Briefly: Intel short on supply of MacBook Pro-bound processors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel is struggling to meet demand for its new family of Core mobile processors that are widely expected to turn up in the next round of updates to Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro lines of notebook computers, according to a published report.

Citing its usual sources within the notebook sector, sometimes right, sometimes wrong Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes says Intel's latest Core i7/i5/i3 series notebook chips are currently facing tight supply thanks to a hefty order from Acer, which "optimistic about the upcoming demand" for its related portables.

The brief report, which doesn't specifically name Apple, claims that Intel is giving priority to major clients, which should include the Mac maker, leaving second-tier and smaller notebook makers in the waiting line.

For its part, AppleInsider recently outline alternative factors that may be contributing to Apple's aging notebook offerings in its recent report on dual graphics improvements expected to turn up in new MacBook Pros sometime this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Briefly: Intel short on supply of MacBook Pro-bounce processors

Shouldn't that be MacBook Pro-bound processors? I have a hard time imagining Macbook Pros bouncing...
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Shouldn't that be MacBook Pro-bound processors? I have a hard time imagining Macbook Pros bouncing...

You know what? They are always in such a hurry to be the first one to let internet know that i often end up finding 3 mistakes in their post.

And mistakes in headlines are just PATHETIC!

Also this line doesnt sound right: "...thanks to a hefty order from Acer, which "optimistic about the upcoming demand" for its related portables.".

I wish some Apple-ism will finally rub off on AppleInsider someday and we will have "bug free article releases" instead of developer betas.

• Reply 3 of 66
    I know that the AppleInsider headlines are sometimes written with a bit of sensationalism, but "MacBook Pro-bounce processors"?

Let's see, the "Pro-bounce" processor must be the one that bounces higher and faster than the consumer level "bounce processor".

So, just agreeing with you two first posters.

It is sad - both their trend toward sensationalism, and the lack of proof-reading before publishing.

Maybe they had to get it "into the presses" right away, and the writer had just stepped away for coffee. Or something.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This would explain the lack of an update.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I guess Intel can play hardball, too.

I thought the use of "bounce" was intentional, in the manner of how stock prices are sometimes said to "bounce" higher.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    What this article is saying, is that there are likely to be more delays in seeing new Mac models. My aging G5 PowerMac is getting to be an issue, with several new software titles coming out Intel-only. Even automated software updates have loaded Intel-Only versions, which forces me to delete, go to the website, and download the PPC version. I am ready to move on.

I wonder more about features than the latest processor. Will the next gen have USB-3? I'd hate to feel like my machine is obsolete after a year, because the standard changed again.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    I don't want anyone bouncing the processor in my Mac Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

What this article is saying, is that there are likely to be more delays in seeing new Mac models. My aging G5 PowerMac is getting to be an issue, with several new software titles coming out Intel-only. Even automated software updates have loaded Intel-Only versions, which forces me to delete, go to the website, and download the PPC version. I am ready to move on.

I wonder more about features than the latest processor. Will the next gen have USB-3? I'd hate to feel like my machine is obsolete after a year, because the standard changed again.

I'm also wondering about when USB 3.0 will be in the notebook line. I was thinking of upgrading my MBP in the fall, but I might hold out until they come out with USB3.0, whenever that is, as externals are a major part of my computer experience, and having 3.0 is important for transfers.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I've been wondering that since Apple's sparse update cycle compared to other OEMs would mean they'd be woefully behind other PC makers for this much needed feature if they didn't add USB3.0 with the next update.

There are USB3.0 chips available. NEC is ramping up nicely with their USB3.0 chip sales and Asus, a longtime maker of Apple-designed MoBos, has been selling boards with USB3.0 since last year.

Intel's plans for USB3.0 on the chipset are for next year. I think they are holding off so they can ready LightPeak as a viable competitor to USB3.0, which is fine, but USB3.0 will still be needed for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This would explain the lack of an update.

Yes, apparently, in order to further emphasize their transition from focusing on just computers to the wider world of mobile devices (including computers, of course), Apple will shortly rebrand themselves as "Bouncin' Apple" -- a rolling Granny Smith gathers no moss!!!

(And what better way to emphasize the "green" trend?)

