Apple sues HTC for alleged infringement of 20 iPhone patents

Comments

• Reply 41 of 282
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

Hi, my name is Sue, how do you do!*

But seriously folks, I've been a Mac owner and lover since 1985 and am sick and tired of copycats. The thing that Apple has going for it is innovation, creativity, quality, and service. The copycats have, well they have copies of the real thing, complete with flaws, foibles, shoddy workmanship, and disservice to the creative process. Sue the bastards!, probably won't put the command line interface back on desktops all over the world again, but...

*(for you you youngsters out there, it's an old Johnny Cash song, well worth the listen)

HTC is clearly walking the line here.
  • Reply 42 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is note just ONE patent.

Just curious, why do you always post from your Iphone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Note that Apple did nothing against Palm, even though that was a similar situation. Apple *has* decided to go after HTC, though. Seems Apple has a strong position this time.

No, Apple had a strong case against Palm, they just didn't see them as a real threat. Htc coupled with Android is a very real threat. It's on the table. And I agree with the above statements that the Implementation of multitouch to the N1 in addition to Sense UI probably tipped the scale.
  • Reply 43 of 282
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

We don't even know what patents HTC has supposedly infringed. But 20 infringements is a bit suspect. Even Multitouch is suspect since Apple didn't invent it, just bought a company who was working on an implementation meanwhile other companies like Microsoft Research were working on the same ideas (that became the Microsoft Surface).

Like you said and what the article said....Only apple and htc know the 20 infringements, so quit with the speculation and your conjecture until there is more information. And the surface..that is bulky hunk of wasted R&D it uses projectors... and the smallest form factor the technology and all that R&D money could produce was a TABLE...a huge freaking usable, non-portable table....GREAT EXAMPLE!

Quote:

And if it is all Google/Android related then sue Motorola (their Android devices have multitouch in Europe). Or see Google directly. Or sue Microsoft over the Zune HD.

Why sue microsoft they are no threat, their me too!® device is not lucrative...
  • Reply 44 of 282
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You also have to remember that Apple have been in the computer biz since day one. They pretty much invented the UI (albeit initially slightly pilfered), and a phone is just a small computer really.

Exactly. And people forget, (or don't even know), that Apple patents *everything* they do that they think might be patentable and wins most of those patents.

Check this site daily: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/

... and you will see how many patents Apple comes up with week to week.

Now multiply by 20 years.

Apple probably has one of the deepest, most significant, and widest ranging computer-related patent portfolio's in existence.
  • Reply 45 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Your opinion doesn't seem to be worth much. You're just making a lot of angry unsupported statements here and throwing in some guesses for good measure. It's much more likely the patents are related to concrete things like the multi-touch implementation.

Despite what you rave about above, multi-billion dollar corporations hardly ever engage in expensive lawsuits over emotional, high-school bitchy-ness. Mostly folks grow out of such things before they even get hired for the company, let alone end up running it.

Apple also was finally granted it's trademarks last week, which means that they have a lock on the "look" of the iPhone as well. I don't think they are HTC phones, but I've seen several handsets that look far too close to the iPhone to not be infringing on the trademark.

Well Nokia's lawsuit was dismissed extremely fast on here and mostly labeled as "high-school bitchy-ness".

Again, so there seems to be two standards at play here. And yes obviously this is an Apple fansite but that doesn't negate the fact that Nokia's lawsuit was dismissed despite the facts it also came from a multi-billion dollar company.

So which one is it?

Me, I have already stated that i am for patent reform. So my position is claer.
  • Reply 46 of 282
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Here we go!

"We've patented the hell out of this thing"

Finally! Apple wakes up and takes action.

Finally! Nokia wakes up and takes action.
  • Reply 47 of 282
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

This is stupid. HTC has been making phones since 2002. In fact I have their first ever Windows Smartphone the Orange SPV.

I wanto know exactly what it is they claim HTC is stealing from them. I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent. Seriously 20 things?

We desperately need patent reform. So much of the iPhone was taken from what HTC, Nokia has pionered. Yes, the iPhone was a million times more userfriendly but don't tell me the iPhone would have been possible even without the existance of Windows Mobile and the Orange SPV that broke ground in bringing smartphones to market.

My opinion: Apple is just scared of the future of Android and WP7S. If they were confident about their product and their expansion possibilities they would not sue. If the iPhone OS 4 was revolutionary (like the original iPhone) they wouldn't be scared.

I could be mistaken but I never saw any Multi-Touch Nokia, or any multi-touch phone, before the iPhone came out.

And I guess MS or Google have never sued anyone in regards to patent infringement?

I guess it just depends who you are, right?
  • Reply 48 of 282
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Down with HTC
  • Reply 49 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

No, Apple had a strong case against Palm, they just didn't see them as a real threat. Htc coupled with Android is a very real threat. It's on the table. And I agree with the above statements that the Implementation of multitouch to the N1 in addition to Sense UI probably tipped the scale.

