you really think these are the exact same OSes like shoehorned Windows is on tablet? Care to explain how the iPhone's OS magically jumped from being idealized for a 3.5" display to a 10" display?

So many images to compare. What's funny is that one day you're going to buy an iPad and you'll have Teckstudian excuse as to how Apple listened to you. "They finally made it faster which I was asking for since day one. You're welcome."
  • Reply 84 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Until Apple made one. Totally different tablet ballgame now.

He'll say how tablets have no marketshare but then say Apple is going to fail because they aren't following the same failed shoehorned desktop model, all in the same thought process.

Calling these posters trolls is really the nicest thing I can say as that implies it's deliberate. If the mental process is truly that disconnected then I truly feel bad for them.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He'll say how tablets have no marketshare but then say Apple is going to fail because they aren't following the same failed shoehorned desktop model, all in the same thought process.

Calling these posters trolls is really the nicest thing I can say as that implies it's deliberate. If the mental process is truly that disconnected then I truly feel bad for them.

Don't forget that if the iPad is a huge success it won't be because Apple made something average people wanted, but because the sheep will buy anything their lord and master tells them too.

It's the perfect heads I win tails you lose explanation: if an Apple product doesn't sell extraordinarily well, it's proof that "real computer users" have rejected Apple's "crippled" hardware and iron fisted control. If they do sell extraordinarily well, it's proof that people are idiots and that Apple's marketing is a form of mind control.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

LOL HP et all know that they can't compete and never will be able to. Itunes is the gold in the ipad's success. Seems like Steve realized that any tablet is just a tablet and the thing that makes a tablet really work is the software and media ecosystem it lives in. (MMMM thousands of awesome apps we are all drooling already) Hmm somebody studied evolution and Biology. LOL No one can compete with Itunes at this point; most are still trying to compete with the device itself and/ or the pricing.

So you reckon there are no thousands of awesome apps for Windows..?
  • Reply 87 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobABoui View Post

If MSFT releases this as-is, using a dual screen "book" like feature, it's going to massively fail. It is going to be more expensive to produce, requires more power thus will be heavier and users turning in couriers broken in half at the hinge.

The report also cited people familiar with Microsoft's dual-screen, touchscreen tablet, dubbed the Courier, in stating that the Redmond, Wash., software giant has a "secretive team" working on the unannounced device. Renders of the Courier leaked last September, showing a device with two color screens that folded together like a book.

Well... users will be turning iPads with broken screen they were carrying around unprotected. Users will always do stupid things.

2x 7" screens are (each) smaller than 1x 10" iPad screen. Depending on applied screen technology, consumption can be equal, or even better (of course it can also be much worst).

Laptops are using hinges for ages. While I did see handful of broken ones, in general hinges can be executed good enough not to be weak spot. Additionally, closed 7" unit, even if thicker, is more compact for carrying around that 10" unit.

But it is all completely unimportant. Unit is not even presented yet. What we saw was just rendering. Noone here knows what final product - if there ever is one - will look like.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yep. I'm taking a skeptical view of Win7 tablets too. I would expect that the Android tablets will be the best ones for a long while, but my crystal ball has never been reliable.

At any rate, it will be a great year for gadgets.

While I'd like to see fully functional Win 7 (or OSX) tablet with GUI modified for touch, compromise between size, power, battery life seem to be impossible with current technology. I don't think HP slate can run on anything but Atom or, maybe, ULV Core 2 Solo CPU... but even those require reasonably big battery to work any useful time, and fitting such battery in the same slim enclosure with screen, backlight, logic... seem hardly possible feast.

But I'll definitely check on HP, Android tablets... and iPad, of course... once they are available here in NZ.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So do I, but I think Apple has a leg up on both.

A review of one of these tablets was posted here recently, I can't recall which one (maybe someone else will). The reviewer noted the poor performance including a two minute boot time (IIRC).

Well, HP is claiming instant boot... I haven't heard anything about hardware and battery life, and that worries me more - that device will be underpowered, processor or battery wise. Or maybe even both
  • Reply 90 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

tell me about how long the battery lasts watching movie on that EeePC?

Asus Eee 1005PE will play 720p DivX (screen at 100nits) for 428 minutes. 720p x264 will play 376 minutes.

http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3737&p=9

I believe that is by margin the longest battery netbook I have seen so far... you can see some other netbooks and ULVs in the review from the link above.

Asus T101MT still isn't fully reviewed, but available info is stating 6.5 hours of battery life. I'd expect that it is best possible scenario, though, we'll see.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, HP is claiming instant boot... I haven't heard anything about hardware and battery life, and that worries me more - that device will be underpowered, processor or battery wise. Or maybe even both

Each new version of Windows that comes out, MS claim 'instant boot'.

That must be the same 'instant boot' that causes my wife to scream at me when I shut the lid on her Win6.1 Vaio. Something along the lines of 'Nooooo, you know my laptop doesn't like having the lid closed. It never comes back on properly'.

I guess I'm too used to my MBP...
  • Reply 92 of 140
    This has the making of a flame war all over it. Yikes.

Anyway wil speak my peace. Whoever gets the slate, pad, courier that snags free TV shows whether it's Flash or HTML5, is going to do very well.

Secondly, if MSFT really has The Courier, and doesn't release it to OEMs, this wil be their first computer to market and I have a stony suspision that it will do preety well, especially since they will control their Q&A or it could fizzle like the other pieces of hardware but if it does what the vid shows, I would expect this to be purchased from all areas from schools to enterprise, especially with Exchange and actually, some prefer a stylus and what will be intersing will be if it's just as good not using a stylus.

