MacBook Pros in tight supply, new models could broaden gap with MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

about time, who in their right mind would pay $2000 for a 15" LCD laptop with a C2D and only 256MB of graphics RAM?

I can think of 2, no make that 3 on here, that would- without a doubt.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    Really anxious for the update myself. This will be my first laptop of any kind that is actually mine, and not a work laptop. Right now I'm looking at the middle tier 15" MBP, and I assume I'll probably stick with that post-refresh. The processor update will be great, and anything else is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I'm planning on getting the stock hard drive and then upgrading this to a SSD in 6 months or a year when the prices come down more. It's really hard for me to justify (to the wife especially) another $650 when the base price is already $2k.

Well, here's to hoping that the refresh is soon.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am happy with my Santa Rosa MBP. One day I will upgrade to a more recent MBP. It won't be until at least I see USB 3.0 integrated.

Now that we are past the average upgrade time and Arrandale should be good supply now, it's looking more and more like the next pro Mac update will be a major revision, not just a spec bump.

I'm hoping they include USB3.0 in their pro Macs now because if they wait until the next typical revision it'll be 2011 and well after most vendors will be likely including it.Plus, it would help the iPhone this summer and iPod Touch this fall if it was USB3.0 capable. They obviously aren't going to support FireWire for syncing and LightPeak is still aways off so USB is it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Like anyone is gonna order a MBP today when refresh is imminent..

On this site, not likely, but I went to the Apple Store the other day to get a couple new Nike+ sensors and waited behind two people buying Macs. This was right when they opened and there were already a dozen people in the store. Even if you watch the upgrade cycles if you need it, you need it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is there any reason to expect that Apple won't start 2010 with USB 3?

Besides the iPad not currently USB 3.0 publicly.

While I doubt it has USB3.0, if it did I'd doubt they'd have publicly stated that the iPad supports USB3.0 when they don't have a single Mac supporting it yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

March not June, god willing.

Now you're referring to Steve Jobs as god? You are the ultimate self-hating Applist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

not June, not March...I'm hoping today

It's to late in the day. Hopefully we get notice by tomorrow of a special event next week for the new pro Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's enough of that "joke".

Emphasis on the quotations around joke.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Well Intel not providing USB 3.0 chipsets for another year is a hurdle. Given the delay in releasing new MBP, I would think (hope?) that something new is coming though.

Intel not supporting may not mean anything, especially to Apple who often doesn't use every part of Intel's chipsets.

Note that Asus started producing logic boards with USB3.0 last year and Apple has used Asus before to make their boards. I'm hoping that the reason jumped on this so quickly was because of Apple's designs and requests to get USB3.0 out in 2010.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

When MacBook Pros get new features, they eventually trickle down to the regular MacBooks. This increases the value/quality of the MacBooks but also makes the MacBook Pros seem less "worth it" in terms of cost. Since the last MacBook update added the LED display, built-in batteries and Multitouch trackpad, I wonder if Apple will add any new features to the Pros to help differentiate?

Benefits of MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

+Slightly faster processor speeds

+Aluminum Unibody

+Firewire 800

+SD Card Slot

+Backlit Keyboard

+Upgradable to 4 or 8 GB RAM

+Upgradable to 7200 RPM HDD

(Am I missing anything?)

I am waiting to update my 2006 first-gen MacBook with the new (presumed) 15" Core i5s. I just wonder when?! I can barely take my MB off the outlet anymore - it's more like a portable desktop!

The aluminium unibody is two points: strength/rigidity and resale value.

I'm jumping the gun, but I'd like to see the removal of the ODD, the use of 2x 7mm HDDs or SSDs. SSD options from a wider range, including Intel. Make a HW RAID for the two drives and and use 6Gbps SATA3 (obviously this means fixing the current SATA controller issues). The removal of the ODD, use of a 7mm HDDs or SSDs means the max height could be 7mm, or a thinning by 2.5mm.

When this happen I'd also like to see a 15" unibody plastic MB with the clunky ODD inside added to the list. I think there is a market for it. This would create a wider range between the pro and non-pro machines while offering more choices for users. I have to think that the 13" MB in one configuration was to test the plastic unibody construction. Recall that they updated it many times last year.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    Quote:

March not June, god willing.

not likely.

a May refresh to kick off Back to School allows them to join the marketing together. In fact I wouldn't be shocked to see them off a free ipod touch, or use the money for an ipad

part of why they might have slowed down laptop production is that sales have slowed (given that many know that there's often a late spring price drop/refresh) and they want to devote resources to ipad production. Just because we haven't seen an announcement about the FCC doesn't mean Apple hasn't gotten the approvals.

releasing two ipads over 2 months AND new laptops not likely. They will want to spread things out a little so the retail staff can focus on the ipad and kick it off strong.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    I am starting to doubt that Apple will refresh the macbook pro's prior to the release of the Ipad. I know a lot of people on these boards are waiting for new tech, but I don't know how many of the average users out there really think about that. If Macbook sales aren't dipping, Apple is under no pressure to update them.

By waiting until Ipad's are available for purchase in the stores, the additional traffic to the stores generated by a Macbook Pro refresh will be opportunities for Ipad sales as well.

I am really interested in seeing what the update brings, but I am getting skeptical that anything will happen before April.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The aluminium unibody is two points: strength/rigidity and resale value.

I'm jumping the gun, but I'd like to see the removal of the ODD, the use of 2x 7mm HDDs or SSDs. SSD options from a wider range, including Intel. Make a HW RAID for the two drives and and use 6Gbps SATA3 (obviously this means fixing the current SATA controller issues). The removal of the ODD, use of a 7mm HDDs or SSDs means the max height could be 7mm, or a thinning by 2.5mm.

