Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That is one of the dumbest things I have read on these forums in a long, long time ...

I think you used the wrong word. "Dumb" would mean a flaw in my logic, whereas I think you mean something closer to "I disagree with this." Especially since you don't provide any info on where the flaw is, or what it is, etc.

I was really just stating an opinion anyway, but if I were to construct an argument I would say that Nintendo's sales are down and it's most recent mobile products have limited appeal outside of tweens. Said tweens are also flocking to the competition (iPod touch), in unprecedented numbers.

I mean come on, the DS has two(!) tiny(!) screens (which is just nuts to start with), and then you use a tiny stick to manipulate things on them? WTF? The DS is clearly destined to be simply an odd footnote in mobile computing if you ask me.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, you've just helped prove my point. You write in your first paragraph that you have no intention of "exposing" you kids to a dedicated device. Therefore, no gaming devices have gone into your decision making. Your purchase of an iPod does not take away a sale from nintendo or sony, because you never would have purchased their products in the first place. Therefore, in your case, Apple is not competing with Nintendo.

In my case? Maybe. If Nintendo wants to look at it that way to reassure themselves that iPods are not a threat. However, looked at a little more broadly (than those who are out looking specifically for a dedicated gaming device, which I can't see as being that significant and sustainable) Apple makes "must-have mobile devices" with which parents can entertain, and educate, their kids. The post I replied to spoke of entertaining kids for a couple of hours per day, or in the car, for example. Unfortunately, that is a real need for real parents. Nintendo definitely wants me to consider their device for that role, whether or not I am really open to it or not. Nintendo has a real uphill battle for my dollars, and maybe increasingly with less determined consumers as well.

Does Nintendo attract my attention as an entertainment device for my children? No. Apple devices do. The post said that Nintendo's market is (presumably all) 6-16 year-olds, and yet you say it's no big deal that a good proportion of parents may never consider a dedicated gaming device because they think something like the iPod is much better value.

So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then? Then, among those who would "consider a gaming device" in their decision, the iPod is still going to be really attractive. But hey, Apple is not really competing with Nintendo, so, no worries.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

No, it's not stupid. I'm a parent of three -- 11, 8 and 5. I don't really want them playing video games too much. I certainly am not going to expose them to the more expensive and supposedly "better" games they are apparently "missing out on" since we have no "real" gaming console, portable or otherwise.

I do, however, have an iPod Touch, and I can barely get it away from my kids. It's great for travelling. I would never buy three cheaper portable gaming devices, whatever the cost. But they may well have the iPod Touch all to themselves as soon as I get an iPad. Then I will be competing for use of that, too. If I could get 5 iPads, or 4 more iPods, I would. It's true that I won't be "picking one up" for each child, but I would certainly get another one or two before I ever even considered a gaming console. To me, gaming is a waste of money, and that's stupid -- I would save up, or find a second-hand iPod Touch instead of going down that route, every time. Do something right, or don't do it.

So, get an iPod Touch, use it for your shopping list, synced calendars, contacts, car mileage, email, you name it -- and let the kids wrestle over it while you are driving. Their games and movies and artwork are all on there. Win-win. No contest between that and a gaming console! None whatsoever. I think I know what they will be saving their money for, too.

The games are fine; I don't know what they are missing, and we don't care. Head to head games (even on one iPod) are fun and my five-year-old beats me most of the time. There are also a lot of useful and educational programs for them, too. The five year-old has apps to help him read, art programs, information, etc. What more could I ask for. My kids are not going to be gamers, they are going to be productive, computer literate, web savvy kids.

If there are many other parents like me, and kids like mine, then Nintendo and Sony do have something to worry about.

Well said.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I sure hope it uses Tegra 2. The DS, while fun, is very underpowered, and has been stagnant since 2004 apart from minor refreshes. Tegra 2 would be like going from the Nintendo 64 to higher-than-PS2-level graphics.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you used the wrong word. "Dumb" would mean a flaw in my logic, whereas I think you mean something closer to "I disagree with this." Especially since you don't provide any info on where the flaw is, or what it is, etc.

I was really just stating an opinion anyway, but if I were to construct an argument I would say that Nintendo's sales are down and it's most recent mobile products have limited appeal outside of tweens. Said tweens are also flocking to the competition (iPod touch), in unprecedented numbers.

