Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price.

I am too. Eizo doesn't have a 27" model, but their 30" 2.5K monitor retails for (cough) $4,300. Even their lower-end Flexscan comes in at over $2,500. Believe it or not, the 30" Apple display is among the least expensive — not the very least, but among the least — 2.5K monitors available. It's really hard to see just where a 27" 2.5K monitor could fit in the product line.

Personally, I'd rather Apple get out of the monitor business entirely …*except I really love their industrial design. I'm torn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I was really disappointed to see them turn away from the IMO more natural 16:10 towards 16:9 just because of sales or industry pressure or whatever.

I don't know about "more natural," but the advantage of 16:10 at HD resolution is that you can see an entire HD frame at 1:1 with just enough room left over for on-screen controls. That's less of a factor at 2.5K resolution. If you're working in HD resolution, you've got tons of space left over on a 16:9 2.5K screen. Even if you're working in 2K resolution at 1.85:1 (which is 2048x1107), you've still got plenty of room for on-screen UI.

It's worth remembering, though, that Apple doesn't manufacture LCD panels. They just buy the parts. If 16:9 panels are available, Apple can choose to use them instead of 16:10 panels.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    No word on LightPeak? Too bad.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Quote:

I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price. With the cheapest 27" iMac rolling in at $1699, they're going to obviously have to have a decent gap from just a monitor. The problem is, the 24" is currently $899... so what can they realistically price the 27" at, assuming they don't drop the price of the 24". $1199? So basically they're saying the rest of the iMac is only worth $500? Will be very interesting...

Great point. What they price it at will be key. I was thinking of getting the 24, but now I will hold off for either a price drop and to see what the new 27" have to offer.

It could be a choice of dual 24s or one 27.

I still think 899 for that monitor is a high price PLUS I would have to buy a new video card with mini DisplayPort.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    my guess:

27" / $999 USD

24" / $799 USD

it's nice to hear about apple [formerly apple computer] updating their computers.

i like phones and pads and pods, but i can't do my day-to-day graphic design work on my iphone.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

I am too. Eizo doesn't have a 27" model, but their 30" 2.5K monitor retails for (cough) $4,300. Even their lower-end Flexscan comes in at over $2,500. Believe it or not, the 30" Apple display is among the least expensive ? not the very least, but among the least ? 2.5K monitors available. It's really hard to see just where a 27" 2.5K monitor could fit in the product line.

Personally, I'd rather Apple get out of the monitor business entirely ?*except I really love their industrial design. I'm torn.

forgive me, not very knowledgeable on the nitty-gritty..."2.5K" monitor? What's that? My expectation is it's going to be the same screen from the 27"imac. If that's the case, Dell sells it already for $1099 (albeit in a matte version). Now we all know there's no way apple is going to be the same or less than something Dell sells, so we're talking >$1099. But it can't be too much more...or people would just buy the 27" iMac as a monitor solution.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Quote:

forgive me, not very knowledgeable on the nitty-gritty..."2.5K" monitor? What's that?

Sorry, that's industry jargon. When folks in film and television post say "2.5K," they're referring to a raster that's 2,560 pixels across. See, 2K is 2,048 pixels, so 2.5K means 2,048+512, or 2,560. The 30" displays from companies like Apple and Eizo and Lacie and whomever are all 2.5K 16:10 displays: 2,560x1,600. A 2.5K 16:9 display would be 2,560x1,440, which is what's being talked about here.

There's a serious demand in the market right now for 10-bit displays, but as far as I know only HP makes one, and it's 16:10 HD. It'd be really cool if Apple leapfrogged the industry and shipped a line of 10-bit professional displays. Right now, the only competitive advantage Apple has for its displays is industrial design. And while that's really great, it's not enough.

Trouble is, I'm not sure Apple could ship a 10-bit display, even if the parts to build one were readily available, without extensive involvement from the graphics board people. It's all very complicated, now that the systems, the OS, the graphics boards and the actual displays themselves are all made by different people.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Sorry, that's industry jargon. When folks in film and television post say "2.5K," they're referring to a raster that's 2,560 pixels across. See, 2K is 2,048 pixels, so 2.5K means 2,048+512, or 2,560. The 30" displays from companies like Apple and Eizo and Lacie and whomever are all 2.5K 16:10 displays: 2,560x1,600. A 2.5K 16:9 display would be 2,560x1440, which is what's being talked about here.

