Amazon frantically phoned publishers as Steve Jobs unveiled iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

For downloading books and magazines, why is having a 24/7 connection all that important? I'd think you could download what you want at home, your hotel, or perhaps a coffee shop, and then enjoy it offline the rest of the day.

I don't disagree, but I note that is exactly what was done in the 1990's, by syncing a Palm Pilot.

I sometimes get amazed surfing Google News on my iPhone, thinking back to the days when I used to sync with several news sources in the AM, and have that "new" content for the rest of the day. It seems so quaint, so 20th Century at this point.

That being said, I have a couple of dozen novels on the iPhone right now, and several unwatched movies, all synced onto it just like the old Palmpilot days.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

It would have been best for Apple, since the iPad doesn't have yearly contract issues, to have the 3G on every model even if it's not enabled. Then in 6 months when a user decides they want 3G they just go get a SIM from AT&T.

I plan to get the Wifi version, but I'm sure from time to time I'll regret not having 3G. (Of course, I'm saving $30/month too.) Would be nice if the iPhone could tether for those odd occasions I need a quick download outside of Wifi.

I too will be going WiFi only even though there will be a few times I miss the 3G. But being in Canada where my data plan choices are the utterly useless Bell or Rogers, I have no hope at all for either a) cheap plans (like AT&Ts $14.99), or b) no contract. Then again, there will also be no books for us Canucks anyway to begin.

Means I can get my iPad a month ahead of the 3G folks though.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If you buy an iPad to read books, then you either don't read a lot or don't value your eye balls.

People who will be buying an iPad won't be reading on the like Kindle readers read. I have a Kindle 2 and me using it to read and buy books won't change unless when I try out an iPad something is different that I am not seeing. Like an e-ink display.

In the meantime, I will be getting an iPad for all the other reasons besides reading a book.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

If you buy an iPad to read books, then you either don't read a lot or don't value your eye balls.

and you know this for a fact because you have an ipad.

oh wait.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and you know this for a fact because you have an ipad.

oh wait.

Oh wait, they released the specifications on the display. Oh man, what a concept!
  • Reply 26 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

People who will be buying an iPad won't be reading on the like Kindle readers read. I have a Kindle 2 and me using it to read and buy books won't change unless when I try out an iPad something is different that I am not seeing. Like an e-ink display.

In the meantime, I will be getting an iPad for all the other reasons besides reading a book.

People spend 8+ hours a day working on worst displays. I've been spending much more every day working on my computer for the last 15 years and my eye sight didn't change. My doctor told me as long as I keep my eyes moist, keep the display at reasonable distance, and avoid squinting I will be fine.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

And since the vast majority of e-books is read from a PC screen, and not from a Kindle...
  • Reply 28 of 50
    I'm imagining Amazon frantically dialing all the publishers, then finally reaching HarperCollins, who starts screaming "Show me the money! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"
  • Reply 29 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

One weakness of the iPad is that without the 3G data plan, the user is dependent on WiFi to download paid content, including books, magazines, etc. Not an issue if I am at home or work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quite frankly, in this day and age, relying strictly on WiFi (without option to tether to a mobile device) is kind of a deal-breaker. Speaking for myself, I'll be getting the 3G version.

I'm in the same boat. Without a 3G option the iPad could have never been an option for me. I wasn't expecting the very nice contract free option but speculated that there would have to be a WiFi-only version and a 3G+WiFi version. I had hoped they would follow the Kindle in this area and allowed for every model to come with 3G with instant access to the iBookstore, App Store, and iTunes Store, but without access to the internet unless you paid for the monthly data service.

It would have nice to have magazines and newspapers downloaded to your iPad the night before, waiting for you when you picked it up without having to do anything else, like when you receive them at your doorstep or in the mail. This would have been the "killer app" for me.

Quote:

I've been tethering my MBP to my iPhone for quite some time now when on the road. Love it.

I had been doing that and getting over 3Mbps in my current area, but something went awry. I know I clicked DL only on the last iPhone OS update, but it installed it, too, wiping out my tethering profile. Oh well, c'est la vie.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

II plan to get the Wifi version, but I'm sure from time to time I'll regret not having 3G. (Of course, I'm saving $30/month too.) Would be nice if the iPhone could tether for those odd occasions I need a quick download outside of Wifi.

Just to make sure this is clear, the 3G iPad's AT&T service is non-contractual. There is no obligation to pay for the 3G service until you need it.

PS: GPS chip only comes in 3G model, but I'm not sure if the GPS will work without the 3G service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

...and has a fairly narrow viewing angle to get the best contrast. I'm not impressed, certainly not enough to pay that much for something that can only really display text.

I'm now hearing that as a talking point or the Kindle as if the narrow viewing angle was intended or if anyone really cares.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamiec View Post

I'm imagining Amazon frantically dialing all the publishers, then finally reaching HarperCollins, who starts screaming "Show me the money! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"

That actually made me laugh at loud.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    They got to be, not doing so, just doesn't make any sense, and not coming out with it, BEFORE the iPad hits the market, is just foolish ? IMHO.

Now the good news is, if they are in fact working on a new kindle, that means, Apple will up the aunty quickly, (camera, iChat coming soon) which is a great thing for us Apple folks.

