Apple turns iPad mute button into screen rotation lock

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    I hope the next gen iPhone gets this as well.. It really is a pain to use the iPhone if you're reading in bed on your side, or in the car, or running.. It's always flipping when I don't want it to.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

So now I guess there is no way turn off sounds without lowering the volume? aka making the alarm clock useless

Since there is no clock app, this won't matter.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It'd be nicer if there were a push button that brought up a foldover mini settings screen that is usable from within apps, including functions like mute, aspect lock, connectivity (wi-fi, bluetooth and aeroplane mode), and maybe a couple others.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andypullen View Post

Since there is no clock app, this won't matter.

I am sure this one clock app in the 100,000+ that work with the iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Very useful feature. Mute is really only useful for phones since they have "vibrate" feature. On the iPad you can just turn the volume all the way down.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It'd be nicer if there were a push button that brought up a foldover mini settings screen that is usable from within apps, including functions like mute, aspect lock, connectivity (wi-fi, bluetooth and aeroplane mode), and maybe a couple others.

That would be great.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:

So now I guess there is no way turn off sounds without lowering the volume? aka making the alarm clock useless...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the alarms work on the iPod and iPhone even if the volume is turned down completely - could swear it does mine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Seems like a good thing to have - the lack of a rotation override is an infuriating omission on the iPhone.

not to discount your emotions, but "infuriating" seems a bit dramatic and an exageration. Annoying or frustrating, but to infuriate is to make extremely angry to the level of near or at violence. (sorry, just me nit-picking)
  • Reply 28 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

... What if are reading on your bed and want to turn on your side, what if you want to see a photo upside-down, etc etc.

Yes. This is the main reason.

The iPad is a couch device. It's not a coincidence that Steve Jobs demoed it while sitting on a couch. It's also aimed at low end users and lazier people to a certain extent. A lot of people will want to lay on the couch and read a magazine or a book and if they didn't have this switch, then the whole first week after the release would be filled with people commenting on how stupid Apple was for not having it.

It's a hardware switch because most people, especially those average non-geeky low end users that it's aimed at, never discover the settings application of want to dive in there and change anything. It's unreasonable to expect people to go into settings and change this back and forth all the time.

Think of all the so-called techies that post on this forum in the recent discussions about Bing, who were completely unaware that they could already change the default search provider, and that's right at the top of the first page of settings for Safari. Then think of your Mum using this thing and being annoyed at the rotation when she lies down on the couch or tries to read in bed.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I hope the next gen iPhone gets this as well.. It really is a pain to use the iPhone if you're reading in bed on your side, or in the car, or running.. It's always flipping when I don't want it to.

It's already here, there's a rotation lock as part of SBSettings. I've been using it to great effect for a long time now. I just wish you could specify on an app by app basis (EI mail should never rotate). Reading in bed on your side is a perfect example of why a rotation lock is very needed.

Sheldon
  • Reply 30 of 82
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    I don't own an iphone, so I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I would think you can set up custom profiles that assign any sound (or mute) to each and every notification type?

I think the rotation lock is a very useful feature (much more useful than mute).

All phones and PDAs I use are always set to either off (at night) or vibrate (during the day). I find it an annoying and unnecessary fact of life that there are still people who have audible rings going off all over the place.

I just ordered an iPad this morning, now the wait begins ...
  • Reply 31 of 82
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the alarms work on the iPod and iPhone even if the volume is turned down completely - could swear it does mine.

No, they do not. If your phone on silent, they come through anyway. If your "volume" is at zero, then no they don't

But, the point is moot because there is no Clock app, which I didn't realize before.

-----

A lot of people responding don't seem to get it at all. No, there is no Audio difference between the iPhone and iPad that justifies this decision. What about the iPod touch? Does it have a silent ringer switch, even though it has 3 less sounds than the iPhone? (sms, ringtone, voicemail) Yep.

I'm not saying this isn't a great new feature! Of course it is! We need it on the the iPhone as well.

But to replace the exterior mute button? Stupidity.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

not to discount your emotions, but "infuriating" seems a bit dramatic and an exageration. Annoying or frustrating, but to infuriate is to make extremely angry to the level of near or at violence. (sorry, just me nit-picking)

It does border on infuriating at times, especially when reading news whole lying down. Sometimes it even gets a bit of a spin going. Worse is when it then won't go back and gets stuck.

I seriously hope this becomes an option for the iPhone as well.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

It's already here, there's a rotation lock as part of SBSettings. I've been using it to great effect for a long time now. I just wish you could specify on an app by app basis (EI mail should never rotate). Reading in bed on your side is a perfect example of why a rotation lock is very needed.

Sheldon

Really?!?! Never knew this, finding it now.......
  • Reply 34 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiefMagua View Post

I like it. Kinda thin headline news isn't it though...?

It is thin, but it shows that Apple has continued to make improvements since the introduction.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

No, they do not. If your phone on silent, they come through anyway. If your "volume" is at zero, then no they don't

But, the point is moot because there is no Clock app, which I didn't realize before.

-----

A lot of people responding don't seem to get it at all. No, there is no Audio difference between the iPhone and iPad that justifies this decision. What about the iPod touch? Does it have a silent ringer switch, even though it has 3 less sounds than the iPhone? (sms, ringtone, voicemail) Yep.

I'm not saying this isn't a great new feature! Of course it is! We need it on the the iPhone as well.

I think it's a good place for it. It would be nice if apps would implement this themselves. Some do. Stanza should, but they don't as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    OMG why did they do this? I loved the iPad and was gonna get THREE but this is a total deal breaker!

OMG this is GREAT! Before this, I hated the iPad in every way imaginable... now I need THREE!

Just wanted to get both arguments out of the way...
  • Reply 37 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Very useful feature. Mute is really only useful for phones since they have "vibrate" feature. On the iPad you can just turn the volume all the way down.

This change so late in game makes me think reading in bed on your side wasn't even considered until someone at Apple actually tried this and realized it was an issue.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

-----

The iPod touch has it because the iPhone has it, not because the iPod touch needs it. A mute button is nice to have, but it is far from a requirement, and if I had to choose one on the iPad, I would take the screen orientation lock.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

OMG why did they do this? I loved the iPad and was gonna get THREE but this is a total deal breaker!

OMG this is GREAT! Before this, I hated the iPad in every way imaginable... now I need THREE!

Just wanted to get both arguments out of the way...

But: I'm only allowed to pre-order TWO, rats. Now I won't even get ONE - See, I showed YOU, Apple
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think it's a good place for it. It would be nice if apps would implement this themselves. Some do. Stanza should, but they don't as far as I can tell.

Yeah I suppose I'll get over it in an hour or so. It just might be little confusing at first. First they move the controls to the opposite side from the iPhone, then they change one of the buttons functions.

Maybe the'll change the volume up/down to turning 3G on/off, but only on those models, on the WiFI only it will be for giving positive or negative ratings to App store apps