No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He can't even make an accurate logical association that studies have shown are possible in other primates so I think getting him to understand the nuisances of proper grammar is a lost cause.

You might have intended to use nuances and not nuisances in your observation. To use the proper terms more properly:

Techstud is a nuisance in this forum because of all his pontifications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... getting him to understand the "nuances" of proper grammar is a lost cause.

Personally, he reminds me of a person in parties or other social gatherings who thinks he knows everything and bothers everyone by injecting his opinion in every topic. But once he opens his big mouth, it becomes apparent that he is the one that is painfully tolerated in polite societies; but more likely gets flat on his back in more "rough and tumble" gatherings.

I hope some company is paying him for all his troubles. [How many posts now? tens of thousands? and sometimes half a dozen more in many Apple Insider threads?] If he is posting to share what he truly believes in, I feel sorry for him.

Reading him, I am not sure if he really understands the evolution of technology, to claim that part of his username "TEK". And, considering how much time he spends almost everyday in this forum alone (and perhaps other forums???), when does he have time to live up to the other part of his username -- "STUD"?

CGC
  • Reply 162 of 166
    of COURSE you will use the ipad to work: it has the best keyboard, a large display and the software on it is compatible with office. sarcasm mode off. this result goes to show how wrong people are with their expectations. the ipad will be a nice internet surfing device, but that's about it.

ipad keynote sum up to the most importan 180 seconds: amazing, beaufitul, wonderful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZS8HqOGTbA
  • Reply 163 of 166
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So much for the "but it's not a 'serious' machine" bleating.

No, it won't run FCP (yet), but you can sure as hell whip up a nice Keynote presentation, etc.

52.3 percent -- said they are most likely to use a tablet device like the iPad to do work.

iPad (or any other tablet) require proper tools to be used for work. Beside having MS Office on their laptops and netbooks, most our clients also have Net Extender (or some other type of SSL-VPN) for remote desktop. And then, there will be keyboard problem - for some people at least.

It is not surprise people would use tablet for work as well. Heck, I'd use my iPhone instead of pulling laptop around all the time... except that I can't, even if iPhone is capable to replace computer in some tasks. There are no tools. Yet.
  • Reply 164 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Don't hold your breath.

Microsoft would have to rewrite the entire application from scratch for a brand-new processor architecture (ARM) and using Apple's iPad SDK. My guess is that the iPad has 512MB of RAM (twice the memory of the current iPhone and iPod touch), so Microsoft would have to work very hard to get the application to run well with limited resources.

Yeah, Office is tough beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUawhjxLS2I

I just couldn't resist...
  • Reply 165 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I'm not sure MS would bother to rewrite their suite for the iPad. More likely they'd extend their Microsoft Office Live online presence and go with a browser solution. That seems to be their future direction with Azure and other services.

They might, once there are enough iPads out there. Why not? It is money for them. Not much different from Mac Office.
  • Reply 166 of 166
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I wonder if the iPad will draw in new Apple products users or just cannabilizes Macbook sales...or maybe a bit of both.