Tight iPad supply has Apple turning down volume orders for businesses

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well the Apple store isn't exactly crashing like some predicted. I don't believe pre orders are going to be all that high, I think people are going to want to see this device first before buying one.

Even at the lowest cost of 500.00 with a few small accessories going to bring this to 600.00 with tax. In this economy large groups of consumers aren't going to give out a min of 600.00 without at least giving this device a try or waiting until some real consumer reviews come along. The lowest 3G model someone is looking at close to 700.00 before they get out the door.

Looks like you goofed again.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Hmmm I know this is off topic but I have a formal request for the AI forums.

When iGenius gets banned instead of a static "Banned" under his name the word could instead be a link to the offending post or thread. Searching it out by hand is somewhat time consuming.

Thanks for your consideration!

Why do you need to see it? I'd like to leave it a little uncertain, and leave it up to the discretion of the folks who own, run, and moderate this site. Sort of, like, the Fed and the way it conducts monetary policy....... can't reveal everything, y'know......
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:

Believe me I'm not loosing a bit of sleep over his ban... I just wanted to see the post that went too far... Nothing like reading a good meltdown blow by blow.

Otoh.... yes, there is that rubbernecking aspect of this that is inviting.... you're right....
  • Reply 64 of 80
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Bought mine ... err, reserved the company the 16GB WiFi one for development.

Sure, I have to drive across the US border to pick it up, but then I'll have it for myself for the April 3rd weekend before having to relinquish it to the other developers Monday morning. Three weeks or so later, when I'm sure my "since 1978-techno-Apple-lust" will be even stronger, I'll run down to YYZ and pick up my own 64GB.

Best of both worlds.

PS. There was no problem using my usual Canadian AppleID to reserve one, and my confirmation email came within minutes. I know I couldn't buy one online right now though via the US Store as a Canuck.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Hotcakes
  • Reply 66 of 80
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Believe me I'm not loosing a bit of sleep over his ban... I just wanted to see the post that went too far... Nothing like reading a good meltdown blow by blow.

I don't think it was over a single post. If your posts prevent any meaningful conversation from happening in virtually all threads you post in, you are acting in a manner that is disruptive to the forum community and the mods have to do something about it. Even if you are "playing by the rules".
  • Reply 67 of 80
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    So, if they have only 200,000 and they're going at a rate of 25,000 per hour, then they should be sold out ... right about ... now.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I don't think it was over a single post. If your posts prevent any meaningful conversation from happening in virtually all threads you post in, you are acting in a manner that is disruptive to the forum community and the mods have to do something about it. Even if you are "playing by the rules".

It cracks me up that even though he's banned, we're still kinda talking about him.

Now, to go preorder my iPad.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You can throttle user posts in VB. The mods maybe should have tried that first. Unless the post that got him banned was deleted and we don't know what was the last straw.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    mrjescmrjesc Posts: 12member
    I just wonder how long the lines are going to be at the Apple stores in major cities? (For people that reserved the iPad) If they have the line outside, I pray for good weather.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Another insanely great idea by Jobs and company that prevents Apple from moving into the business sector.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrJesC View Post

I just wonder how long the lines are going to be at the Apple stores in major cities? (For people that reserved the iPad) If they have the line outside, I pray for good weather.

im going to pick mine up at an apple store inside a Mall.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can throttle user posts in VB. The mods maybe should have tried that first. Unless the post that got him banned was deleted and we don't know what was the last straw.

I have zero sympathy for iGenius. I assume you mean there's a way to cap the rate at which he posts at, maybe they should have tried that, but I'm fine with them temp banning (I'm assuming it is temporary) someone as disruptive as him. If he did post something really offensive I'd expect it to be removed and us not see it.

Forum use is a privilege, not a right and quite honestly the mods don't need any reason at all to prevent you from posting. Although I doubt many people would participate in an environment where people were banned based on the whims of a moderator.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It cracks me up that even though he's banned, we're still kinda talking about him.

Now, to go preorder my iPad.

Yeah, just further proof of how disruptive he was. Quite the successful troll. I'm done talking about it now though.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

The iPhone was in incredibly short supply in the States in the weeks after it first shipped. Remember when Apple put that real-time store tracker on their site, so you could see which models were currently in stock at which retail stores? For days on end, whole chunks of the country were just totally sold out.

I doubt the iPad demand will be anywhere near that level, but it's not inconceivable that supplies will be constrained.

