Apple to accept U.S. iPad preorders starting at 8:30 a.m. Eastern

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    "The page you're looking for can't be found."

Clicking through a couple of times, it started to take me to the UK site.

• Reply 82 of 109
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I own iGenius a debt of gratitude for indirectly teaching me how to use the "ignore" feature.

Actually it's kind of sad that we are put in this situation. I have two on my list and wished that it wasn't necessary.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

My big question is, will there be Government/Education discounts?

Not that I've seen. I just ordered mine using an education account and it was the same price.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Also just realized something obvious, but awesome.

The iPad dock can be used with the other 30 pin iPad accessories. So the Camera connect kit could be plugged into your Dock.

Dock your iPad.

Pop out the SD from your camera.

Pop it into the back of the dock.

Hit Slideshow, or Unlock and Go to a Photo Editing App from the App store like Layers or PSMobile.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A credit check can ding your credit score? Have you seen that happening?

Don't confuse your credit rating with your credit score. Your credit score is a number that is equal parts voodoo and tea leave reading. If there are multiple inquires in a short period of time say from car financing companies then there is only a slight ding. But multiple inquiries over a longer period of time drop that score because it looks like you are adding debt. Paying off and closing a credit card can drop your score almost as much as carrying to high a balance on one of your cards. A mortgage company usually digs much deeper and will not necessarily even look at the score number, where a credit card will only look at the score to determine wether or not to give you credit, what interest rate etc.

The credit bureau's do not publicly divulge all the factors they use to determine the score. There are some interesting books on the subject.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Actually it's kind of sad that we are put in this situation. I have two on my list and wished that it wasn't necessary.

I have about 6 and while I wish it wasn't necessary either, I save myself a lot of headache every day from not having to read the same redundant, troll garbage that goes on here unmoderated.

iGenius remains the only person on my Ignore List who still posts every day, in every thread, with the same intentionally argumentative jargon. Without the Ignore List I wouldn't be able to read here.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Still wondering what all the "let us notify you" email stuff was about. I gave them my email address to be notified on two different accounts on three different occasions using links in Apple stores in two different countries. I'm also a .Mac/MobileMe member and receive multiple copies of all their email advertisements.

Yet they announced the launch date and didn't "notify" me, and now it's going on sale in a matter of hours and they didn't "notify" me. Apple is such a screw up company lately when it comes to public relations.

They notified me this morning at 9:37am ET. Only one hour past the official pre-order time.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

I have a friend who works in the industry. According to him, a credit check can ding your credit score (I forget the exact term that is used but there are two types of credit checks - one kind can ding, the other kind (such as used for credit card offers) does not). Also, closing a credit account can ding your credit score. And opening too many credit accounts within a short period can ding your credit score.

So bigdaddyp above referred to this as voodoo. I think that's the right term.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Not that I've seen. I just ordered mine using an education account and it was the same price.

Maybe Apple will offer it later--right now demand is expected to be high.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I'm sorry that you feel like a victim.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I have about 6 and while I wish it wasn't necessary either, I save myself a lot of headache every day from not having to read the same redundant, troll garbage that goes on here unmoderated.

iGenius remains the only person on my Ignore List who still posts every day, in every thread, with the same intentionally argumentative jargon. Without the Ignore List I wouldn't be able to read here.

Yeh, I know--still sad and makes you mad

But I have noticed that reading is so much faster using the ignore list. Only wish that the ignore list would include responses to the ignored.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There are certain kinds of checks that will affect a score. A credit check for a purchase is one of them.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Don't confuse your credit rating with your credit score. Your credit score is a number that is equal parts voodoo and tea leave reading. If there are multiple inquires in a short period of time say from car financing companies then there is only a slight ding. But multiple inquiries over a longer period of time drop that score because it looks like you are adding debt. Paying off and closing a credit card can drop your score almost as much as carrying to high a balance on one of your cards. A mortgage company usually digs much deeper and will not necessarily even look at the score number, where a credit card will only look at the score to determine wether or not to give you credit, what interest rate etc.

The credit bureau's do not publicly divulge all the factors they use to determine the score. There are some interesting books on the subject.

Good to know, though I don't make a habit of applying for credit of any kind. I've always saved up for cars and haven't had many cards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Has anyone else noticed the Silent/Ringer switch has been scrapped for a Screen Rotation Lock switch?

Can't say that I'm happy about that, at all. Why not make that a software setting? the iPad makes all the same sounds as the iPod Touch or iPhone, and I LIKE being able to Mute/UnMute all those sounds with one click on the side.

Poor decision in my view.

I can see both though. I don't like digging into menus to change settings like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

They notified me this morning at 9:37am ET. Only one hour past the official pre-order time.

Same here.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Just got an email letting me know that I can reserve one at the local Apple Store. I did that too. Should I cancel my pre-order? How certain is it that my iPad will be at the store? I'm feeling twitchy.

What's that noise on the porch?

...Is that FedEx...

Dash... It's gonna be a long three weeks.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    b realb real Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Just got an email letting me know that I can reserve one at the local Apple Store. I did that too. Should I cancel my pre-order? How certain is it that my iPad will be at the store? I'm feeling twitchy.

What's that noise on the porch?

...Is that FedEx...

Dash... It's gonna be a long three weeks.

I think I will buy two just to resell on eBay to fanboys. You guys are at least good for some cash!!
  • Reply 96 of 109
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b real View Post

I think I will buy two just to resell on eBay to fanboys. You guys are at least good for some cash!!

That worked well when the iphone first came out, limited supply and high demand created stupidly high prices on ebay.

I don't see why that would happen with the ipad. Maybe if you advertised it as "unlocked", people might bid over list.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    b realb real Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

That worked well when the iphone first came out, limited supply and high demand created stupidly high prices on ebay.

I don't see why that would happen with the ipad. Maybe if you advertised it as "unlocked", people might bid over list.

good advice... now I just need $1k.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    Quote:

Good to know, though I don't make a habit of applying for credit of any kind. I've always saved up for cars and haven't had many cards.

I can see both though. I don't like digging into menus to change settings like that.

You can see what? You think its better to be able to turn the accelerometer on and off quickly, or MUTE the device?

I don't see how that's much of a comparison.

Either way, Apple should copy SBSettings and create a popover accessible by touching the iPad logo in the upper left corner that gives you access to settings toggles.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I have a friend who works in the industry. According to him, a credit check can ding your credit score (I forget the exact term that is used but there are two types of credit checks - one kind can ding, the other kind (such as used for credit card offers) does not). Also, closing a credit account can ding your credit score. And opening too many credit accounts within a short period can ding your credit score.

So bigdaddyp above referred to this as voodoo. I think that's the right term.

I used to work as a Risk Analyst in the industry.

The number of recent credit inquiries are used by most financial institutions as a risk indicator. A single inquiry is of little note. Multiple in a short time represents credit seeking behavior. This is one of MANY factors in making a lending decision. (Total Open to Buy, Past Delinquency behavior, Debt to Income ratios, etc). One company doing one credit check on some random date is not a big deal.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

I reserved one at the store, then canceld my pre-order

I kept my order for the case and dock - just in case I don't feel like heading down to the Apple Store first thing and the accessories sell out.

Yeah, like I won't be there close to opening