There's a serious demand in the market right now for 10-bit displays, but as far as I know only HP makes one, and it's 16:10 HD. It'd be really cool if Apple leapfrogged the industry and shipped a line of 10-bit professional displays. Right now, the only competitive advantage Apple has for its displays is industrial design. And while that's really great, it's not enough.

Trouble is, I'm not sure Apple could ship a 10-bit display, even if the parts to build one were readily available, without extensive involvement from the graphics board people. It's all very complicated, now that the systems, the OS, the graphics boards and the actual displays themselves are all made by different people.

ah gotcha, learned something new today Thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    That's all fine, but where's the 30' LED model? I've been waiting for years for this one.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    27'' is the new 30'' going for 16:9 instead of 16:10. 30'' cinema display is 2560x1600, the 27'' iMac is 2560x1440
  • Reply 30 of 114
    The only thing that made me go 'hmm' was the June release date.

Here is the Apple release calendar as far as I can see:

March--almost over

April--iPad. I doubt we'll see any other releases stomping on the iPad story/bandwagon.

May--??

June--iPhone v. 4???

So I wonder if Apple PR will have a major refresh of the MBP and MP that will stomp on either the iPhone story or the iPad story? It would seem they would want the introduction of a major new product to have it's own story cycle instead of taking away column inches from some other Mac press release in the tech and trade media.

July is a bit far off. The pro users are already getting a little uppity. March seemed to make sense, but as every Tuesday has come and gone (usually the release date for Apple products) I've started to wonder more and more.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, Apple held out at 16:10 for so long too.

I was really disappointed to see them turn away from the IMO more natural 16:10 towards 16:9 just because of sales or industry pressure or whatever.

I heard somewhere that 16x9 was becoming more common than 16x10 because more 16x9 panels can be cut from one sheet with less waste and more cost savings than 16x10 or something like that. Anyone know anything about that?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Will the 27" display's case be a wonderful shade of yellow? You know, to fit with the screen.

Yep, the "yellow tinge'ers" over at Apple discussions are a quite an obsessive/compulsive lot. Oh, and they're nutty crazy too. I've never seen such a bunch of wankers.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post

The only thing that made me go 'hmm' was the June release date.

Here is the Apple release calendar as far as I can see:

March--almost over

April--iPad. I doubt we'll see any other releases stomping on the iPad story/bandwagon.

May--??

June--iPhone v. 4???

So I wonder if Apple PR will have a major refresh of the MBP and MP that will stomp on either the iPhone story or the iPad story? It would seem they would want the introduction of a major new product to have it's own story cycle instead of taking away column inches from some other Mac press release in the tech and trade media.

July is a bit far off. The pro users are already getting a little uppity. March seemed to make sense, but as every Tuesday has come and gone (usually the release date for Apple products) I've started to wonder more and more.

Welcome to the forum.

With this longer than average time it makes me think there are major changes coming that warrant a special event for the next Macs. Hopefully that is the case.

The longer time between the iPhone v4.0 special event the longer it will be before the next iPhone is released, unless Apple plans to just offer it up with v3.x with v4.0 coming later. That is possible. I think we need at least 2 months of the v4.0 SDK and iPhone OS for 3rd-party apps changes and overall bug fixing of the OS.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Any word on any changes to the Mac Pro case design?

I doubt it.

Its a great case design. Its been tweaked a bit since I had my original dual G5.

And Apple just does not sell a ton of these things anyways.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Herbie49 View Post

That's all fine, but where's the 30' LED model? I've been waiting for years for this one.

30'? wow. that's a big-ass monitor. i want one.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    A 27" iMac driving two other 27" displays? Yum!
  • Reply 37 of 114
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    Well if they have fixed the issue with the yellow tinge on 27" displays can someone explain why my 3rd 27" iMac replacement that was delivered yesterday straight from the Shanghai factory still has the problem.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

27'' is the new 30'' going for 16:9 instead of 16:10. 30'' cinema display is 2560x1600, the 27'' iMac is 2560x1440

30" = overkill. Who's gonna buy those?

30" ACD. That's quite a pricetag.

Walk into any Best Buy. You're lucky if you see 27-inch displays. 9 times out of 10 the largest you'll see is 24-inches.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I hope a matte version of the new display will be available. Glossy isn't an option for me...
  • Reply 40 of 114
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    All that processing power would be great for video editing... if only they would offer Blu-Ray on it.