Apple to sell iPad at Best Buy and other assisted locations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:

Cook also said he's not particularly concerned about the prospect of the iPad cannibalizing other Apple products, such as iPod touch or Mac sales.

No, since Apple removed all but one of the MacBooks last year to make room for the iPad.

So it's a product switch and god knows what is going to happen to future Mac's, I suspect just a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro will be the only devices capable of the original open OS X UI.

All the rest will have the touchscreen UI in some fashion, using Apple's A4 processors too.

Take a look here to see where Apple is going to go.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...alt/tsalt.html
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Dunno- but Apple stock is down 2% because WalMArt bought VUDU.

Studly, you done got it wrong again! OBVIOUSLY you missed the announcement that Coinstar saw it's one millionth download of the Redbox App in the App Store. That's what drove Apple stock down. Not WalMart buying Vudu. Or the Dow being off by 100.97. Or NASDAQ down by 28.59. Or S&P off by 13.41. Sheesh. Learn how to read yer market indicators!
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

No, since Apple removed all but one of the MacBooks last year to make room for the iPad.

So it's a product switch and god knows what is going to happen to future Mac's, I suspect just a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro will be the only devices capable of the original open OS X UI.

All the rest will have the touchscreen UI in some fashion, using Apple's A4 processors too.

Take a look here to see where Apple is going to go.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...alt/tsalt.html

Oh heck no Woohoo! That touchscreen crap by HP?? Seriously? The ergonomics alone are enough to kill it, let alone the dependency on Windows 7. Not to mention the lack of power. I've messed with one of those already. It is NOT a user friendly experience.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Winsness View Post

The projections for sales on the iPad are far exceeding the iPhone. With a higher ASP, the iPad will blow the stock clear out of the water!!!

With a primed population of nearly 80 million users already highly satisfied with iPhones and iPod Touch there is no real learning curve to overcome. But time will tell once it is released.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

By the way, Cook said much more, as reported here:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

Not sure when AI will report on it.

Good link! The best line was this:

Quote:

Cook says he would caution that people hear enterprise, and think it is bigger than consumer market; but it is actually only 10% of the PC market, with consumer more than 50%.

There is is there.

So if consumer is +50% and enterprise is 10%, does that mean business and government is apx 40%?

Business and government need custom options with their computers, which tend to eat into margins.

So Apple is catering to more than 50% of the consumer market with closed devices and even finding ways to reduce headaches, with soldered on batteries, SSD's, no keyboards, all machine made and packaged, etc. The cream of the crop.

Very very interesting.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Ehh at least it's not launching in Walmart...

I'm not a fan of apple selling their products outside the apple store and maybe ATT stores. Best buy's have a terrible presentation for their mac section (i see macs somewhere in the corner or just sprinkled amongst all the other laptops and music players). Plus the customer service people don't know a thing about a mac (or a windows laptop for that matter) and it kinda degrades the experience. The sucess of the apple stores has been that they offer knowledgeable stuff in a clean and interesting environment, where you can talk to a genius, learn something new or get your machine repaired. That is how it should be I think.

That's fine if you live in the US and have access to Apple Stores that are, in many markets, nearby. But where I live, the closest Apple Store is about a 90-minute drive.

Also, all that expert advice might be crucial for new customers but it is of limited value if you're already a convert. Besides, the iPad is such a straightforward device that even some college student working his way through by doing part-time shifts at Walmart would be qualified to sell the thing. Really, what's to know? It works just like an iPod and they are so common now that I doubt many folks will be lost setting their iPads up. As far as how to work with the iPad goes, it is very much an iPod. Granted, it's not likely that folks shopping a netbook would be steered towards the iPad by some kid working electronics at your local Walmart but I don't see sales of this device working that way. The iPad is aggressively priced, for an Apple, but it's still significantly more expensive than your typical netbook. Whereas netbooks are being perceived by some as a low-cost alternative to buying a costlier computer, the iPad doesn't pretend to be a budget replacement for a typical computer. It really does beg to be part of a system that includes a full-feature computer. Some are trying to meet their computing needs with a netbook (and winding up disappointed and frustrated) but with the iPad, I see it as a device that people will want to add to the mix, relying on it for some specific situations to which it's better suited. If anything, I see this device bringing about a revival of desktop systems on account of it makes sense to go with power in a desktop and meet your portable needs with something a lot more handy, albeit stripped down in terms of what it can do.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Tuesday that sales of its upcoming iPad device will follow a model similar to that of the iPhone during its onset

Is the iPad a product or a disease?

Compare and contrast, and explain your answer in 50 words or less.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Is the iPad a product or a disease?

Compare and contrast, and explain your answer in 50 words or less.

The iPad will be a great entry level product to give to computer newbies or those just unable to grasp computers in general, which is a large portion of the population.

The only disease of the iPad is it's closed UI making it's way to regular Mac's or by shear numbers reduces the market share for open OS X software as developers opt to write for the iPad and the App Store instead of regular Mac's.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Oh heck no Woohoo! That touchscreen crap by HP?? Seriously? The ergonomics alone are enough to kill it, let alone the dependency on Windows 7. Not to mention the lack of power. I've messed with one of those already. It is NOT a user friendly experience.

