Apple posts surprise ad for iPad during the Oscars

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple captured the attention of movie buffs and the entire film industry by publishing a new teaser commercial for the iPad during the Academy Awards presentation Sunday evening.

The new 30 second spot, backed by The Blue Van's catchy tune "There Goes My Love," races through a variety of iPad features.

It quickly demonstrates browsing through photo albums with finger gestures, then shows how to download ebooks from the new iBook Store and using the new full screen versions of Mobile Safari and Apple's Maps application based on Google's Map service (below).

It also highlights the expanded version of the iPhone OS' email app, iTunes media playback featuring the movie "Star Trek," and a subtle mention of page layout and word processing within Apple's multitouch version of iWork's Pages app.

The fast-paced new ad then flashes through a rapid sequence of other apps including Maps and iTunes album playback to finish with the iPad's April 3 launch date.

The ad is available on Apple's Web site, but has not yet been added to the company's YouTube channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Just happened to walk past the TV when this ad was showing. Good stuff. Let the blitz begin!
  • Reply 2 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The apps will make this thing great. The apps aren't here yet, so people can't see it--but in a years time this thing might well explode in popularity. It might take longer even, but the apps are the thing that will sell this device. That and we're just coming to a point in technology where the: "casual computer" needed to arrive.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,005member
    Fast paced indeed. Didn't they get in trouble for iPhone adds that speeded up the process? I saw the add twice, but forgot to look for a speeded up disclaimer...

Still, was effective. Looked like fun!
  • Reply 4 of 73
    In my not so humble opinion, the ad was Best Picture. Here's the ad...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/#hardware06
  • Reply 5 of 73
    gbreedgbreed Posts: 3member
    Apple has show new commercials at the Oscars for years
  • Reply 7 of 73
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Looks like the beleaguered Apple Corp has another fledging new prototype. Let the mainstream media crow on about today's and yesterday's fashions, and how this product is unlikely to succeed. Let the media doubt whether Apple can even continue, or whether it will collapse into fairy dust.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Extremely Meh!

(Funny how quickly the sped past the keyboard entry portion)[/CENTER]
  • Reply 9 of 73
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Too bad they aired a commercial during something most people aren't watching. That being said, sort of like the demand this device is actually going to have.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Too bad they aired a commercial during something most people aren't watching. That being said, sort of like the demand this device is actually going to have.

Most people aren't watching any given thing. So what was your point, exactly?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Most people aren't watching any given thing. So what was your point, exactly?

"Point, he don't need no stinkin' point!" (paraphrasing Blazing Saddles, which paraphrased Treasure of Sierra Madre"
  • Reply 12 of 73
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Extremely Meh!

(Funny how quickly the sped past the keyboard entry portion)[/CENTER]

Yeah, 'cause "typing" on a querty is such a interesting and unusual feature.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Looks like the beleaguered Apple Corp has another fledging new prototype. Let the mainstream media crow on about today's and yesterday's fashions, and how this product is unlikely to succeed. Let the media doubt whether Apple can even continue, or whether it will collapse into fairy dust.

It's Apple Inc., not Apple Corp.

See you at $275 per share.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
  • Reply 15 of 73
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member
    I noticed that in the email section the user opened multiple documents (emails to read) and they piled on the right. I hadn't seen that interface element before in mail. It's an implementation of a multiple open document interface. Clearly related to the piles of photos in the album views and I suspect that touching them pops them open to select one out of the set.

I think we'll see a lot of new interface elements as Apple works out how to do the tasks we expect to do on desktops but with a touch interface.

Next is a pile of apps in the dock which are the ones I'm using currently and want available for fast switching (and controlled, specialized multi-tasking).
  • Reply 16 of 73
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    This is what they meant when they said it would be Magic. It floats on your lap to provide a proper typing angle! Amazing...

• Reply 17 of 73
    I hope they've figured out the kinks on the large scale touch keyboard. I'd like to think that I'm used to the iPhone keyboard and I still find missed inputs and errors here and there.

When I saw Steve typing on the iPad keynote, he always did it fairly slowly and gingerly to make sure the keyboard kept up with his input. It also doesn't help that they suggested the physical keyboard attachment when featuring the iWork program.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Noisy, self involved, narcissistic, and just to precious for words.

And I don't like the iPad ad, either.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Noisy, self involved, narcissistic, and just to precious for words.

And I don't like the iPad ad, either.

Just like I want it.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    On the high quality video @ apple.com, look around second 4, in the middle of the top bezel.

We very clearly see a spot.

Can it be a camera ?

Some may think it is an ambient light sensor, but given the position in the exact center, i highly doubt it...

Let the mayem begin

Mac.

--

Help make the internet better, faster, broader and slave free :

Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (youtube.com/html5) and on vimeo click the "Switch to HTML5 player" link below any video.