In the end. We all win. But for sure whomever snags the FREE TV non wifi, are going to do very well.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Asus Eee 1005PE will play 720p DivX (screen at 100nits) for 428 minutes. 720p x264 will play 376 minutes.

http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3737&p=9

I believe that is by margin the longest battery netbook I have seen so far... you can see some other netbooks and ULVs in the review from the link above.

Asus T101MT still isn't fully reviewed, but available info is stating 6.5 hours of battery life. I'd expect that it is best possible scenario, though, we'll see.

That thing looks better and better all the time. Thanks.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

That must be the same 'instant boot' that causes my wife to scream at me when I shut the lid on her Win6.1 Vaio. Something along the lines of 'Nooooo, you know my laptop doesn't like having the lid closed. It never comes back on properly'.

Do your wife a favor: Go to the Control Panel, select Power Options, and change the behavior of the device. She can make it do whatever works best for her.

I have mine set to sleep upon closing the lid ONLY when it is on battery. Indeed, my PC has radically different settings for "plugged in" and "battery only".

Do Macs have this functionality? I was in the mApple store, getting my kid's defective iPhone replaced, and I noticed that all the Macbooks behind the counter had little rubber bumpers stuck to them to prevent closing the lids. I asked the Genius about them, and his reply was that they were there to keep the lids from closing, as that made the machines turn off or go to sleep or whatever.

I asked him why they don't just configure them not to do that. Apparently, either that is not possible, or they just can't figure it out.

My guess is that Apple leaves out his important functionality. Perhaps in the name of "ease of use"?

But your wife has a Windows machine, which is able to be configured to just work, without the need to prop open the lid.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hey Extremehater, you really think these are the exact same OSes like shoehorned Windows is on tablet? Care to explain how the iPhone's OS magically jumped from being idealized for a 3.5" display to a 10" display?

So many images to compare. What's funny is that one day you're going to buy an iPad and you'll have Teckstudian excuse as to how Apple listened to you. "They finally made it faster which I was asking for since day one. You're welcome."

The iPad's OS looks like it was born on the hardware. Fast and smooth and entirely user-centric. A perfect fit.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Do your wife a favor: Go to the Control Panel, select Power Options, and change the behavior of the device. She can make it do whatever works best for her.

I have mine set to sleep upon closing the lid ONLY when it is on battery. Indeed, my PC has radically different settings for "plugged in" and "battery only".

Do Macs have this functionality? I was in the mApple store, getting my kid's defective iPhone replaced, and I noticed that all the Macbooks behind the counter had little rubber bumpers stuck to them to prevent closing the lids. I asked the Genius about them, and his reply was that they were there to keep the lids from closing, as that made the machines turn off or go to sleep or whatever.

I asked him why they don't just configure them not to do that. Apparently, either that is not possible, or they just can't figure it out.

My guess is that Apple leaves out his important functionality. Perhaps in the name of "ease of use"?

But your wife has a Windows machine, which is able to be configured to just work, without the need to prop open the lid.

You're a fecking genius. Why didn't I thinnk of that? Wait, I already have. Yet like almost every Windows laptop I've had (and I've had a few), it never seems to work properly.

Put it in sleep, and it devours battery. My work Thinkpad X61 is set to hibernate, only because it refuses to sleep. I tried my wife's Vaio on hibernate, but it takes so bloody long to come back (probably because of the 4GB RAM, 3GB of which is useable), that she prefers 'sleep'. Even if 'sleep' really means 'coma' most of the time.

And I don't know where your making your MacBook story up from. Close a MacBook lid, and it'll sleep. It'll do so while sipping battery, and will come back to life instantly when the lid is opened. The only possible reason that your (probably untrue) story could be valid is if OS X asks for a password to unlock (this can be turned off in system settings).

But thanks for your usual drivel, iDiot.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    Quote:

So I hit the local Apple Store Genius Bar where I saw those rubber bumpers on their laptops. I asked the resident Genius who said they were used to make sure that the machines were running for updates overnight - something about their POS system that didn't support the "wake on LAN" function. I also grabbed one of the Snow Leopard Macs on display and went into preferences and sure enough there were settings for both battery behaviors and AC powered behaviors, imagine that.

Of course maybe some Macs don't have that functionality...
  • Reply 98 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

And I don't know where your making your MacBook story up from. Close a MacBook lid, and it'll sleep. It'll do so while sipping battery, and will come back to life instantly when the lid is opened. The only possible reason that your (probably untrue) story could be valid is if OS X asks for a password to unlock (this can be turned off in system settings).

But thanks for your usual drivel, iDiot.

Go the Boston Flagship mApple store, climb the patented stairs to the third floor, and see for yourself.

And BTW, you are being reported for your insults. I was just trying to give you some friendly advice, and your response was a personal attack.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

So I hit the local Apple Store Genius Bar where I saw those rubber bumpers on their laptops. I asked the resident Genius who said they were used to make sure that the machines were running for updates overnight - something about their POS system that didn't support the "wake on LAN" function. I also grabbed one of the Snow Leopard Macs on display and went into preferences and sure enough there were settings for both battery behaviors and AC powered behaviors, imagine that.

Of course maybe some Macs don't have that functionality...

Dunno. All I know is what the "Genius" told me. Good to know that this sort of basic functionality is available on Macs.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Interesting that someone so obviously without any Mac knowledge poses as an expert in all things Apple.