Transparent House creates "Anatomy of Apple Design" iPad tribute

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
San Francisco 3D design and visualization studio Transparent House has created a visualization entitled "Anatomy of Apple Design" as a tribute 34 years of Apple design, starting from the Apple I and leading up to the new iPad.

The studio used Autodesk 3ds Max and Chaos Group V-Ray to develop two minute video, which took around ten days to finish as a completely artificial but photorealistic rendering.

The video jumps from the 1976 Apple I to the original 1984 Macintosh, skipping the company's breadwinning Apple II series and its first significant flop, the Apple III.

It presents the 1989 Macintosh Portable, 1991 PowerBook, and 1993 Newton Message Pad, skipping generations of desktop Macs (including the iconic iMacs and the elegant but slow selling Cube) to highlight the clamshell 1999 iBook and white 2006 MacBook, but not the Titanium PowerBook nor other pro notebooks.

The visualization highlights the 2007 iPhone and the new iPad, but skips the iPod line and other current products such as Apple TV.

"We wanted to show the products in Apple history that in our opinion were best related to the nature of the iPad," the group explains on its Vimeo page. "There were also time limitations - we just couldn't get every product in." Direct link to YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    That's some pretty nice animation, and surely shows how popular the Mac/iPhone/iPad platforms are that a company would spend that much time to essentially advertise someone else's products. Not that they aren't making the case that they'd be a good design studio for someone who's looking for one.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Just a short trip down memory lane, but very entertaining, excellent detail.

Notice no ugly beige machines...would have been nice to see my old Mac II friend in fresh detail instead of covered in dust like it is now.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Oh, to see my beloved Apple machine from 1984 again. I can't tell you how well that computer got me through college.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We wanted to show the products in Apple history that in our opinion were best related to the nature of the iPad,"

Strange choice to omit the iPod, the device that got Apple into the compact consumer electronics market.

The original Macintosh will always be an industry design landmark. But the build-your-own Apple I... ???

Anyway it's still a great effort. How many spontaneous MS tributes have ever appeared?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Eeww. Some of the older designs (e.g., toilet seat Macbook) look sadly dated. Don't hold up well at all.

I wonder what we'll think of the iPhone/iPod/iPad design five years from now.........

PS: Also, a word to video camera people: You don't need to zoom and pan constantly. Very irritating on the eyes.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Eeww. Some of the older designs (e.g., toilet seat Macbook) look sadly dated. Don't hold up well at all.

I wonder what we'll think of the iPhone/iPod/iPad design five years from now.........

PS: Also, a word to video camera people: You don't need to zoom and pan constantly. Very irritating on the eyes.

I doubt the iPhone design can look dated. I mean, with the iPhone, Apple has taken minimalism to its extreme. Almost all design elements have been removed, leaving the screen (which is necessary) as the only part. I guess, in the future they can get rid of the home button, and the volume buttons, but that wont change it enough to make this design dated, IMO.

Regarding your PS, you missed the whole point of this video. Its not a video camera, but CGI, in that it is completely animated (based on images from the web....)
  • Reply 7 of 38
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

iloved its handle

i love lisa a lot

thou

but the 160 g classic is my favorite device all time

go apple
  • Reply 8 of 38
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

How many spontaneous MS tributes have ever appeared?

perhaps somebody would spend the time to produce a cgi tribute to computer operating system,s?, maybe word?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

How many spontaneous MS tributes have ever appeared?

Halo, maybe.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    This is good enough for a TV commercial. Apple should hire these guys for promos.

They are gooooooood!

• Reply 11 of 38
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    I have an Apple //e and a IIgs in storage that I need to get out and play with... And a Newton.

I'm surprised they skipped the Apple ][. That's the only glaring omission I can think of. It was a crucial step on the way to the Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Pretty sweet. If there is one thing that Apple has inarguably understood better than anyone it is industrial design. I sincerely believe that Jonathan Ive is as much responsible for Apple success as Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Nice 3D models but what's the point of it? Are they trying to get work with Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Exactly! What's the point of it?! A video showing old computers. Surely, that must be worthy of an AI article.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    bengt77bengt77 Posts: 46member
    Did you enjoy watching it? If so, then there's the point, period. This is just for entertainment. Just to show, once again, that Apple has this strange effect on people that makes them want to create spontaneous tributes.

Nothing more, nothing less. Isn't life grand?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    pretty cool...I used a classic way back when too and 'wowed' the executive staff with my weekly reports and letters! And to think they were all in black and white, too! Good Times!
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Strange though that they used Windows to create the animation, which was quite good anyway.

I especially like the shot of the first Apple logic board.

But I sure missed the other iBook iterations or even the iPod.

And the 20th Anniversary Mac of course.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Created on a Windows PC.

Well and once again no mention of Dieter Rams \
  • Reply 19 of 38
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Thus blandly making the point that all eCrap, regardless of manufacturer, has a projected lifespan which exceeds that of its packaging by approximately a minute.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    No... This is a tribute to Apple's iPad... a tribute that might be found on SNL! In case you haven't seen already, enjoy...

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/06/found...hello-to-epad/