(For those who are late to the party, the original title of this article read, "Intel short on supply of MacBook Pro-bounce processors," where "-bound" was obviously meant. Hopefully it's corrected by the time you read this. )

I'm not in the market myself for a laptop, but I'm not surprised by the delay. And Apple isn't wringing their hands either way, because emphasis is still clearly on the iPad's introduction. Once that ball's a-rollin' (or a-bouncin'?), things can proceed as normal. I was more surprised by the slight delay in announcing the Mac Pros, but they wouldn't be available until later anyway, so no one loses -- except those who need to make the leap soon due to older equipment (e.g., Applecation's G5 -- I feel your pain!).

I doubt that USB3 will be included just yet; Intel doesn't appear to be ready & willing to support it until next year. Damn!!!
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

I doubt that USB3 will be included just yet; Intel doesn't appear to be ready & willing to support it until next year. Damn!!!

Frak Intel. Apple has a long history of not using aspects of Intel's chips (eg: WiFi) so it's not like they have to wait for Intel to add USB3.0 support.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Doesn't the article say that Asus is the one experiencing the delay because major clients (aka Apple) are eating up current supply? That would not explain the Apple delay, but indicate current manufacturing of new notebooks.

At least that's how it reads to me.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    garibagariba Posts: 9member
    Everybody know Apple is buying AMD and the new Mac Pros will have the new Opteron 12 cores (magny Cours) and ATI video cards (OPENCL+ Crossfire)...

PA Semi team @ Apple should help the take over...
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Doesn't the article say that Asus is the one experiencing the delay because major clients (aka Apple) are eating up current supply? That would not explain the Apple delay, but indicate current manufacturing of new notebooks.

At least that's how it reads to me.

Read to me that Acer was buying up the lot which is causing the shortage.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    I wonder if apple has fallen out of Intel's good graces for daring to use their own chip in the iPad instead of Intel's Atom...

Still, Intel should be careful. Apple currently only buys chips from Intel for the Mac, and Apple sells a lot of Macs. Does Intel really want to risk losing business to AMD?

Of course, I guess it's possible that the delay in the MBPs has nothing to do with Apple not getting chips from Intel. Could be Apple's own marketing schedule, could be some other feature that Apple wants to add to the MBPs that's been delayed... I guess we don't know.

--- one other thought -- Apple buys a heck of a lot of flash. Intel sells a lot of flash, but so do a lot of other companies. Does Intel want to alienate the biggest flash customer in the world?
  • Reply 16 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Read to me that Acer was buying up the lot which is causing the shortage.

It says they placed an order, which has constrained supply. One order, albeit large, shouldn't constrain supply unless they are already filling large orders, which is what I thought the third paragraph was trying to say.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

There are USB3.0 chips available. NEC is ramping up nicely with their USB3.0 chip sales and Asus, a longtime maker of Apple-designed MoBos, has been selling boards with USB3.0 since last year.

Intel's plans for USB3.0 on the chipset are for next year. I think they are holding off so they can ready LightPeak as a viable competitor to USB3.0, which is fine, but USB3.0 will still be needed for the foreseeable future.

How many devices are currently using all USB 2.0 bandwidth? Tests that I have seen online have shown no real boost in switching to USB3 to date. Also Asus is typically the first (or second) company to offer any given feature. They're usually right on top of things and I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard Intel was waiting till 2011 that Asus was releasing stuff for USB3 anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    I just wish for a QuadCore inside a MBP, as I heard last time round the upgrade was discussed the Intel offerings were a tad too hot.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    A processor BUMP is going from 3Ghz to 3.5Ghz.

A processor BOUNCE is going from Core2Duo to Core i5.

Just a little misunderstanding with all this technical jargon. : )
  • Reply 20 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I emailed the news address suggesting the headline be corrected.

Quote:

Frak Intel. Apple has a long history of not using aspects of Intel's chips (eg: WiFi) so it's not like they have to wait for Intel to add USB3.0 support.

Everything I've seen about Intel's WiFi is that it is a separate chip or module. It's not as if Apple is installing Intel chips capabile of WiFi and then adding someone else's. I don't know why Intel's chips aren't used, I can't find that answer.