Another 'illegal' Apple iPod touch billboard comes under scrutiny

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

jealous much?

About what? I have lots of Apple gear.

During the credit bubble Apple got aggressive and placed their ads everywhere, they also had a hot new product that basically filled a need, a device to carry all ones music wherever called a iPod.

They got away with a lot of things likely because they were spreading money around to do it and riding the rush of lots of people with high amounts of disposable cash. The fad has now worn thin and the ads old, people are tightening their wallets and Apple likely has turned off the payola spigot.

The high profile ads should have been taken down like last year already, now cash strapped governments view them as targets.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Exactly. California is sorely hurting for money as a result of the sub-prime mess that started in their state.

I don't know if any other Californians have taken the time to read it, but Whitman has released the text of her proposed plan. Good luck getting the slimeball politicians that will remain after Arnold is gone to support and follow it, but it's a good read. The problem is that politicians cannot be fired for doing a bad job except by eventual vote. That takes too long. We need a streamlined system that jettisons the trash if it's weighing us down.

I especially like her thinking on this:

Quote:

Meg will institute a flexible hiring freeze to slow down new hiring and reduce the state workforce back to its 2004-2005 levels. The hiring freeze will not apply to most public safety workers, but it will be an effective way to rein in the costs of the bureaucracy. Meg believes this reform will save the state more than $3 billion a year.

There are too many government workers draining the pockets of Californians and they have a tendency to not want to fire themselves once they get settled in.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Don't California have more important things to worry about? a destroyed local economy, highest unemployment rate in the nation, one of the highest fiscal debt in the nation, do they really have this much leisure time and resources to worry about a billboard?

I don't know where you are from and what goes on in your head, but if you are picturing passers by or office workers on their break climbing sides of buildings to bring billboards down, you have got the wrong picture. The police do this sot of stuff and it's better they do this that to down donuts in coffee shops.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Yes but isn't Hollywood home to some famous outdoor advertising sign? Says Hollywood or something like that. Built in the twenties and many considered it an eyesore?
  • Reply 25 of 56
    thakkthakk Posts: 3member
    I'm not sure I understand what the safety concern is here... could someone enlighten me?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

California can't solve their budget mess because pretty much the whole electorate, from left to right, wants to get more and more services while paying less and less taxes. If you want to blame the elected officials for that go ahead, but nothing will get fixed as long as the boobs keep voting for politicians who promise to deliver the impossible and against anyone who whispers anything resembling the truth.

Spot on. If only the press put this message out more regularly.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thakk View Post

I'm not sure I understand what the safety concern is here... could someone enlighten me?

It's doublespeak from Carmen Trutanich. It's really all about money and his office expanding its powers.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Ah I love boston, hey that sign is too big oh and there was a donation made to get it up so it has to come down, or wait you can give us 100,000 bucks and well we'll let you keep it =\\

Same city where a city councilman's son was given a contract to paint the big dig tunnels 5 years before they were even started (no bid) and billed the project for those 5 years.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know if any other Californians have taken the time to read it, but Whitman has released the text of her proposed plan. Good luck getting the slimeball politicians that will remain after Arnold is gone to support and follow it, but it's a good read. The problem is that politicians cannot be fired for doing a bad job except by eventual vote. That takes too long. We need a streamlined system that jettisons the trash if it's weighing us down.

You mean like the way they dealt with "Gray"?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Good link, nice PDF from a obviously very intelligent woman.

I think it would take longer than a few years of economic pain for the general Californian population to reverse it's thinking. Right now I believe they are in denial and clinging to shifting the blame rather that focusing on what they did to contribute to the problem.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Arnold took advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime weakness in candidates for the office. I don't know if Whitman is similarly driven by ego and power in a quest to rule over California, or if she has designs on eventually running for president, but if it is at all possible to wrangle kittens and get the job done here, I will support them. California businesses have been gutted.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I think it would take longer than a few years of economic pain for the general Californian population to reverse it's thinking.

You mean learn to speak English? There are lots of problems in California and the US. I personally believe these immigration issues are unsolvable and will eventually cause the collapse of the American empire. Better learn to speak Chinese.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think he was implying something a bit more in line with traditional right-wing thinking like illegal invasions and death squads.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I think he was implying something a bit more in line with traditional right-wing thinking like illegal invasions and death squads.

Whatever. You present me with a serious pro-business, government cost cutting Democrat and I'd vote for them. Politics and political parties don't interest me with a state being crushed under the weight of it's own debt.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Don't California have more important things to worry about? a destroyed local economy, highest unemployment rate in the nation, one of the highest fiscal debt in the nation, do they really have this much leisure time and resources to worry about a billboard?

Yeah, don't worry about gigantic signs that aren't built to withstand windstorms. Who cares if they fall down and kill somebody...
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I wonder why "illegal" is in quotation marks, as if it's a figure of speech, a matter of speculation, or some such thing. If the sign violated city ordinances, which it did, then the sign is illegal -- no quotes required.

BTW, the City of Los Angeles (not to be confused with the State of California) has some of the most lax sign regulations in the country (Sunset Boulevard, anybody?). Which should not be confused with no sign regulations. I don't think anyone would want to live in a place without any controls over signage.

I don't support this sentiment - because I think the world needs an 11 story picture depicting a stretched anus (google goatse if you haven't been on the internet in 15 years), and it's my dream that with enough money - a giant goatse will be depicted on a skyscraper in Hollywood.

WE NEED OUR GOATSE ADVERTISING SUPERGRAPHICS!
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yeah, don't worry about gigantic signs that aren't built to withstand windstorms. Who cares if they fall down and kill somebody...

Public safety is the last thing Trutanich has in mind. It's called send the envelopes straight to his office.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Public safety is the last thing Trutanich has in mind. It's called send the envelopes straight to his office.

From the fictional Newspeak, we have the nonfictional Truspeak.

http://www.tru09.com/
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

From the fictional Newspeak, we have the nonfictional Truspeak.

http://www.tru09.com/

He's a real disappointment. Glad I didn't vote for him, but that doesn't make it any better.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Businesses need to respect the laws, just has we need to stop at red lights even if we don't see cross traffic. Illegal billboards have been a problem in Los Angeles for a number of years. Advertisers are willing to pay more then $100,000 per month for some locations. That makes it worth the legal expense. There are now bright digital billboards that change ads every few seconds. If you live close your apartment will change colors.

Billboards (off-site advertising) are outlawed in many neighboring cities such as Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. It's not a City of Los Angeles revenue shake down.

For revenue, I think the United States should start charging to advertise on one end of the currency ("spend this dollar at Starbucks and get a grande for the price....", instead of giving the IGWT people a freebie. Sale currency with a blank 2' area to print on at one end to businesses at a huge premium over face value. Let them print approved messages and distribute.