I think that's sort of where Apple is going to go for the iMac's unfortunately. (not as crappy that of course)

Apple followed HP with the glossy screens too.

HP is Apple's biggest threat in the consumer market, the ex-HP CEO who pioneered the purchase of Compaq works for Apple now you know.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I understand your feelings. However, because Apple has its largest user base in the USA, I think it believes it can get the biggest launch in the US. This wait-overnight popularity, reported worldwide, then creates momentum for future sales in other countries.

It's worked many times before. Excepting your feelings, why fix what isn't broken?

Also, Apple isn't the only company that does this. Most companies focus on their home market before expanding abroad. Amazon did this for Kindle (still not highly available outside the US), Microsoft did this for Zune, Sony did it with their products. This is almost necessary when you have carrier & content partners to deal with.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, I would argue that they don't know that it "isn't broken."

For instance, the 3Gs supply was so poor that I had to wait six months to get a hold of one despite trying to get one from the very first day. There were no more than a half dozen or so handsets at each store for that entire period.

Because the PR was controlled, not many people in Canada were aware of this. Certainly no stories were written in the US about it, and basically no one cared at Apple HQ. At the same time however, we are talking about a huge potential in lost sales. How many people got a blackberry instead?

IMO this is a colossal failure on the part of Apple, even if as you say, it's something they may not be even aware that they are failing at.

My point is simply that if there is enough product to supply tertiary outlets in big box retailers in the USA, that it's a slap in the face to everyone up here if it isn't going to also be available in Canada, at least at the Apple store.

Canada is a big modern country that's only a hair different from the USA, most of the population lives within a half hour drive of the USA border. We have a superior 3G infrastructure and all *five* of our carriers allow tethering as part of the base contract. We are arguably more ready for the iPad than the USA is, and in fact a better testing ground for the product, but it seems likely at this point that we won't get iPad for most of 2010.

I agree with you on principal, and especially because I have friends and family in Canada. However, they may be doing population comparisons or per capita income profiles that color how and where they release. For example, Canada has roughly just over 34 million in population, compared to the US population of 304 million. And frankly millions of potential Canadian customers are still millions of customers to my mind.

But in purely marketing terms, you look at just 3 of the top tier cities in the US: New York City with over 8 million; Los Angeles with over 3 million (nearly 10 million if you include the surrounding Los Angeles county area); Chicago with nearly 3 million; Houston with just over 2 million. The state of California at 36 million has a larger population than all of Canada! Followed by Texas at just shy of 30 million, then New York state and Florida at 18 and 12 million respectively.

Worse, the US has a yearly per capita income of just over 40K. Canada's per capita income is just under 32K. On a ranking of the top 17 countries, Canada ranks below Sweden, Austria, Netherlands, Switzerland, United States and Norway, but above Australia, Finland, Denmark, Belgium, UK, Germany, Japan, France and Italy (according to the Conference Board of Canada).

These are the numbers (and other even more esoteric) that drive product placement and supply decisions - I don't necessarily agree with it - just reflecting on the unfortunate reality. Which is why for example, there there are probably more Blackberries in use in the US than Canada, even though RIM is a Canadian company. I do prefer the Canadian ethos in many respects (ignoring the oddly bipolar nature of your political system however), and certainly Canadian beer!
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I think that's sort of where Apple is going to go for the iMac's unfortunately. (not as crappy that of course)

Apple followed HP with the glossy screens too.

HP is Apple's biggest threat in the consumer market, the ex-HP CEO who pioneered the purchase of Compaq works for Apple now you know.

HP is a clear leader in the PC market in terms of sales and volume. HP isn't a threat to Apple, in terms of taking away anything from Apple, as HP still has to deal with the limitations imposed by having to rely on Microsoft to make their OS clearly better than the MacOS, and thus the user experience better as well. Fortunately HP has the whole enterprise market to anchor it's sales (split somewhat uncomfortably with Dell) so they are potentially as failsafe as anyone in the industry. However, if they lose server sales, and if the thin client/VDI concept takes hold in enterprise mindshare, they could lose a substantial amount of desktop/laptop sales. They can build decent hardware but still have to deal with whatever Microsoft places on them.

Apple is not under such limitations, owning both hardware and OS. I don't see Apple migrating their entire portfolio to an A4 approach as you have described. There isn't enough market to justify that, and they still have professional segments that will demand MacOSX not MobileOSX on the hardware. I do see a port of the CocoaTouch interface as an option, assuming a workable user interface from the hardware side. But there are a lot of challenges in that area. I look for an expansion of voice+touch to develop over time, because that model does a good job of each covering the shortcomings of the other.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

I know it's not intentional, it's just part of that blind USA smuggery that no one who lives down there even notices they are doing when they do it. However polite Canadians might be though, we aren't dumb and people notice these kinds of things and remember them, even if we can't do anything about it.

