Suppliers deny iPad production issues, expect to ship 650K at launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I stand corrected then.

What are the prices in Europe? Or elsewhere?

We have not received final pricing and our prices might be irrelevant as we have some standing company discount. The only statement we received is that the price adjustment will be in line with the conversion rate for other products. If I take the entry-level model as an example, which is identically priced as the 2TB Time Capsule (both go for $499 in the US), then the price would be around 449 EUR (this is what the bigger TC is selling for over here). So, as usual, the price is a bit higher than a currency conversion plus VAT, but as almost everything here is more expensive and there is a mandatory 24 months implied warranty on all products, this is OK. The calculation is like: $499 + 19% VAT = $593.81 = 438.80 EUR, so there is a EUR 10 markup for currency fluctuation and implied warranty. That's pretty reasonable. As I said, they have not confirmed any prices, they only said it will be in line with what they do with other products.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Good news. I wanna get mine around May. I'll need to get me a new Mac first. I gave my MacBook to my sister and the G4 Cube I've got is running 10.4.11.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

If I take the entry-level model as an example, which is identically priced as the 2TB Time Capsule (both go for $499 in the US), then the price would be around 449 EUR (this is what the bigger TC is selling for over here). [...] The calculation is like: $499 + 19% VAT = $593.81 = 438.80 EUR, so there is a EUR 10 markup for currency fluctuation and implied warranty.

That isn't bad at all. There are import taxes, regulatory fees, and lack of economy of scale with the German over English printing and the Type-C over Type-A outlet plug. The last two aren't much, but they do need to be accounted for.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course they do. But to think that a site like AI is part of the loop of stock purchasing in anything more than a very minor way would be stretching it. Forbes prints these statements all day long. I know, because I get a dozen e-mails from them about anything remotely affecting Apple every day. If people are going to pay attention, they will be getting those e-mails as well. They don't need AI for that.

Sure. Anyone who is arguing that these rumors are being deliberately channeled through the Apple rumor sites, let alone for some particular nefarious purpose, is a bit deluded.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

We have not received final pricing and our prices might be irrelevant as we have some standing company discount. The only statement we received is that the price adjustment will be in line with the conversion rate for other products. If I take the entry-level model as an example, which is identically priced as the 2TB Time Capsule (both go for $499 in the US), then the price would be around 449 EUR (this is what the bigger TC is selling for over here). So, as usual, the price is a bit higher than a currency conversion plus VAT, but as almost everything here is more expensive and there is a mandatory 24 months implied warranty on all products, this is OK. The calculation is like: $499 + 19% VAT = $593.81 = 438.80 EUR, so there is a EUR 10 markup for currency fluctuation and implied warranty. That's pretty reasonable. As I said, they have not confirmed any prices, they only said it will be in line with what they do with other products.

Well, the fact that they have not announced any international pricing as of now surprises me, though, since Apple's US website has had that info prominently displayed since the day of announcement.

We shall see.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well, the fact that they have not announced any international pricing as of now surprises me, though, since Apple's US website has had that info prominently displayed since the day of announcement.

We shall see.

No idea if this is the case in all countries, but here are two possible explanations:

- Currencies were fluctuating quite a bit during the last two months (and especially since the situation about Greece popped up in the EU), they might simply want to wait until the last minute to pick the best (or most strategic) price point possible.

- In some countries there will be subsidized models sold through the telcos. They might want to hold the "full" price back until they have negotiated the best subsidies achievable.

I am confident that we will know the official prices soon.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Wait for the ZunePad people!
  • Reply 48 of 48
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Mods, why is this a sticky?