Tight iPad supply has Apple turning down volume orders for businesses

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Seriously - is he banned?

Hmmm I know this is off topic but I have a formal request for the AI forums.

When iGenius gets banned instead of a static "Banned" under his name the word could instead be a link to the offending post or thread. Searching it out by hand is somewhat time consuming.

Thanks for your consideration!
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Well, I ordered one this morning ?32G, a case, wireless keyboard, and 6' power adapter for $802. I'm only one customer but I don't agree with your post.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be consumers that go ahead and pre order the only point I was making is I believe pre orders aren't going to be that much of an issue (Apple running out of supply) because many users will want to at least give the iPad a try before buying it.

If this was simply an update on an exsisting product that would be a different story but this is a new device.

I plan on getting an iPad I just want the chance to use one before I buy it to make sure it truly suits my needs. If you know without a doubt its what you want then by all means go for it.
  • Reply 43 of 80
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Hmmm I know this is quite off topic I have a formal request for the AI forums.

When iGenius gets banned instead of a static "Banned" under is name the word could instead be a link to the offending post or thread. Searching it out by hand is somewhat time consuming.

Thanks for your consideration!

I am sure at most he got banned for three days. The mods on this forum are extremely reasonable and I have yet to see them ever overreact. Seeing this is the first time he has been banned I would be shocked if it was for more then three days which is fairly commone for users that go off topic all the time.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

While it's sad it had to come to this -- since healthy debate is a very good thing -- this guy had to go because he added little or nothing, but constantly sucked out the oxygen from threads.

Thanks, mods. \

Sure that was oxygen?
  • Reply 46 of 80
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I am sure at most he got banned for three days. The mods on this forum are extremely reasonable and I have yet to see them ever overreact. Seeing this is the first time he has been banned I would be shocked if it was for more then three days which is fairly commone for users that go off topic all the time.

Is this three business days or just three days?
  • Reply 47 of 80
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I'd say the best way to sell something is to produce something people want at a price they deem reasonable for the product. It seems Apple has a winner on both of those fronts as tablets have been this popular before or priced so low.

2) I'm not sure how you can know there will be plenty of product. We've seen iPhone stock be in short supply, even months after launching. You can only make so many per day.

3) Why is not worth getting this year? Where will the worth be coming from?

4) Next year the new model will be Rev. 1 for it, too, with new HW that could be faulty. You take that risk with all CE, but at least with quality companies you have a method for getting them replaced or repaired under warranty.

1. It will be a 'hit' no doubt - but NEVER buy rev.1. Common Solipsism, you know that.

2. The iPhone was never in short supply up here in Vancouver. Can't speak for other area's, but it smells like marketing hype to me.

3. Next year there will be an established eco-system surrounding it. More services, faster hardware, a camera, more peripherals etc...

4. You got a point. But from experience, rev.2 has been more successful for Apple over the years.

Generally speaking, Rev.1 is for developers and nerds. Those who feel it's important to get a stake in a 'technological gold rush' so to speak. Or wealthy people who just want to be the first... who in turn cry to Apple and expect cheques when the price drops or technology improves on a 2nd gen.

I don't have time to fight shortcomings on rev.1 products. I think it's wiser to sit back for a short period of time and let the hardcore developers (1st line infantry) go in and set the stage. But thats just my opinion.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, it's also possible Apple could be limiting orders to create artificial demand, though there is no evidence to support this scenario.

There is no evidence yes but there's an entire literature outlining how artificially managing perceived stock levels is a way of stimulating additional demand. Apple read that chapter closely and use it daily to create the perception that fits their business.

As an example, all of the different phone companies near me that sell iPhone have a sign (a glossy one made by Apple) saying "limited stock" under the picture of the 3GS that's been widely available for 9 months now.

It's not just Apple, but Sony have done exactly the same thing for years with their suppliers playing down stock levels but always, somehow having just enough to meet demand. Most companies from boutiques to jewellers play this fun little game with us, and they think we don't know it.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

Let the tea-leaf reading begin!

If these reports turn out to be accurate, then I think the best strategy for those who want one right away might be to have it shipped rather than held for pickup.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

There is no evidence yes but there's an entire literature outlining how artificially managing perceived stock levels is a way of stimulating additional demand. Apple read that chapter closely and use it daily to create the perception that fits their business.

10 minutes before closing time the Apple store sells its last iPad. More arriving tomorrow.

Similar to JIT manufacturing process it is JIT sales process.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Believe me I'm not loosing a bit of sleep over his ban... I just wanted to see the post that went too far... Nothing like reading a good meltdown blow by blow.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

1. It will be a 'hit' no doubt - but NEVER buy rev.1. Common Solipsism, you know that.

2. The iPhone was never in short supply up here in Vancouver. Can't speak for other area's, but it smells like marketing hype to me.

3. Next year there will be an established eco-system surrounding it. More services, faster hardware, a camera, more peripherals etc...

4. You got a point. But from experience, rev.2 has been more successful for Apple over the years.

Generally speaking, Rev.1 is for developers and nerds. Those who feel it's important to get a stake in a 'technological gold rush' so to speak. Or wealthy people who just want to be the first... who in turn cry to Apple and expect cheques when the price drops or technology improves on a 2nd gen.