Awww...... I feel for you, I really do, but there's a lot more than that. Canada is a sovereign country with its own laws, regulations, product standards, copyrights/trademark rules, currency, media content-related rules, distributor and employee relations, system of weights and measures, etc etc compared to the US.

A US company can't just willy-nilly produce a complex product that cuts across many of these types of issues and simply say, "oh yeah, let me sell it in Canada too, that 51st state"!

(OK, OK, that last bit was totally unnecessary, I know but somehow couldn't resist....)
  • Reply 34 of 51
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

For instance, the 3Gs supply was so poor that I had to wait six months to get a hold of one despite trying to get one from the very first day. There were no more than a half dozen or so handsets at each store for that entire period.

The simple fact is when Apple launches a product, the number of units is limited by the ramp up in production (not only in their contracted assembly company, but also for the slew of suppliers in the chain). Apple chooses to maintain quality in the initial new manufacturing process for a new product. They know they might lose some sales but Apple's business isn't a sprint, but a marathon.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    A question: Does "assisted sales" mean that there's an Apple-trained salesperson in the area? Or does it simply mean there's any salesperson in the Apple products area? In other words, why is Best Buy considered "assisted sales"?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

If supply is limited, and you are already thumbing your nose at anyone living outside of the USA, why restrict it even more by shovelling large numbers into big box retailers? I feel Apple is completely letting it's customers down lately with this stupid focus on the USA customer above all others.

If the supply is anything like the 3Gs, we won't be able to buy an iPad in Canada until Xmas 2010. It's not like Canada is some exotic foreign locale or has substantially different laws, import duties or tax structures or anything, this is just another "f-you" to "foreigners" from Apple.

Their business culture seriously needs to evolve beyond the early 90's. Or maybe the execs need to travel outside of the USA once in a while.

How did you come to that conclusion?

History has shown that the majority of products Apple releases in the U.S. are virtually here the same day. The 3G were available here the same day they were released in the U.S. I know I got mine before my wife's cousin in Boston could get hers.

It would appear that the initial allotments for the iPad certainly would be shared proportionally amongst all the Apple Stores (14 of which are in Canada), certified Apple resellers and in stores like Best Buy in which Apple has a personal presence.

I ordered my first Mac in 1984 and got it just as fast as anybody else did in the U.S. I can remember visiting the Apple reseller store in Cupertino a year later. I was surprised to see that they didn't have any more in their store than most of the stores in Toronto. In fact, I had just bought Microsoft Excel. They hadn't even heard of it.

In the past 6 months I have visited Apple stores in Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester, Boston, Vancouver, Seattle and Beijing. I didn't see anything different from one store to another. There was noting in the U.S. stores that I couldn't as easily get in Toronto; except for a U.S. iTunes Gift Card.

IMO your remarks are unjustified.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Because the PR was controlled, not many people in Canada were aware of this. Certainly no stories were written in the US about it, and basically no one cared at Apple HQ. At the same time however, we are talking about a huge potential in lost sales. How many people got a blackberry instead?

IMO this is a colossal failure on the part of Apple, even if as you say, it's something they may not be even aware that they are failing at.

My point is simply that if there is enough product to supply tertiary outlets in big box retailers in the USA, that it's a slap in the face to everyone up here if it isn't going to also be available in Canada, at least at the Apple store.

Canada is a big modern country that's only a hair different from the USA, most of the population lives within a half hour drive of the USA border. We have a superior 3G infrastructure and all *five* of our carriers allow tethering as part of the base contract. We are arguably more ready for the iPad than the USA is, and in fact a better testing ground for the product, but it seems likely at this point that we won't get iPad for most of 2010.

I know it's not intentional, it's just part of that blind USA smuggery that no one who lives down there even notices they are doing when they do it. However polite Canadians might be though, we aren't dumb and people notice these kinds of things and remember them, even if we can't do anything about it.

Strange odd words

The USA loves CANADA. In fact i hope my kids grow up to be like our friends up north . Well behaved and nice over all people. I am watching the classy Olympics right now . CANADA did A GREAT JOB AS A HOST !!

i am sorry that apple chose such poor re sellers. Can't you buy apple products direct from the online Apple store ??

peace from nyc
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Studly, you done got it wrong again! OBVIOUSLY you missed the announcement that Coinstar saw it's one millionth download of the Redbox App in the App Store. That's what drove Apple stock down. Not WalMart buying Vudu. Or the Dow being off by 100.97. Or NASDAQ down by 28.59. Or S&P off by 13.41. Sheesh. Learn how to read yer market indicators!

silly me i thought is was the 10 billionth music down load that did it
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

And that is what is so great about it!

Manage digital images, music, video, and surf the web and use e-mail.

Plus, have access to about 150,000 applications, with a ten hour battery life, on about a ten inch screen!

the games will be great in the ipad .
  • Reply 40 of 51
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

Their business culture seriously needs to evolve beyond the early 90's. Or maybe the execs need to travel outside of the USA once in a while.

Spot on! I bet they hardly ever leave. Seeing Jonathon Ive drinking brandy or scotch in the middle of the day - that stuff isn't even the 90s... who does that anymore??