Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post

If you don't want to spend a fortune, like something that looks a bit more subdued and is prepared for silence out the box then the Fractal Design R2 might be the one: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...gory=2&prod=33

Nice case. Looks like no resellers in the US though.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I'm in the same position. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are just too expensive for my needs, especially considering I don't need workstation-class hardware.

It's worse (for apple) than that:

I have in excess of 10k free cash to spend this spring due to an exceptional yearly bonus. My wife has a couple of grand that she set aside for a new mac as well. We have the money, we're willing to spend it, to spend it on apple's most expensive hardware and to pay in cash.

However, we're not going to spend all that money on last year's model at last year's prices.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    skivesskives Posts: 50member
    I am ready for the MBP updates already
  • Reply 104 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phookade View Post

It's worse (for apple) than that:

I have in excess of 10k free cash to spend this spring due to an exceptional yearly bonus. My wife has a couple of grand that she set aside for a new mac as well. We have the money, we're willing to spend it, to spend it on apple's most expensive hardware and to pay in cash.

However, we're not going to spend all that money on last year's model at last year's prices.

I've been waiting since FALSE rumor of March 18th release came out. I wonder if this rumor still holds water. I can find no mention of the Mac Pro update anywhere. It seems that there is little interest in a new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 105 of 114
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    I think "dual hexa-core" sounds better than dodeca-core.
  • Reply 106 of 114
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What i would like to see is a new apple tv with iphone os4 and full HD playback

So, netflix, hulu, abc, web browsing, news ipad apps, games,....

Now that would be interesting

And to top it off, ipodtouch or iphone or ipad used has multi-touch remotes to drive the apps on the tv or play games. That would blow logitech harmony remotes out of the water
  • Reply 107 of 114
    So some of you say 30 is overkill... for somethings, sure. But why is Apple upgrading the size of the 24" to 27" and not upgrading the 30" at all? or are they? 32" at 16:9 3k? crazy, but that would be awesome.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    boomerhboomerh Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applergeek View Post

So some of you say 30 is overkill... for somethings, sure. But why is Apple upgrading the size of the 24" to 27" and not upgrading the 30" at all? or are they? 32" at 16:9 3k? crazy, but that would be awesome.

$3,000? Might be awesome for you, but NOT me.
  • Reply 109 of 114
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    A lot of people have no problem using a 30" monitor. These are for work related type stuff, not necessarily home consumer use. If one does real work (stuff that makes money), a 30" monitor would be great. Even 2.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applergeek View Post

Think 4K
  • Reply 111 of 114
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Think 4K

Think major league ass reaming for the bank account that wants one.

Heck, I'd expect the entry price of the Mac Pro to go up another £500. It isn't grounded in reality.

But hey, neither is Apple's entry pricing on a 'quad' chip. £2K. Ka-CHING!

Won't stop me lusting for one...as soon as they get over their iPhone/iPad fixation.

Looks towards June for a Mac Pro launch. Well, I guess I can hope.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Walked past an old PowerMac G4 the other day and it made me realise how big the Mac Pro case really is. I wonder how many people actually use all four hard-drive bays, or all four PCI slots, or both optical drive bays. I mean, the Mac Pro is basically just a server in tower form. Even the Virginia Tech cluster used Mac Pros instead of the XServe originally. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it exists for those people that need it, but I want a smaller option.

If Apple can somehow find a niche between the iPhone and an iBook, I wonder why they can't or won't see the gaping chasm of a niche in their headless Macs between the underpowered and crippled Mac Mini and the reasonably powerful (and expensive) behemoth that is the Mac Pro.

Obviously that's where they want the iMac to sit, but there are plenty of people opposed to buying all-in-ones. I'd rather not have performance limited by having to squeeze internals into an ever slimming design that will put the noise of the fans necessary to cope with that concentrated heat on your desk and in your face. I think I'm also turned off as an ex owner of the original iMac G5, which was extremely loud with an annoying whine that was almost impossible to bear. Computers date much more quickly than displays so it also makes sense from an environmental perspective to keep the two separated.

At the same time, I can't justify the expense and sheer size of the Mac Pro, that is difficult to store and creates an eyesore in an otherwise minamilst aesthetic Apple tries to encourage. I know the people needing true power aren't concerned about the size of a box, but that's why I feel like I'm the perfect candidate for a mini-headless tower Mac or something more powerful than a mini at least anyway.

PS. As we move towards flash storage, which is faster and supposedly more reliable than magnetic media (though this is debated), I wonder if Apple will consider revising the Mac Pro to reduce the size needed for full-sized magnetic hard drives. This would at least free up a significant amount of internal space. If I had the money for a Mac Pro, I'd at least want the performance benefits of a flash drive for the OS at least!
  • Reply 113 of 114
    heisetaxheisetax Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

30" = overkill. Who's gonna buy those?

30" ACD. That's quite a pricetag.

Walk into any Best Buy. You're lucky if you see 27-inch displays. 9 times out of 10 the largest you'll see is 24-inches.

I use 2 30" 2560 X 1600 displays & do not believe they are overkill for my work. My first 30" display is an Apple unit. It has had a couple of dimmer areas on the screen ever since the warranty ran out. For that reason I waited for Apple to come out with a new LCD display of equal or larger size. But as we know they did not do that. Then the 27" iMac with its 16 X 9 screen size meant that a proper for me 30" Apple replacement display would not be in the works. At this time I decided to purchase the higher rated but lower cost HP 30" display. It works great, displays great & has 3 built-in DL connectors. That means that I can very easily connect my old PPC PowerBook to it. Then with a $100 or so adapter I'll be able to connect it to my soon to be received 17" I7 Intel MacBook Pro.

A 16 X 9 screen will keep Apple permanently out of any new purchases by me. I got a 16 X 9 47" display that needs those extra 10% pixels that is on my 28" ViewSonic. The 47" display is for customer viewing of our work. The 28" model could be easily changed to a new 30" display. But will anyone come up with good enough reasons for me to change?

I really wanted someone to come out with a 3840 X 2400 display. But that maybe wishful thinking with what is coming out. I always want more on my display. The because I deal with text & numbers life wont be getting any better anytime soon it looks like.

Just remember, 15" displays are overkill for some. While multiple 30"+ displays is still not enough. We can not judge someone else's needs by our own.
  • Reply 114 of 114
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    GEEZ! Where are the new Mac Pros? 45 days from the article was weeks ago.

Even if I count days only by M-F, 45 days is two days from now.