Thank You. Exactly what I was saying that Android was a threat. Or atleast it is a viewed as one.

But, warning to Apple the fact that they are ignoring Palm (unless there is a hidden license agreement I don't know about ) could prove to be negative as HTC is like to say they are selecting enforcing their patents and such Apple could lose the case.
  • Reply 50 of 282
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    HTC has been making smartphones long before apple has. I wonder what it is they had to steal from them...
  • Reply 51 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Finally! Nokia wakes up and takes action.

Nokia wasn't the one who changed the mobile landscape in June 2007, with everyone releasing phones that looked and acted like Nokia phones shortly after.

Apple released the iPhone - really unlike anything else out there - and then suddenly we saw iPhone-like smartphones everywhere, many that were eerily similar, if not by all appearances visible copies. Something was definitely up. Seems a lot of the also-rans were looking to cash in on the iPhone-like smartphone craze before it hit the fan.
  • Reply 52 of 282
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple probably has one of the deepest, most significant, and widest ranging computer-related patent portfolio's in existence.

Cool aid alert, cool aid alert - warning, warning!

Quote:

No one beats IBM (IBM) on patents. For 17 years running, Big Blue has been granted more U.S. patents than any other applicant, raking in an *unprecedented 4,914 in 2009. That tally is more than the number of patents granted last year to Microsoft (MSFT), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Oracle (ORCL), Apple (AAPL), Accenture (ACN), and Google (GOOG) combined. IBM's worldwide portfolio now covers more than 40,000 inventions for everything from microprocessors for video games to the erasable read-write CD.

• Reply 53 of 282
    Quote:

in addition to Sense UI probably tipped the scale.

what about sense UI is a ripoff from Apple? The program launcher tab? You've GOT to be kidding me
  • Reply 54 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

HTC has been making smartphones long before apple has. I wonder what it is they had to steal from them...

It's a bit suspicious that after June 2007 all iPhone "competitors" began rolling out devices looking and acting like the iPhone. Some which were by all appearances visible copies. I guess they were all sitting on their game-changing patents and decided to implement them in 2015, except Apple managed to steal them earlier in 2007. LOL, right.
  • Reply 55 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

what about sense UI is a ripoff from Apple? The program launcher tab? You've GOT to be kidding me

no, I only meant the multitouch support
  • Reply 56 of 282
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I can 100% guarantee that Apple's patents have absolutely nothing to do with HTC's rendition of Windows Mobile.

How can you "guarantee" that?
  • Reply 57 of 282
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

no, I only meant the multitouch support

My guess would be the new "pinch-to-view-all-panels" feature Sense got. Maybe Apple was just about to use that in their latest version of the iPhone?
  • Reply 58 of 282
    The ?331 Patent, entitled "Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States," was duly and legally issued on April 22, 2008 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

The ?949 Patent, entitled "Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics," was duly and legally issued on January 20, 2009 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?949 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit B.

The ?849 Patent, entitled "Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image," was duly and legally issued on February 2, 2010 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?849 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit C.

The ?381 Patent, entitled "List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display," was duly and legally issued on December 23, 2008 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?381 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit D.

The ?726 Patent, entitled "System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device," was duly and legally issued on July 6, 1999 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?726 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit E.

The ?076 Patent, entitled "Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices," was duly and legally issued on December 15, 2009 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?076 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit F.

The ?105 Patent, entitled "GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality," was duly and legally issued on December 8, 1998 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?105 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit G.

The ?453 Patent, entitled "Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor," was duly and legally issued on June 3, 2008 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?453 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit H.

The ?599 Patent, entitled "Object-Oriented Graphic System," was duly and legally issued on October 3, 1995 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?599 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit I.

The ?354 Patent, entitled "Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods," was duly and legally issued on July 23, 2002 by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A copy of the ?354 Patent is attached hereto as Exhibit J.
  • Reply 59 of 282
    Quote:

It's a bit suspicious that after June 2007 all iPhone "competitors" began rolling out devices looking and acting like the iPhone. Some which were by all appearances visible copies. I guess they were all sitting on their game-changing patents and decided to implement them in 2015, except Apple managed to steal them earlier in 2007. LOL, right.

Released June 5th 2007:

What were you saying again? Oh right right, everything started to look like the iphone after it's release...

Only a fool would deny that Apple got companies off their ass and improve their products, but the same can be said about someone who thinks every product released afterward was only meant to emulate the iphone. The touch pro was a very good selling phone and other than touchscreen, it wasn't like the iphone at all.

So you mean companies can't make devices that are just touch screen? What is the matter with you? That's something people wanted long before iphone, so it was something HTC naturally would have evolved to on their own, iphone or not.
  • Reply 60 of 282
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Looks like the legal team has an idea for how to spend that $40 billion in cash!