Another 'illegal' Apple iPod touch billboard comes under scrutiny

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

How much do you want for your cave? I'm looking for a quiet place away from the world.

Actually it's about the money, not just Apple. LA saw Boston got big bucks and now they want some too.

Apple should have taken down the ads once the credit market blew, they should have known people and governments were going to react negatively on some fashion to their luxury products post bubble recession and all.

It's all psychology my friend.

Woohoo, wasn't a bubble, was a long-standing practice of being stupid with lending and credit practices that resulted in essential if not actual fails by some major money movers, and the ripple effect back into the economy. Apple has maintained mindshare and market growth throughout the so-called "post-bubble recession", so I think you may not be completely on the mark with this.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    For an advertisement to be inoffensive and unobjectionable it must, at the very least, not drop an 11-story slab of something onto peoples' heads.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...CBS Outdoor told city officials last week that it will remove two advertisements, at least one of which is the iPod touch billboard.

...and the other sign?

Is on the other side of the same building. Click the Google maps credit link.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

The giant advertisement for the iPod touch at 1205 N. Highland Ave. reportedly broke free in a wind storm last October, bringing the massive display crashing to the ground, according to the Los Angeles Times. The billboard, placed for Apple through CBS Outdoor, reads "More games. More fun.

so much for Apple being"environmentally" friendly.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Interesting.

I pass by there all the time. Apple's had GIGANTIC ads constantly in that exact spot going back to the "Think Different" days. Almost a decade I'd say. Why this location is suddenly illegal baffles me. Btw the ad you have pictured is the 11 story billboard at 1025 Highland, not 1205.

Over the last decade, L.A. has experienced wind storms many times worse than what happened in October. As far as I know, no ad has ever come free and killed anyone. Perhaps there was an error in the way this current ad was installed.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    That's one serious find for a scavenger hunt.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Don't California have more important things to worry about? a destroyed local economy, highest unemployment rate in the nation, one of the highest fiscal debt in the nation, do they really have this much leisure time and resources to worry about a billboard?

What an ignorant set of comments.

More important things to worry about? Yes -- like your grammar. ("Don't California"?)

Highest unemployment rate in the nation? FLAT-OUT FALSE. As of January, 2010, Los Angeles is #283: http://www.bls.gov/web/laummtrk.htm

Fortunately, we have enough people, here, to work on various issues simultaneously. When you live in a metropolitan area that has over 15,000,000 people, it sort of works that way.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Apple should have taken down the ads once the credit market blew, they should have known people and governments were going to react negatively on some fashion to their luxury products post bubble recession and all.

Except they aren't.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

IBTW, the City of Los Angeles (not to be confused with the State of California) has some of the most lax sign regulations in the country (Sunset Boulevard, anybody?). Which should not be confused with no sign regulations. I don't think anyone would want to live in a place without any controls over signage.

False. The section of Sunset Boulevard to which you're referring is not in the city of Los Angeles. It's in the city of West Hollywood -- which has its own set of rules and regulations.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

False. The section of Sunset Boulevard to which you're referring is not in the city of Los Angeles. It's in the city of West Hollywood -- which has its own set of rules and regulations.

Truth. Sunset Boulevard is in Los Angeles, West Hollywood (which is a new city; previous to that it was unincorporated LA County), and Beverly Hills. So your point was?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Don't California have more important things to worry about? a destroyed local economy, highest unemployment rate in the nation, one of the highest fiscal debt in the nation, do they really have this much leisure time and resources to worry about a billboard?

It is a Los Angeles city ordinance. The last thing we need in this city are big ugly ads all over the place. The billboards are bad enough and out of control. The city is correct to police the supergraphics before they get out of control just like the billboards.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Can someone translate what this guy just said?

As best I can tell, however it translates, the guys hasn't payed attention to Apple stocks well after this "credit bubble" he's talking about.

Apple is doing just fine during this "recession".
  • Reply 53 of 56
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

How much do you want for your cave? I'm looking for a quiet place away from the world.

Actually it's about the money, not just Apple. LA saw Boston got big bucks and now they want some too.

Apple should have taken down the ads once the credit market blew,

they should have known people and governments were going to react negatively on some fashion

to their luxury products post bubble recession and all.

It's all psychology my friend.

Do you 'practice' Psychology? - It appears your opinion on the article is very - let's just say - 'unique'.

People and governments have a negative view of Apple because Apple portray their products as luxury items?

I can't think of a single incidence in 30 years of using Apple products where they have said, on any occasion,

'come buy our expensive products and everyone will then see how rich and important you are'.

The Ad in question speaks of the iPod's games and Apps, how does that portray it as a luxury device?

Don't games and Apps cost from 0.99¢ to maybe $8.99 (yes, some Apps are $295.99),

that's less expensive than any comparable device and there are more Apps than any other device.

I just can't see the 'logic' in you post - can you explain 'your logic' to me?
  • Reply 54 of 56
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Amen. Who's life, liberty or property has been damaged here? Who is the injured party? Yet another case of the "city government" complaining about something just to wield its unlawful power. So the sign blew off the building. Was anyone hurt? Put the sign back up and make sure it's secure this time! Accidents do happen; that's the nature of life. Should we create a new prohibitive law every time something goes wrong? Preventative laws only grow out of control and bring oppression upon the people they control. Perhaps California should be more concerned that its local government was put into place by military order or that the paper money it and all the other states are using today has no intrinsic value whatsoever??
  • Reply 55 of 56
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    First, it seems the difference between "California" and "Los Angeles" needs to be better understood. The city is located within the state, not the other way around. Second, I wonder who among those who have knee-jerk reactions to the entire concept of sign regulations, actually lives in a city or jurisdiction which does not regulate signage. I wonder if they understand the consequences of their opinions.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    It is illegal and has been since it was put up, but this is actually the least offensive one I can think of since it's on the blank side of a public storage building and has been there for years. The problem is that it's becoming a wholesale thing in LA with entire buildings being wrapped. If I was renting office space in one and suddenly my light and views were cut off I would start withholding rent.