Steve Ballmer praises Apple for creation of iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Keep your friends close... keep your enemies closer....

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wouldn't we all like to be the fly on the wall at a secret meeting of the two Steves?
  • Reply 43 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Look out Ballmer, you'll get burned!

• Reply 44 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A truism. The problem for Apple is, no matter which one they choose work with, they are cooperating with a competitor. Great care must be exercised.

But Apple could well be playing them off against each other, a smart strategy which could work to Apple's advantage.

Also known as "coopetition", or "frenemies".
  • Reply 45 of 87
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wouldn't we all like to be the fly on the wall at a secret meeting of the two Steves?

Only if Ballmer had no access to furniture or fly swatters....

But seriously, it brings to mind an afternoon long ago at Comdex in Las Vegas.

I was wandering in after a heavy night of negotiations at another hotel, when I spotted a very nice and very large limo hanging out in the loading dock area of one of the conventions sites.

As I got closer to the back of the limo, out stepped Bill Gates and none other than John Sculley. I said nothing and they said nothing, but they promptly climbed back into the limo. If I had a camera at that moment, I would probably be considerably richer today.

At the time of this Comdex, Gates and Sculley were supposedly hated enemies.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As I got closer to the back of the limo, out stepped Bill Gates and none other than John Sculley. I said nothing and they said nothing, but they promptly climbed back into the limo.

They probably just got back from a lemon party.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer recently had positive words about Apple's success with the iPhone and its App Store, adding fuel to rumors of a potential alignment between Apple and Microsoft to bring Bing search to the iPhone.

I think I am going to throw-up.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    All the Bing prospects make me nervous... The fact of the matter is that Google is massive... I don't know if Apple can afford to compleley cut them loose.... Bing on the phone would be bad for sure.... I can't stop wondering what they're going to do with maps.... Mapping is so vital now, is that small start up Apple bought already ready to replace Google? More than simply the Bing search engine, I wonder if Apple would switch to Microsoft maps on the iPhone. Microsoft is just so hated, none of this would be good...

Either way all questions should be answered soon right? I cheked Wikipedia, looks like iPhone OS 2, 3 went into beta testing by mid-March... Can any devs here speak to that? Were most features nailed down by the first beta? Here's hoping Apple has some great surprises up their sleeves....
  • Reply 49 of 87
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

I cheked Wikipedia, looks like iPhone OS 2, 3 went into beta testing by mid-March... Can any devs here speak to that? Were most features nailed down by the first beta?

In a word? No.

Provided of course that they intend to stay devs.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I can't believe so many people on the forums are in love with Bing now. Honestly I still love Google,

Google is evil. Google is trying to kill us.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

In a word? No.

Provided of course that they intend to stay devs.

I think the past iPhone OS releases are okay to talk about. As I recall, there was no major feature that hit the better after their mid-March announcement.

If they plan on following the same announcement time as last year they'll announce to the media this Thursday a Special Event for next Tuesday. Anyone think that will happen?
  • Reply 52 of 87
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So technically Microsoft is available on the iPhone by selecting Yahoo as the default search in settings.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

This is why Microsoft makes crap. "Insanely Great" isn't even marketing drivel to these buffoons. I bet the best iPhone app developers would say something more like "... to make good money doing really cool stuff!"

Gordon

Another gloriously amazing, magical best-ever-experience farting app?
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

All the Bing prospects make me nervous... The fact of the matter is that Google is massive... I don't know if Apple can afford to compleley cut them loose.... Bing on the phone would be bad for sure.... I can't stop wondering what they're going to do with maps.... Mapping is so vital now, is that small start up Apple bought already ready to replace Google? More than simply the Bing search engine, I wonder if Apple would switch to Microsoft maps on the iPhone. Microsoft is just so hated, none of this would be good...

Either way all questions should be answered soon right? I cheked Wikipedia, looks like iPhone OS 2, 3 went into beta testing by mid-March... Can any devs here speak to that? Were most features nailed down by the first beta? Here's hoping Apple has some great surprises up their sleeves....

Microsoft is hated... by who?

How many iPhone users are actually Windows users at the same time? I have no statistics, but judging by my own environment, quite a few; majority, easily. Most of them are completely indifferent towards Microsoft and Apple likewise. Some are Windows enthusiast and not overly fond of Apple, even if using iPhone.

I've yet to meet Mac user with iPhone; not too common here in New Zealand.

Think outside this forum. Not every computer user choose side and supports it heartedly. Majority will buy what they can afford, or what they were advised to get.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    I like all the fun of conspiracy theories, but I don't think there is any hidden agenda behind SB's words. It is not hard to observe that Apple's Store is successful model that will encourage developers to develop for the platform and boost platform's popularity in the process... well, short of Apple's censorship here and there, but that is obviously not making any significant impact - if any impact at all.

So good old SB sees good solution that is not copyrighted and is interested to apply it to his new babies. Big deal.

As long as conspiracy theory goes, since Android penetration isn't that strong, it might turn out that MS with WP7 will be stronger competitor than Google is. They will also have multiple brands behind their platform and, if Apple beats HTC regarding patents infringement (and maybe others to follow), some of those brands might end up Windows only; I think it is safe to say that WP7 looks significantly different to iPhone OS than Android, and at least some of infringement claims cannot be applied to it.

Additionally, there is a chance that MS Courier will see the light - according to this article, http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17838, device could come out Q3 or Q4 this year, will be based on Tegra 2 and WP7... which sounds about right. And again, Android tablets seem to be copying iPad with some extra features and potentially lower pricing, while MS is trying to accomplish different kind of experience. If they manage to do it right - yes, big if - whole WP7 platform with Zune HD, Zune Phone and Zune Booklet (Courier) could be as strong player as Android.

So what would actually be Apple's interest to cut ties with one, at least known, enemy-in-bed and jump into another bed where still unknown enemy lies..? Particularly that Google, no matter how big, still is freelancer, while MS is heavily involved with other enemies of Apple - PC manufacturers..?
  • Reply 56 of 87
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member

OK - let's get this out of the way. Microsoft and Apple have been partners and licensees of each other for some time. Don't let a Seattle Times hack get yerself all riled up.

This is all history here kids - really. It's been reported on frequently enough to give us a reasonable chance at foregoing all the usual diatribe about competition. What is really happening is a 3-way competition between Microsoft, Apple and Google in a couple of key areas, but for distinctly different reasons - also having been reported on previously.

Ginko Biloba is reported to have efficacious effects on short-term memory - try some today!
  • Reply 57 of 87
    You'll find it in the Android Market, Apple rejected it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Another gloriously amazing, magical best-ever-experience farting app?

• Reply 58 of 87
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    I prefer Google's results as opposed to Bing's. Bing has a much better looking front page and looks more updated than Google but it's the results that matter the most and Google has the win on that.

I will never forgive Microsoft for IE... I mean really, why does IE have to be the slowest with the most screen hog and not to mention bloaty browser on the market.

I do have to say that Bing is way better than Microsoft's previous attempts with search.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Apple was allied with Microsoft against IBM when the Mac was first introduced. That is partially why apps like Excel appeared first on the Mac. Before that Microsoft made the Basic interpreter for the Apple ][.

You missed the joke. Read more books.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    Dead people don't read advertising.

Enslave, yes, kill, no.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Google is evil. Google is trying to kill us.