Apple sues HTC for alleged infringement of 20 iPhone patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 282
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

If your a shareholder, fine, but don't make this about morality.

It takes much effort to innovate. Many risks are taken. Money, time even relationships gambled.

When companies steal my ideas (which they have on numerous occasions) it's soul destroying, .

It would be so much easier for me to just steal other people ideas, but I do not find that a challenge, and yes IMO it's morally wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 282
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that htc has been making phones for longer then apple has. A

Meaningless.

Apple introduced the iPhone and suddenly everyone else got busy changing around their UIs, adding capacitive touch screens, you name it.

Apple knows exactly what they're doing in the legal arena. They've dodged any and all antitrust dangers, maintained their iTunes business model, fought off all allegations of corporate wrongdoing (stock-options, etc.) and recently got their OS X EULA upheld, burying Psystar.

Smart money is on Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 282
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Everyone's suing everyone these days.
  • Reply 24 of 282
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member
    I keep reading from people posting here that "HTC made phones long before Apple" and using that as evidence that Apple can't sue for patent infringement.

This is pretty tortured logic here. By the same logic, RCA should be suing like crazy. I mean... they made radios long before Sirius. RCA should sue Teh Internets too. All those wacky patent infringing internet radio stations SURELY must be in violation of some RCA patent.

I popped a pimple once. It may or may not have been before Stridex. Maybe I should sue them?

I assume these folks believe we should live in a world of lowest common denominator, garbage, commodity "phones" that do nothing but make simple phone calls over copper wires?
  • Reply 25 of 282
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent.

That is not just ONE patent.
  • Reply 26 of 282
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:

This is stupid. HTC has been making phones since 2002. In fact I have their first ever Windows Smartphone the Orange SPV.

I wanto know exactly what it is they claim HTC is stealing from them. I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent. Seriously 20 things?

Take a look at the smart phones before iPhone. All had plastic keys. The UI sucked and did not flow well either. bla bla bla.

Quote:

We desperately need patent reform....

Totally. But live in the now. Look at Nokia suing Apple. What a crock. But its the way the world currently works. sorry.

Quote:

My opinion: Apple is just scared of the future of Android and WP7S. If they were confident about their product and their expansion possibilities they would not sue. .....

Now that is funny. I think its the other way around. Look at iPod, iTunes, iPhone, ..... each time Apple came up with a new product.... it took over the market. Period. iPod 100 million sold by 2007.... iTunes... 10 BILLION sold..... iPhone / touch 75 million sold.

Apple is the largest cell phone seller by profit in the world. Others sell more units... Apple makes more money..

So, take a breath, look objectively, and have a nice day.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 27 of 282
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:

We don't even know what patents HTC has supposedly infringed. But 20 infringements is a bit suspect.

If, as you correctly say, we don't know what patents HTC have infringed, how can you possibly say 20 infringements is in any way suspect? Have you checked a list of iPhone patents? Or are you just making stuff up to troll? Judging by your posts in this thread, I suspect the latter. And note how I based my judgment on available facts rather than pull it out of the air.
  • Reply 28 of 282
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Note that Apple did nothing against Palm, even though that was a similar situation. Apple *has* decided to go after HTC, though. Seems Apple has a strong position this time.
  • Reply 29 of 282
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is note just ONE patent.

Don't confuse him with facts.
  • Reply 31 of 282
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Its about freaking time to do something about this. The iPhones unique interface is starting to look generic with all these copies running around.
  • Reply 32 of 282
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It takes much effort to innovate. Many risks are taken. Money, time even relationships gambled.

When companies steal my ideas (which they have on numerous occasions) it's soul destroying, .

It would be so much easier for me to just steal other people ideas, but I do not find that a challenge, and yes IMO it's morally wrong.

I'm not arguing against all patents in general but just this case. Apple is large corporation and these are games. Apple has innovated and has taken ideas from others. This is a reality and Jobs himself admitted as much.

Right now, large companies seem to be able to patent anything. This is a major problem.

I feel bad for your situation but this is why the system needs major reform. Existing patents are stomped on and larger businesses always benefit.
  • Reply 33 of 282
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Well right off the bat, there's that name. It's starts with H, which is way too similar to i, and that creates confusion in the marketplace.

The suit is not over "confusion in the market place," but "architecture, hardware, and human interface" developed by Apple engineers.

