AT&T 3G network speed improves 84% in performance test

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Measly? That is why there is 3G.

What iPhone are you using? That makes a difference too.

Exactly. I'm very happy with ATT in my area. I almost never have to see EDGE because most of the places that I go (99%), I'm covered with 3G.

I'm using 3GS... let me test my wife's 3G and see what kind of difference it makes
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Exactly. I'm very happy with ATT in my area. I almost never have to see EDGE because most of the places that I go (99%), I'm covered with 3G.

I'm using 3GS... let me test my wife's 3G and see what kind of difference it makes

My wife's iPhone 3G:

Wifi: 7707/7313 down/up ping 86ms

3G: 2274/338 down/up ping 296ms

Edge: 185/60

So the 3GS is indeed faster in all connection settings except for edge.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

i live in Dallas and i still get 2-3 dropped calls every single day. how do phone companies get to cook yup all these numbers.

Yeah sometimes i get 2000+ Kb on my download test but its still slow as hell

And i have never seen 700 upload speeds. Oh and Dallas was part of the upgrade. They said all upgrades would be complete bu Jan 1st

BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!

oh boy. where to start? ok, here we go...

1) the test was run independently by PCWORLD magazine. no affiliation with ATT or any other phone company. did you read the article?

2) Dallas was NOT one of the 13 cities tested. did you read the article?

3) you just said you sometimes get 2000+Kb download speeds, yet somehow you feel the blinding fast speed of 2 megabits per second is somehow "slow as hell"? um, wha? what planet are you from? 2 mbps is slow??? errrrr...hmmmmm..... whatevs.

4) yes, Dallas was part of ATT's SOFTWARE UPGRADEto 7.2 HSPA, there was a list of several cities that have completed the 7.2 HSPA protocol, and Dallas was on that list, but it is a software upgrade only at this point. and this SW upgrade was finished before Jan 1st 2010. However, ATT is still in the process of installing the HARDWARE for the 7.2 upgrade, which means the cable/fiber is still being installed. so you won't see actual 7.2 completed til later this year. ATT is still way, way ahead of Verizon and all others in data speeds AND reliability of connections. yes, i read the article. ;-)
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think it's too little, too late for AT&T. They seem to think their bad image is only caused by the speed of the service when they have horrible customer service issues to deal with as well.

I'm getting really sick and f*cking tired of paying a $30 iPhone service charge every month.

well, you can always buy a Droid, use Verizon, and pay them $30 a month for data...or $45 if you want enterprise support (hint: ATT and Verizon have practically the exact same pricing, with one notable exception, Verizon charges $3 per month for Visual Voicemail...at ATT, its FREE).
  • Reply 65 of 71
    btw i am getting consistent DL speeds of 1900 kbps to 2.1 mbps, with consistent 250 kbps upload speeds on my iphone 3G. in a rural area, plus some small country towns in the south. (who says Verizon is better at rural? LOL) and i am using multiple speed test applications. over a 2 month period. in multiple locations. i could not be happier with ATT, and they just keep getting better and better.

i can't wait for the new iphone to drop this summer, i am upgrading this year since i skipped on the 3GS.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    I live in North Carolina i get pretty good service can't remember the last time i had a dropped call , but i do sometimes wish AT&T had more 3G in not so populated areas sucks when you try to show one of your friends in the country a video online and you remember your on edge.

its not enough of a problem to not like the service , i'm very happy with the service it comes in handy when your battery is low too you can just turn the 3G off and use the edge network to get more battery life on a call (with jailbroken iphone)
  • Reply 67 of 71
    I could be wrong , but from what i've been reading it seems like verizon is focusing most of it's attention on implementing the LTE network faster with hopes of expanding later , while at&t is upgrading and expanding its 3G now with plans to implement LTE in 2011

from what is being said the LTE will take about 5 years to be fully available in most major cities for both carriers and it's proposed that there will be substantial 3G congestion even when LTE is available because it will be prominent only in major cities

that would make for good reasoning of why at&t would be taking these steps but seems like the two carriers are sitting across from each other playing chess
  • Reply 68 of 71
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Last night I tested my 3G at home and did it today from work and got the following results. I work really close to home, but I think my building blocks the 3G. How good is my phone service? Mostly it is pretty good but I do get dropped calls, no connection, when at work. At this exact moment sitting at my desk I have 3 stars but it will vary over time. If I went outside I generally get full bars. Before At & T I was with T-Mobile but I never had Verizon.

Last night: 501 kbps download, 358 kbps upload

Today: 211 kpbs download, 302 kpbs upload

home wifi for comparison (Optimum online): 2968 kbps download, 2036 kbps upload
  • Reply 69 of 71
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

i live in Dallas and i still get 2-3 dropped calls every single day. how do phone companies get to cook yup all these numbers.

Yeah sometimes i get 2000+ Kb on my download test but its still slow as hell

And i have never seen 700 upload speeds. Oh and Dallas was part of the upgrade. They said all upgrades would be complete bu Jan 1st

BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!

I live in Arlington, work in Dallas and have never had a dropped call and typically have 4-5 bars for 3G. Just saying.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

AT&T = FAIL

Verizon = not perfect, but awesome! I'm an Apple fan boy but I'm not getting the iPhone until it Apple pleads with Verizon to take their phone.

Surely you jest. Apple is not pleading with VZW. Nor will they ever imo.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    On my 3GS with 5 bars signal

Time 0946 (morning)

354/55 down/up ping 3856ms

Time 1645 (evening rush)

121/56 down/up ping 35775ms

Time 1659 (evening rush)

1172/58 down/up ping 2469ms

Very poor service in downtown area! So my question is where/when did they take data for SF?