My question is, how much will Amazon invest in the Kindle, and for how long? I believe Apple has enough money to weather the storm (albeit a small storm) that Amazon could bring on, but is it worth it for them?

Skip
  • Reply 33 of 50
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

...I believe Apple has enough money to weather the storm (albeit a small storm) that Amazon could bring on, but is it worth it for them?

I think $40B in cash is enough to weather more than a small storm.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would have nice to have magazines and newspapers downloaded to your iPad the night before, waiting for you when you picked it up without having to do anything else, like when you receive them at your doorstep or in the mail. This would have been the "killer app" for me.

If the iPad is in range of a WiFi hotspot (your home), I don't see any reason it couldn't be set up to do this. Whether they actually implement something like this or not is a whole other story.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If the iPad is in range of a WiFi hotspot (your home), I don't see any reason it couldn't be set up to do this. Whether they actually implement something like this or not is a whole other story.

That would have been fine, too. Harness the power of push notifications, so when you buy a magazine or newspaper subscription and have PN turned on and each periodical's setting set to DL immediately, it would do so when it gets the info from the server that new content is available. If it had that I'd have been willing to get an iPad and pay for content that I've been getting for free for years now. Without the added convenience (and a formatting idealized for the iPad) I see no use.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

IIt would have nice to have magazines and newspapers downloaded to your iPad the night before, waiting for you when you picked it up without having to do anything else, like when you receive them at your doorstep or in the mail. This would have been the "killer app" for me.

If you have WiFi at home, why can't this still happen? I don't see how 3G is required for the iPad to work as an eBook reader or magazine/newspaper reader and auto-sync as you outline above. Yes, 3G is more convenient, but hardly a requirement. And if you need it - it's optional! The real question will be, will the iPad have the smarts to sync on it's own or will you still be required to physically cable it to iTunes?

I'm glad they didn't got the way of Amazon with the Kindle on 3G data - since the Kindle is pretty much a one trick pony that pre-subsidized wireless model makes sense for the device and the carrier. There are guaranteed maximums on how much data will be transferred because of the inherent limitations of the device. The iPad can do so much more and if you thought AT&T was restrictive before with the iPhone, all Apple would have done is tick people off with all the things they couldn't do with their "free" data connection for books and magazines.

I think separating it out like they did with a non-contract model for 3G was the best thing they could have done.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

I'm now hearing that as a talking point or the Kindle as if the narrow viewing angle was intended or if anyone really cares.

For me it was annoying as you are totally dependent on ambient light and I found myself having to twist around to get enough light to make the screen comfortable to me. Perhaps I just live in a cave, but I was unimpressed. Give me a backlit display any day.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

If you have WiFi at home, why can't this still happen? I don't see how 3G is required for the iPad to work as an eBook reader or magazine/newspaper reader and auto-sync as you outline above. Yes, 3G is more convenient, but hardly a requirement. And if you need it - it's optional! The real question will be, will the iPad have the smarts to sync on it's own or will you still be required to physically cable it to iTunes?

Two different thing. I did mention that I wished they'd added 3G as default like the Kindle (and Nook) but my previous comment wasn't about this requiring 3G, just the features I wish they would have added to make this product a must have for myself. I think that would have given periodicals a leg up. I agree that WiFi would work fine since most people will use it in a WiFi area, likely at home.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Two different thing. I did mention that I wished they'd added 3G as default like the Kindle (and Nook) but my previous comment wasn't about this requiring 3G, just the features I wish they would have added to make this product a must have for myself. I think that would have given periodicals a leg up.

But as I pointed out there was no easy way they could do this. If they restricted the "free" 3G to just periodicals, they are being stingy bastards. Not everyone is going to be using the iPad as an eReader, and not everyone wants or needs 3G so now you have bumped up the price of every iPad.

Meh - in the end I think they did the best they could have. Let's be realistic - you only want ubiquitous 3G because the Kindle and Nook (what is that, B&N's reader?) have it. How many people really know what those are, and even if they have heard the name understand that they come with 3G and then will know enough to realize the iPad doesn't have it? It's a very niche feature Still sucks for you because it's something you desired, but there it is.

I REALLY hope the next version of the iPhone OS lets iTunes sync content over WiFi - its absolutely infuriating that I have to tether my iPhone to my computer just to sync podcasts
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:

But as I pointed out there was no easy way they could do this. If they restricted the "free" 3G to just periodicals, they are being stingy bastards. Not everyone is going to be using the iPad as an eReader, and not everyone wants or needs 3G so now you have bumped up the price of every iPad.

1) By wanting it to have free 3G for iTS, App Store, and iBookstore downloads by default I wasn't implying that it wouldn't have any other 3G access capabilities. I've stated, at least in other threads, that also allowing for 3G data access via AT&T would be necessary but also allowing those who don't want to pay a monthly fee wouldn't have to. This would increase the HW cost, but I didn't think it would retail for so cheap.

2) I don't see this is as being a difficult thing to do so long as you have the periodical publisher on board. You give them a template to use for the device and let them test and distribute it when its ready using the push technology already found on iPhones and iPods. The system gets a message that their is a magazine or newspaper that is ready which it then calls their server with your account data (baed on just your iTS account, not a different one for each publisher). The customer will determine if the quality is good enough letting the free market work itself out.