Such inventions are protected by US patent law from theft. If HTC does in fact use some or all of the twenty inventions claimed, then they need to pay royalties, just as Apple, Microsoft, Motorola, and every other legitimate manufacturer does for the use of the inventions of others.
  • Reply 34 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

If, as you correctly say, we don't know what patents HTC have infringed, how can you possibly say 20 infringements is in any way suspect? Have you checked a list of iPhone patents? Or are you just making stuff up to troll? Judging by your posts in this thread, I suspect the latter. And note how I based my judgment on available facts rather than pull it out of the air.

Well the fact that HTC does not make Android or Windows Mobile? The fact that the only software they make is HTC Sense? So it would have to be HTC Sense related which is still suspect since most of the software is quite different to the iPhone and its not like Android itselt isn't also touch friendly, so why not also sue Google.

And if its hardware, then i'm having real difficulties. As most HTC hardware is quite different to the iPhone.

And how am I a troll? Is anyone who has a different opinion about a lawsuit a troll? Because I want patent reform and disagree with the Apple and Nokia lawsuits, I'm a troll. Though I will say I understand Nokia's suit now as they probably believed they would have been sued sooner or later and wanted to use their patents to create some sort of deal.

No, I'm a troll because I got to an Apple site when I own a Macbook Alu, Airport Extreme, iPhone, and Cube G4.

But I see the general trend is to do personal attacks when you disagree with someone on this site. And to have blind love for Apple and not actually think and discuss like adults. Not everything Apple does is perfect or 100% correct.
  • Reply 35 of 282
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Apple needs to protect the iPhone at all costs.
  • Reply 36 of 282
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I would say the entire concept of black background with all major functionality broken down into squarish icons representing "Apps" has been directly stolen from the iPhone by more than just HTC.

I'm glad Apple is doing this. The industry wide patent infringements are why we have no real competition (aka something clearly better than the iPhone/iTunes product), but rather vast me-too attempts that have barely gotten off the ground.

The iPhone is so freaking popular it drives not only its own sales, but sales from the copy cats who want to sell to the cheaper crowd.

Hopefully Apple can force the cost of ownership down in the future, and pave the way for more widespread iPhone adoption.

I don't really care if 40 million or 240 million people have iPhones, as long as other companies do the same kind of real work, research, and development that Apple does to drive competition (REAL competition) through the roof.

All we have seen to date is theft from Apple, and it has done NOTHING to spur Apple to make a better iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Note that Apple did nothing against Palm, even though that was a similar situation. Apple *has* decided to go after HTC, though. Seems Apple has a strong position this time.

Again highly suspect. Palm controls the whole experience, so it would be much more valid to go after them.

I am guessing that Apple has done research and sees that Palm has patents they care about but probably most of HTC's prior work was Windows Mobile and Microsoft probably owns those patents.

HTC could use that as a defence though, unless Apple has already cross licensed with Palm they could argue that they are selectively enforcing their patents.
  • Reply 38 of 282
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

This is stupid. HTC has been making phones since 2002. In fact I have their first ever Windows Smartphone the Orange SPV.

I wanto know exactly what it is they claim HTC is stealing from them. I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent. Seriously 20 things?

We desperately need patent reform. So much of the iPhone was taken from what HTC, Nokia has pionered. Yes, the iPhone was a million times more userfriendly but don't tell me the iPhone would have been possible even without the existance of Windows Mobile and the Orange SPV that broke ground in bringing smartphones to market.

My opinion: Apple is just scared of the future of Android and WP7S. If they were confident about their product and their expansion possibilities they would not sue. If the iPhone OS 4 was revolutionary (like the original iPhone) they wouldn't be scared.

Your opinion doesn't seem to be worth much. You're just making a lot of angry unsupported statements here and throwing in some guesses for good measure. It's much more likely the patents are related to concrete things like the multi-touch implementation.

Despite what you rave about above, multi-billion dollar corporations hardly ever engage in expensive lawsuits over emotional, high-school bitchy-ness. Mostly folks grow out of such things before they even get hired for the company, let alone end up running it.

Apple also was finally granted it's trademarks last week, which means that they have a lock on the "look" of the iPhone as well. I don't think they are HTC phones, but I've seen several handsets that look far too close to the iPhone to not be infringing on the trademark.
  • Reply 39 of 282
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    Hi, my name is Sue, how do you do!*

But seriously folks, I've been a Mac owner and lover since 1985 and am sick and tired of copycats. The thing that Apple has going for it is innovation, creativity, quality, and service. The copycats have, well they have copies of the real thing, complete with flaws, foibles, shoddy workmanship, and disservice to the creative process. Sue the bastards!, probably won't put the command line interface back on desktops all over the world again, but...

*(for you you youngsters out there, it's an old Johnny Cash song, well worth the listen)
  • Reply 40 of 282
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs: "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Here we go again...corporate warfare.