Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

650K? That's it? For the whole world?

For now, the US is the world.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That seems low when you look at other iDevice sales, but the original iPhone sold 270k in the first weekend and 1.2M in the first full quarter, and that was a phone and iPod, which people generally consider to be requirements these days. I'd suspect that 650k tablets is more tablets than other single model has ever sold.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm sure he got the jist of my post. He is right...

I know, I was just being silly.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The very existence of AI is to run up the stock early for a quick profit before Apple officially releases products. The only reason to read AI is to get inside information. It certainly isn't to learn new things to chat with other members of the great Apple community. As demonstrated by the insults and bickering that go on endlessly here.

That's very cynical. It's also very wrong. Its not likely that articles that appear in AI have any affect on Apple's stock price.

In addition, all of these reports by analysts appear in many other places, including the business sites. Usually they appear here afterwards.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I know, I was just being silly.

But it's always good to have a post that rhymes with another.

Rumor, humor. Works for me.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I does, in an indirect way. Both the analysts and Apple fans such as ourselves are engaging in the same sort of tea leaf reading. For different reasons, maybe -- but the motive is nearly the same. We all want to know what Apple will do before they do it. The difference is that the analysts literally want their clients to "put stock" in the rumors. We can take them for what they are (if we choose).

Of course they do. But to think that a site like AI is part of the loop of stock purchasing in anything more than a very minor way would be stretching it. Forbes prints these statements all day long. I know, because I get a dozen e-mails from them about anything remotely affecting Apple every day. If people are going to pay attention, they will be getting those e-mails as well. They don't need AI for that.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:

The line form you must, Lukeskymac.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    So they are making 650k non-3g ipads to start with? Both my wife and I want one but not one without 3g and gps. I would be SHOCKED if they move 650 k of the base models in the first month especially since it's exclusive to the US for a bit
  • Reply 29 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

So they are making 650k non-3g ipads to start with? Both my wife and I want one but not one without 3g and gps. I would be SHOCKED if they move 650 k of the base models in the first month especially since it's exclusive to the US for a bit

Is it US exclusive for a time? I don't recall that being stated during the presentation. Was it in a follow up interview or press release?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Is it US exclusive for a time? I don't recall that being stated during the presentation. Was it in a follow up interview or press release?

I don't think it is, and I can't see any reason for it. He is probably confusing it with the 3G version, which may have a more limited launch as Apple has only negotiated special rates with AT&T thus far. I haven't seen anything suggesting a US only release for either model though, and I would be very disappointed as I do not live in the US.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Pump and dump. Or is this a case of dump then pump?

Talking about Misek and Canaccord... rather "dumb and dumber"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For now, the US is the world.

Who said so? All international Apple sites list exactly the same shipping dates (end of March, one month later for the 3G) as the US site. Jobs only said that international "data tariffs" might not be announced before June/July... as the device is not locked to a carrier, there is no dependence on special tariffs. Almost any GSM provider will do.

We have pre-ordered 150 iPads through our business rep and he said that sales in Europe will start at the same time as in the US. He is not allowed to tell us the date though...
  • Reply 32 of 48
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

That seems low when you look at other iDevice sales, but the original iPhone sold 270k in the first weekend and 1.2M in the first full quarter, and that was a phone and iPod, which people generally consider to be requirements these days. I'd suspect that 650k tablets is more tablets than other single model has ever sold.

That may be true, but even so, it was 270k on the first weekend. Plus consider the fact that many people didn't buy iPhones due to AT&T (a issue not present this time), and that it was USA-only. You aren't the only people in the world, did you know that ?

Yeah, it may be enough, but I'd bet we'll see stock shortages due to high demand for a while.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

As others mentioned, no. Hell, the fact that it is arriving here at Brazil at somewhat the same time you guys receive it in the USA is already out-of-this-world news. You can't possibly imagine how bad things are over here

The Brazilian iPad page (it took them less than a week to translate it this time, that is most unusual)

reads: http://www.apple.com/br/ipad

"Os modelos Wi-Fi estarão disponÃ*veis a partir do final de março.*

Os modelos 3G estarão disponÃ*veis a partir de abril.*"

"The Wi-fi models will be available in late March

The 3G models will be available in April"

Which is nearly exactly what's written on the US page.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But it's always good to have a post that rhymes with another.

Rumor, humor. Works for me.

Yeah - I admit it, I'm not very sophisticated\
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Good deal! It appears there will be enough for when I place an order.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I just sold my PowerBOok G4 on eBay with a bunch of software and peripherals for $750. Planned on buying a MBP a few years old. Got one for $800, realized it's software was awesome, relisted and sold the MBP for $1450.

Now I have enough to buy a new MBP after the refresh, whenever that finally comes.

In the meantime I am left waiting with no home computer. Nothing but this little iPhone. I thought I'd be suffering quite a lot, but it turns out that between my work computer and my iPhone I'm not doing too bad. In fact, I'm starting to get used to not having a home computer at all. The only real problem is that my eyes are getting a little twitchy from reading too much teeny tiny text at home.

So now I'm thinking that I might not need a computer at home at all. Maybe I'll just pick up an iPad for $500, snyc it to the work computer and be done with it. $900 saved, and no "Mac" of any kind in the home.

Is it the wave of the future??? It may be for me...
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Yeah, it may be enough, but I'd bet we'll see stock shortages due to high demand for a while.

Which never hurt in terms of marketing value (as long as the delay is palatable for the clamouring public). 670 000 worldwide will go "swoosh" before your eyes.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I just sold my PowerBOok G4 on eBay with a bunch of software and peripherals for $750. Planned on buying a MBP a few years old. Got one for $800, realized it's software was awesome, relisted and sold the MBP for $1450.

Now I have enough to buy a new MBP after the refresh, whenever that finally comes.

In the meantime I am left waiting with no home computer. Nothing but this little iPhone. I thought I'd be suffering quite a lot, but it turns out that between my work computer and my iPhone I'm not doing too bad. In fact, I'm starting to get used to not having a home computer at all. The only real problem is that my eyes are getting a little twitchy from reading too much teeny tiny text at home.

So now I'm thinking that I might not need a computer at home at all. Maybe I'll just pick up an iPad for $500, snyc it to the work computer and be done with it. $900 saved, and no "Mac" of any kind in the home.

Is it the wave of the future??? It may be for me...

There are going to be a lot of you. I wonder if it will be possible to have you have a basic setup like that with something like time capsule for data storage. Would you be able to have your iPhoto library and iTunes library on the TC and use your pad as a front end?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

The Brazilian iPad page (it took them less than a week to translate it this time, that is most unusual)

reads: http://www.apple.com/br/ipad

"Os modelos Wi-Fi estarão disponÃ*veis a partir do final de março.*

Os modelos 3G estarão disponÃ*veis a partir de abril.*"

"The Wi-fi models will be available in late March

The 3G models will be available in April"

Which is nearly exactly what's written on the US page.

Hello there fellow Brazilian! I hadn't noticed these dates. That's good news, and quite surprising indeed, if it turns out to be true. I'll be getting mine in Hong Kong, though, at a much lower price, and that's a fact.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Who said so? All international Apple sites list exactly the same shipping dates (end of March, one month later for the 3G) as the US site. Jobs only said that international "data tariffs" might not be announced before June/July... as the device is not locked to a carrier, there is no dependence on special tariffs. Almost any GSM provider will do.

We have pre-ordered 150 iPads through our business rep and he said that sales in Europe will start at the same time as in the US. He is not allowed to tell us the date though...

I stand corrected then.

What are the prices in Europe? Or elsewhere?