Apple pushes out another beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 clear of issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday evening extended to its developer community yet another beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 which lists no known issues, suggesting a formal release over Software Update may be around the corner.

The pre-release software, labeled Mac OS X 10.6.3 build 10D561, arrives exactly two weeks after the Mac maker equipped developers with build 10D552, which similarly listed no known issues.

People familiar with the latest beta claim no changes have been made to the software's enhancements checklist, which includes an update to QuickTime X that improves security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability.

Other changes present since earlier betas include tweaks that enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite and improved compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications.

Those familiar with Wednesday's beta say Apple is now asking developers to focus their evaluation efforts on Bluetooth, iChat, and USB, in addition to two previously listed focus areas: graphics drivers and QuickTime.

An earlier emphasis on AirPort testing has reportedly been omitted from build 10D561.

Mac OS X 10.6.3 currently weighs in at just over 716MB in Delta form, down slightly from the 737MB package distributed with the previous seeding.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    geez, I was hoping for a final release today.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]This is all good and well, but...

Given that OSX began shipping in 2002, it's really about time for a bit of 'innovation' in the form of something completely new.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Given that OSX began shipping in 2002, it's really about time for a bit of 'innovation' in the form of something completely new.[/CENTER]

Change for the sake of change makes zero sense.

Change that has reasoning behind it should be considered carefully, especially when your publicly-traded company's responsibility is to increase shareholder value.

Please propose a change that would help increase shareholder value for me. I bought AAPL at $44/share; it closed over $200 today. Thanks.

Oh, and using the ~18-year-old CENTER HTML tag doesn't really improve the quality of your comments. Just thought you might like to know.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks like it's ready to go live. I wonder if they are waiting for the pro Mac updates to land. Are their any odd tags for future HW in the 10.6.3 Betas?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

geez, I was hoping for a final release today.

Aren't those usually dropped on Fridays now?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

OSX will be with us for like 12 more years according to Steve. At this point I don't see any need to change OSX, just keep updating for new hardware and fine tuning. I love what snow leopard did in terms of fine tuning the OS (like letting you drill down folders.

I would like to see a new version of flash however that does not make the fans spin and eating up 120% of my processor while using street view in google maps.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Quote:

Apple pushes out another beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 clear of issues

Ah! perhaps finally 10.6 will be more reliable, roll out some new anti-reflective MBP's with replaceable hard drives and batteries and I'm ready to rock with my CC.

note: edited to clarify (replaced "out of beta")
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Aren't those (final releases) usually dropped on Fridays now?

Nope, no release pattern. Apparently they're dropped on random weekdays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...elease_history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...elease_history
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I would like to see a new version of flash however that does not make the fans spin and eating up 120% of my processor while using street view in google maps.

Flash is a product from Adobe Systems Incorporated, not Apple Inc.

Apple has no say in how Adobe writes their code nor does Apple distribute Adobe Flash in their OS X software installations.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Take your time, get it right. I'm going to be away from my Mac for a week, otherwise I would be saying Friday please.

[CENTER]Just checking how AI does this centering [/CENTER]

As an earlier poster was accused of using the old center tag, but guess what, it is AI that does it. No CSS available here.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It's out and being used somewhat. It will be used much more in the very near future. It's called:

HTML5
  • Reply 11 of 66
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Ah! perhaps finally 10.6 will be out of beta, roll out some new anti-reflective MBP's with replaceable hard drives and batteries and I'm ready to rock with my CC.

I realize you're just trolling, but Dell has some computers you would probably find lovely. They're over at dell.com. Have a nice day.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I hope they are waiting to release the new iWork and iLife in one big package once 10.6.3 is ready to be released. I'm still using iWork '08 and Leopard. I'm ready to upgrade but it makes no sense to buy the upgrade pack now...
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I think we should all get the hint now. Apple is going to release these updates slower than normal. That means don't look for 10.7 anytime soon. 10.6 was a foundational release meant to support the multiple platforms (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc).

My hopes are that Apple focuses more on the Apps in the OS than the OS itself. They need to refine Safari, Mail, iWork, iLife, QuickTime, and all the rest of their consumer facing products. On the server side they need to beef up their offerings too. Apple should take a break from churning out OS major releases and just work on new products. Save OS 10.7 (or 11) for late 2011 or 2012.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I think we should all get the hint now. Apple is going to release these updates slower than normal. That means don't look for 10.7 anytime soon. 10.6 was a foundational release meant to support the multiple platforms (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc).

I don't know, I think we should expect the 10.7 sneak peak at WWDC with an initial dev build for attendees, and the first real demo in early 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:

And Windows 7 is Windows NT 6.1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Flash is a product from Adobe Systems Incorporated, not Apple Inc.

Apple has no say in how Adobe writes their code nor does Apple distribute Adobe Flash in their OS X software installations.

I know that the new Cult fad is that Adobe has cooties... but Apple DOES distribute Flash in their OS X software installations.

Better head back for another dose.. And enjoy the Kool-Aid!
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Hmmm. Wake me up when apple decides to support Blu-Ray for Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

My hopes are that Apple focuses more on the Apps in the OS than the OS itself. They need to refine Safari, Mail, iWork, iLife, QuickTime, and all the rest of their consumer facing products. On the server side they need to beef up their offerings too. Apple should take a break from churning out OS major releases and just work on new products. Save OS 10.7 (or 11) for late 2011 or 2012.

Agree totally.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

I know that the new Cult fad is that Adobe has cooties... but Apple DOES distribute Flash in their OS X software installations.

Really?

If that's indeed the case, then my bad about the comment about Apple not distributing Flash in OS X. I hope Apple is charging Adobe a premium in redistributing Adobe Flash.

However, that still doesn't change the more important point that Apple has no say about the quality of Adobe's code.

Oh, and Gene Amdahl would not really care for you using his name for such a poorly executed attempt at logic.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Really?

If that's indeed the case, then my bad about the comment about Apple not distributing Flash in OS X. I hope Apple is charging Adobe a premium in redistributing Adobe Flash.

However, that still doesn't change the more important point that Apple has no say about the quality of Adobe's code.

Oh, and Gene Amdahl would not really care for you using his name for such a poorly executed attempt at logic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3864

10.6.1 Was almost exclusively to patch up Flash.