Interesting.

Remember that Canada didn't have the iPhone until a year or so after it was released. Wonder if the iTab will be the same way with the 3G model?
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Interesting.

Remember that Canada didn't have the iPhone until a year or so after it was released. Wonder if the iTab will be the same way with the 3G model?

Apple is saying all models will be available in late April, so that shouldn't be the case.

Quote:

In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

• Reply 76 of 80
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I realize continuing to talk about it only feeds him/her, but I just want to point out the major hijack of the thread where he continued to talk about the relative numbers of iPhone sold, stagnation, Google surge, blah, blah, blah.

It was quite annoying to have people feed him/her and join in, post after post and detract away from the actual thread. We gotta be better disciplined when it comes to posters such as this.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I realize continuing to talk about it only feeds him/her, but I just want to point out the major hijack of the thread where he continued to talk about the relative numbers of iPhone sold, stagnation, Google surge, blah, blah, blah.

It was quite annoying to have people feed him/her and join in, post after post and detract away from the actual thread. We gotta be better disciplined when it comes to posters such as this.

Hey, I admit I got sucked in yesterday (or the day before) into the whole 4:3 argument and the stagnation argument. Sometimes, you just can't help yourself even though you know you should just ignore the offender. Initially anyway, it seemed like a decent debate but spiraled out of control pretty quickly. You're absolutely right, we have to be better disciplined to avoid such situations. Resist the knee-jerk rubber-neck response.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Otoh.... yes, there is that rubbernecking aspect of this that is inviting.... you're right....

Yep... it's wrong and nobody should do it yet each and every time there's and accident on one side of the highway the unaffected side slows to crawl. Or you can compare it to those shows where people are videotaped doing some crazy stunt that ends up really hurting them.. You know you shouldn't be watching this as form of entertainment and yet those shows have a big following...
  • Reply 79 of 80
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonBee View Post

SNIP

Why don't we do one of those flash mob things and go bombard a carefully chosen windows forum that talks up windows products? It would be fun and interesting.

cos we got better things to do. that's why.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Business customers who preorder the iPad are also limited to two per person, suggesting Apple is facing a tight supply for the coming April 3 launch date.

Apple sales representatives confirmed Friday morning that initial orders for both businesses and consumers are limited to two per person. The company has begun accepting preorders for the hardware's debut, just over three weeks away.

In addition, AppleInsider has received word that the number of iPads shipped to each retail store location will be based solely on the number reserved for pickup at that store. In other words, fewer in-store reservations will mean a lighter stock of hardware.

People familiar with the matter said store employees have been told to encourage customers to preorder to ensure that their retail location will receive a higher number of iPads for the April 3 launch. Allegedly there will be enough stock at each store to fulfill preorders, but if a store doesn't have a large number of devices reserved, there will not be many left over for those who did not preorder.

These details suggest Apple is facing a tight supply prior to the April 3 launch of the iPad. However, it's also possible Apple could be limiting orders to create artificial demand, though there is no evidence to support this scenario.

Weeks ago, a handful of reports of manufacturing constraints suggested initial supply of the iPad could be limited. Analyst Peter misek with Canaccord Adams said checks with overseas suppliers suggested an "unspecified production problem" had led to a "manufacturing bottleneck," potentially limiting the number of devices available at launch to 300,000.

Another report, from analyst Vijay Rakesh of Think Equity, said that initial shipment could be even lower, around 200,000, due to "minor delays" in production. His checks with suppliers said any delays were only expected to be temporary, and were not related to the device's glass screen, or any issues in the manufacturing process.

A third report alleged that suppliers have had no issues in the manufacturing of the iPad, and expect Apple to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 devices at launch. That report claimed Apple would have the capacity to ship another 1 million iPads by the end of April.

Though the Wi-Fi-only iPad debuts in the U.S. on April 3, the product will not be available in other countries until later that month. In addition, the 3G-capable model will launch stateside in late April.

Analysts on Wall Street have high hopes for the iPad, which they expect to be a multi-million seller in its first year. Predictions for the device range from as low as 1 million first-year shipments to as high as 7 million.

Seriously do not think this is true. If CNN, Fox, or Hospital calls in and wants 500 units they will get it. They did with the iphone and the iphone was limited to 2 per customer. Apple Has Enterprise Sales just for this and dedicated Business sales reps. Yes the pre-order at the retail store/online consumer store is 2 units.