I mean come on, the DS has two(!) tiny(!) screens (which is just nuts to start with), and then you use a tiny stick to manipulate things on them? WTF? The DS is clearly destined to be simply an odd footnote in mobile computing if you ask me.

Nintendos sales are down because for the most part everyone that makes gaming systems sales are down. Nintendo also has a slide in sales because they have sold so many units with the DS and Wii.

The fact still remains it has 70% of the handheld market so to say its just going to go away is a foolish statement with no real logic or fact behind it.

By the way three are a fresh new group of tweens every year.

Nintendo situation has nothing really to do with Apple it has to do with the fact that the DS has been so popular they have had no reason to redesign it. Now that sales have drop Nintendo will come out with a 3D gaming system that will spark new interest.

When you look at gaming library that Nintendo has compared to the Apps Store this isn't even a real arguement.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can't even tell what the point of contention is. As usual, the push back (why?) against the incontrovertible fact that Apple is making a lot of headway in the mobile gaming space is an incoherent mixture of "But those aren't real games!", some made up metrics regarding markets that show that Apple doesn't actually compete because they're selling to different people than Nintendo (why does that matter?) and some hand waving that seeks to confuse price points between the most expensive, on contract iPhone and the Touch (base model Touch available for $199).

iPod Touches are selling like hot-cakes, and I suspect are the basis for a lot of Apple's inroads. People are getting them for their kids because their kids want them, the games are cheap, readily available, and they wind up with something that can do more than play games (be an iPod, for one).

Of course Nintendo is concerned. Apple is converting a generation of casual game players to their ecosystem. Explaining, again, about how some Nintendo title is a real game while App Store games are stupid really doesn't have anything to do with it-- a sale's a sale.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

In my case? Maybe. If Nintendo wants to look at it that way to reassure themselves that iPods are not a threat. However, looked at a little more broadly (than those who are out looking specifically for a dedicated gaming device, which I can't see as being that significant and sustainable) Apple makes "must-have mobile devices" with which parents can entertain, and educate, their kids. The post I replied to spoke of entertaining kids for a couple of hours per day, or in the car, for example. Unfortunately, that is a real need for real parents. Nintendo definitely wants me to consider their device for that role, whether or not I am really open to it or not. Nintendo has a real uphill battle for my dollars, and maybe increasingly with less determined consumers as well.

Does Nintendo attract my attention as an entertainment device for my children? No. Apple devices do. The post said that Nintendo's market is (presumably all) 6-16 year-olds, and yet you say it's no big deal that a good proportion of parents may never consider a dedicated gaming device because they think something like the iPod is much better value.

So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then? Then, among those who would "consider a gaming device" in their decision, the iPod is still going to be really attractive. But hey, Apple is not really competing with Nintendo, so, no worries.

Very well said. It's all about device convergence.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Nintendo has Pokemon and Mario Bros and a few other popular characters. As a parent of two boys, I did some fast math and bought one an iPod touch and the other got the handed down iPhone. They still prefer their DSes when at home as they mach up with the Wii characters. But when we hit the car, they grab the iPod touches. They can watch movies, play more games, and do more things with the Apple kit.

As a parent, I appreciate the cheap games and ever growing library. My older son is making the move towards his computer and iPod touch anyway. I'm sure it won't be long before he wants an iPad.

Some time ago, I thought the DS would be fun for a few things. Brain Age, Sudoku, etc. I was very glad when the iPod touch came out so I could get something more robust instead.

Nintendo is going to take a hit on their new stuff as there are a lot of devices competing now.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I can't even tell what the point of contention is. As usual, the push back (why?) against the incontrovertible fact that Apple is making a lot of headway in the mobile gaming space is an incoherent mixture of "But those aren't real games!", some made up metrics regarding markets that show that Apple doesn't actually compete because they're selling to different people than Nintendo (why does that matter?) and some hand waving that seeks to confuse price points between the most expensive, on contract iPhone and the Touch (base model Touch available for $199).

iPod Touches are selling like hot-cakes, and I suspect are the basis for a lot of Apple's inroads. People are getting them for their kids because their kids want them, the games are cheap, readily available, and they wind up with something that can do more than play games (be an iPod, for one).