I don't have time to fight shortcomings on rev.1 products. I think it's wiser to sit back for a short period of time and let the hardcore developers (1st line infantry) go in and set the stage. But thats just my opinion.

In the iPhone gets a page each year showing which stores have which models in stock. It's at least updated daily.

Even month after the 3GS had launched Italy was still in short supply while the US seemed to be getting enough supply to satisfy it. Considering it's the largest buyer of iPhones they were not evenly distributing shipments.

In general the next product will always be faster and have more for the same price or lower. There are always things to watch out for. Take the last round of MBPs that dropped the 3GBps SATA II for a 1.5Gbps controller that doesn't play nice with 3rd-party drives. Apple did a firmware update to 3Gbps but it still doesn't play nice with other drives. A new product like the iPad or a new case design like with the MB which pretty much has the well worn MBP innards is *new* and *old*.

With any CE I suggest waiting to see how it fairs with tests and reviews to see if meets your standards, but waiting a year for a product that has a new logic board and many other new features in the same casing isn't exactly a good idea, IMO.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The iPhone was never in short supply up here in Vancouver. Can't speak for other area's, but it smells like marketing hype to me.

The iPhone was in incredibly short supply in the States in the weeks after it first shipped. Remember when Apple put that real-time store tracker on their site, so you could see which models were currently in stock at which retail stores? For days on end, whole chunks of the country were just totally sold out.

I doubt the iPad demand will be anywhere near that level, but it's not inconceivable that supplies will be constrained.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    To those that think Apple is artificially limiting supply to create demand. Note that if there is already demand all you end up doing is hurting your sales, the only thing a company cares about. It makes no sense to suggest that they delayed the shipment date and limited the number you could buy to make more money. It's irrational.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

10 minutes before closing time the Apple store sells its last iPad. More arriving tomorrow.

Similar to JIT manufacturing process it is JIT sales process.

Haha... yes exactly. And as to JIT - you're spot on. Originating from manufacturing but now completely the same approach in sales process.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

To those that think Apple is artificially limiting supply to create demand. Note that if there is already demand all you end up doing is hurting your sales, the only thing a company cares about. It makes no sense to suggest that they delayed the shipment date and limited the number you could buy to make more money. It's irrational.

Of course, but conspiracy theories are so emotionally satisfying!
  • Reply 57 of 80
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

While it's sad it had to come to this -- since healthy debate is a very good thing -- this guy had to go because he added little or nothing, but constantly sucked out the oxygen from threads.

Thanks, mods. \

Totally agree. Thanks mods. You can put someone on an ignore list, but their posts are commonly quoted and hashed about. And as you aptly say, it sucks the oxygen out of the conversations.

This said, can a moderator comment as to the reason for the ban? We may have been hoping for this for quite some time, but I didn't see anything that I would have expected to be a "last straw" post. Was it just a slow build-up until you couldn't stand it any longer?

Also, speaking of iGenius' employment status, take a quick peek at his list of posts (http://forums.appleinsider.com/searc...d=331580&pp=25). He woke up early this morning and was posting continuously from 4:30am until 10:12am, a total of 48 posts! That's an awful lot of negativity for one person! Unless he is employed to troll, which is a bit of a stretch, but come on...
  • Reply 58 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Yes - holding back when there is a big demand makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It won't matter for a while. iGenius has been banned.

Best news I've read here in weeks. Thank you mods!
  • Reply 60 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Well the Apple store isn't exactly crashing like some predicted. I don't believe pre orders are going to be all that high, I think people are going to want to see this device first before buying one.

This is certainly true for many of us. In some ways iPad disappoints but what will keep me away for awhile is the lack of solid info on the device and first hand usage experience. In other words I want to get my hands on one for a test drive.

The lack of info is another issue altogether. Here my concerns are with the unpublished info, such as RAM size and A4 specifics. The allocation of RAM is especially important because it will functionally limit apps and the potential for multi tasking. At a minimum I'm hoping for 512 Meg but 1GB would be better. Hopefully the beans will soon be spilled here because to little RAM would be a crying shame. A4 is more of a curiosity than anything but even here understanding exactly what you are getting can go a long ways to defining just what software will run on iPad.

Quote:

Even at the lowest cost of 500.00 with a few small accessories going to bring this to 600.00 with tax. In this economy large groups of consumers aren't going to give out a min of 600.00 without at least giving this device a try or waiting until some real consumer reviews come along.

Being a careful and conservative shopper has nothing to do with the economy. Besides the economy isn't that bad. What is bad is people thinking it is so bad that a $500 purchase is out of the question. Think like that just creates a downward economic spiral.

Quote:

The lowest 3G model someone is looking at close to 700.00 before they get out the door.

$630 plus tax if you pay tax. That is shaving things a bit close of course but it is basically chump change. The bad part is that the low end model is an incredibly bad deal in my mind. The reason for that is that apps will be even more useful on iPad so a greater portion of your Flash space will go to filing those apps. This will of course lead to far less room for media.

Interestingly though the low end model can and likely will be popular with businesses. No 3G and enough flash for core business uses will be compelling.

As you can see I'm conflicted here, but i really have this fear that this is a very Rev A version of the iPad. Admittedly it has it's appeal but it the lingering thought that there might good reason to hold off is there.

Dave