When this happen I'd also like to see a 15" unibody plastic MB with the clunky ODD inside added to the list. I think there is a market for it. This would create a wider range between the pro and non-pro machines while offering more choices for users. I have to think that the 13" MB in one configuration was to test the plastic unibody construction. Recall that they updated it many times last year.

Good points to consider. I would hope that at least some of your list is also on theirs.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's enough of that "joke".

that joke was old the first time it was said.

Quote:

Can we pray for a Blu-ray R/CDRW drive or a 13" matte/nonglare screen?

you can pray. but you have better odds getting that pony.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Probably not a matte option for the 13". It seems this is an option apple only wants to offer the pro users (started with 17 and finally migrated to 15).

i could see them doing it online but agree it is not likely to appear in store.

Quote:

I'm starting to think we'll never see blu-ray drives in mac computers...

with the itunes store, not likely. someone might make an internal for the pros but it's unlikely we'll ever have built in drives for anything else. Although playback from an external would be nice. We already have burning via things like Toast.
  • Reply 28 of 115
    My mid-2004 PowerBook finally bit it a few weeks ago (5 and a half years of use isn't too bad for a laptop, eh?) and the wait for these new MBP's is killing me!
  • Reply 29 of 115
    I'm waiting for the new 13"...and hopefully a new 21.5" ACD to go with it.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    what are the chances you guys think the next refresh will incorporate the automatic switch dual graphic chips?
  • Reply 31 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post

what are the chances you guys think the next refresh will incorporate the automatic switch dual graphic chips?

I thought I forgot something. If they don't have dynamic graphics switching this round I will hold off on getting a new MBP. This is about the only requirementI have for my next purchase.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now you're referring to Steve Jobs as god? You are the ultimate self-hating Applist.

No - but you just did and that reveals more about you than I or anyone should ever need to know.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Like anyone is gonna order a MBP today when refresh is imminent..

Quote:

Quadra- are you there?

I might. But just after the refresh. Deals, deals!!

I sometimes get the previous gen right after the refresh. Then again I hang onto my Mac(s) for quite a long time before I upgrade.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    Well...i predict new MBPs with new processors...then apple will somehow manage to make a fault with it, which apple will blatently ignore for a few months, then semi-fix.....i hope not lol
  • Reply 35 of 115
    Quote:

Probably not a matte option for the 13". It seems this is an option apple only wants to offer the pro users (started with 17 and finally migrated to 15).

:

I was attending a government technology conference recently and several of the professionals there used a 13" MBP. I would use it too if it had a matte display.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

When MacBook Pros get new features, they eventually trickle down to the regular MacBooks. This increases the value/quality of the MacBooks but also makes the MacBook Pros seem less "worth it" in terms of cost. Since the last MacBook update added the LED display, built-in batteries and Multitouch trackpad, I wonder if Apple will add any new features to the Pros to help differentiate?

Benefits of MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

+Slightly faster processor speeds

+Aluminum Unibody

+Firewire 800

+SD Card Slot

+Backlit Keyboard

+Upgradable to 4 or 8 GB RAM

+Upgradable to 7200 RPM HDD

(Am I missing anything?)

Yes, You are missing .. BLU-RAY

The Superdrive is just not very super anymore. As someone who works with music and photography, I really need to option to backup files to BD disc. Also, i have a large BD movie collection and i can't spare any hard drive space on my laptop for digital copies to fill it up. and i also have netflix. so i like to rent BD discs. digital copy or not. i need BD
  • Reply 37 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I might. But just after the refresh. Deals, deals!!

I sometimes get the previous gen right after the refresh. Then again I hang onto my Mac(s) for quite a long time before I upgrade.

Were you the guy in the CNBC special "MAcHeads' who has Macs all over his house, attic and garage?
  • Reply 38 of 115
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Were you the guy in the CNBC special "MAcHeads' who has Macs all over his house, attic and garage?

I have a Color Classic and a bunch of Duos, does that get me cool points?

WTF with this update, for real. I feel like more people are waiting on this update than usual, maybe it's just because I'm waiting it feels so nuts. But it seems there are dozens of people here and hundreds at Macrumors.com (which I never even heard about until this dang MBP update limbo). Also I feel like there are way more rumors this time around. Just look at macrumors.com or even AI. It's torture. A new rumor that seems to be very convincing that MBPs are coming out in a week or "any day now" comes out like every week since January!! This Apple secrecy crap is just lame for minor product updates.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I have a Color Classic and a bunch of Duos, does that get me cool points?

WTF with this update, for real. I feel like more people are waiting on this update than usual, maybe it's just because I'm waiting it feels so nuts. But it seems there are dozens of people here and hundreds at Macrumors.com (which I never even heard about until this dang MBP update limbo). Also I feel like there are way more rumors this time around. Just look at macrumors.com or even AI. It's torture. A new rumor that seems to be very convincing that MBPs are coming out in a week or "any day now" comes out like every week since January!! This Apple secrecy crap is just lame for minor product updates.

This crazy impatience and hand-wringing is typical for Apple fansites, which incidentally, do not reflect reality. Just don't read too much into it, go with the flow, and have your $$ ready for when the updates arrive.
  • Reply 40 of 115
    Quote:

I'm starting to think we'll never see blu-ray drives in mac computers...

And just why is the 13" MBP not "pro"? I really don't understand why Apple limits the pricing and options available on smaller models. The size of the models should not be related to price and the options available to the price. It's just a preference, and many people would like to spend more on a smaller model to get a capable yet portable machine.