Of course Nintendo is concerned. Apple is converting a generation of casual game players to their ecosystem. Explaining, again, about how some Nintendo title is a real game while App Store games are stupid really doesn't have anything to do with it-- a sale's a sale.

People are pushing back at the fact that Apple is making headway in the gaming market. People like me push back when others try to act like everyone else is DOOMED because of it.

A company like Nintendo still has 70% of the market and members of this forum at like they are going to fold up and go away next week. Its typical fanboy BS.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them.

3D portable gaming will be huge with middle-school kids.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Oh God that brings back such funny memories. There was a kid at daycare that would bring that thing and want to play it, and we would walk up and wipe boogers on his cheek as he was playing.

As least he didn't get hit by a low-flying airplane.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    icarasicaras Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Very well said indeed.

I don't know how one can blindly dismiss this as not being competition? Before we can start discussing about franchises, device convergences, etc, what always matters most at the end of the day to any company, is the consumer dollar.

Your post, though clearly anecdotal, represents a great example of this at work. To dismiss that Nintendo and Apple are not in competition whatsoever is purely denial at this point.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Yep - Nintendo announced this far too early. Strange particularly for them to do this.

Secondly, sometimes I find people (especially in these parts) are a little blinded by Apple.

For example, Nintendo has sold more then 125 million units, 2004-2010

To put this into perspective, the iPod, one of the greatest consumer success stories of all time and cultural icon of the 00's has sold 250 million units, 2001-2010.

To put it bluntly, the DS is an absolute phenomenon, something which is rarely talked about and recognised in the media and generally on sites like this.

Saying that Nintendo are combating Apple's creep into the gaming market is pure sensationalist bs. Sure Nintendo are watching their competition, obviously, but these guys are damn juggernauts, and it will take A LOT more for them to even break a sweat.

eg "After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them." Utter nonsense.

Well said... well said.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    The thing People have to realize is that Nintendo does good because of their games. Not because of the hardware.

Also keep in mind its been rumoured that the 3ds will have a tegra or tegra 2 gpu in it by nvidia. Thats a huge leap foward for a handhelp video game system.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why do you need 3d to play on a small 3.5 inch screen. Nintendo will keep its fans, but people who only play casually on the train or the bus will always play on their phones, because carrying two things that do the same thing is impractical, not to mention paying for a second hand held device and the game, which are more expensive on the DS.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    A little misleading in the article, but Nintendo Sales portable sales are up, obviously not as much as Apples, but up none the less. To me, they are clearly indirect competitiors and Apple is carving out a new niche of gamers, similar to what the Wii did with consoles. The casual, I'm bored waiting at the doctors office or on the train kind of gamer.

But Nintendo had 75% of $2.25 bil = 1.687 billion in 2008 and 70% of 2.55 billion = $1.785 billion in 2009. Growth of 6% on a mature platform isn't too bad, especially in a recession. Clearly Apple is growing the casual gamer, and driving the portable market.

Is it really at anyone's expense? Or is it driving a new part of the gaming market?
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nintendo surprised the gaming world this week by preannouncing a glasses-free 3D successor to the Nintendo DS,

3D gaming? Hell - I took delivery of one, this (last) weekend (really). Although at 370 pounds - not sure how portable it is.

It's a nice novelty, but I'm not sure it's the future of gaming.

It could probably make a good MRI of your kid or household pet though. Hey CAT - time for a CAT SCAN! (meow ffst fssst scratch ow fssst rwaorw ow stop that! spit scratch)
  • Reply 58 of 80
    ^^^

nice!
  • Reply 59 of 80
    A few others here mentioned Nintendo's software but nobody went further with it. Nintendo should release versions of their titles for the iPhone OS platforms, and they could even cross promote between them and their own platforms. For example, owning the Wii version of a game (and vice-versa) would unlock content in the other.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    icarasicaras Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

A few others here mentioned Nintendo's software but nobody went further with it. Nintendo should release versions of their titles for the iPhone OS platforms, and they could even cross promote between them and their own platforms. For example, owning the Wii version of a game (and vice-versa) would unlock content in the other.

Ha! Hell will freeze over first before Nintendo ever brings over any of their IPs to competing platforms. And we'll forget the Phillips CDi for the sake of argument.

Nintendo is in the business of selling software and HARDWARE. They are just well as known as Apple, for their secrecy, passion, perfectionist attitude, and ego.