Brightcove converts Time, NYT Flash video to HTML5 for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Yes, I think they were designers

Anyone relying heavily on Flash should not be so naive as to think that they have made the right business investment in the long run. The web is going mobile. HTML5 is the future.

It is a frightening world for those of us in this field for sure. There are youngsters coming out with three and four year degrees in subjects such as animation or editing where they basically specialized in the use of a single application assuming they would walk into Pixar or some high level company with their expertise only to find the world moved on to another product. It makes you nostalgic for when a trade learned was for life and you simply got better and better and wrinkled. I have spent the last thirty plus years having to constantly learn new things just to stay above water and even then sometimes one has to gamble in what direction to go to learn the next thing. This is one of those moments, all my Director and Flash books are going in the garage and I await the next phase.... or maybe early retirement
  • Reply 22 of 94
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Why are people around here so absolutely oblivious to the fact that Flash on the iphone is not only possible, but it's also not a cpu hogging battery drain???

It's Apple that's keeping flash from it's portable devices, and nobody else. The reasoning is basically because they are assholes, plain and simple. What else can Adobe do about it?

But yeah, lets all bend over and take it. Can you imagine everyone's reaction around here if Microsoft said quicktime was a battery draining cpu hog and it should be replaced?

Someone made a good point the other day. If apps which are the equivalent of what you see on the iphone can be delivered over the web via flash, then Apple loses it's control of distributing everything over the app store. Suddenly games can be had in the web browser.

At the eleventh hour, the Mozilla Foundation removed Flash support for Firefox Mobile for Maemo citing performance issues.

It's not just Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:

http://tv.adobe.com/en/watch/flash-p...ilt-with-flash

Why are people around here so absolutely oblivious to the fact that Flash on the iphone is not only possible, but it's also not a cpu hogging battery drain???

It's Apple that's keeping flash from it's portable devices, and nobody else. The reasoning is basically because they are assholes, plain and simple. What else can Adobe do about it?

But yeah, lets all bend over and take it. Can you imagine everyone's reaction around here if Microsoft said quicktime was a battery draining cpu hog and it should be replaced?

i could understand you being upset if Apple were pushing their own proprietary standard but they are advocating the use of an open standard like HTML5. And if HTML5 performs better than Flash on Apple's devices, surely it makes sense for Apple to support the standard that makes their products work better. It would be like an automaker pushing for the adoption of a form of fuel that improved horsepower and economy with no additional cost to consumers. Why wouldn't they?
  • Reply 24 of 94
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    It seems the tide is starting to turn, in Flash' disfavour.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is a frightening world for those of us in this field for sure. There are youngsters coming out with three and four year degrees in subjects such as animation or editing where they basically specialized in the use of a single application assuming they would walk into Pixar or some high level company with their expertise only to find the world moved on to another product. It makes you nostalgic for when a trade learned was for life and you simply got better and better and wrinkled. I have spent the last thirty plus years having to constantly learn new things just to stay above water and even then sometimes one has to gamble in what direction to go to learn the next thing. This is one of those moments, all my Director and Flash books are going in the garage and I await the next phase.... or maybe early retirement

That's really depressing to hear lol. It's almost as if when looking at salary for your type of job, you should deduct what it costs to keep yourself informed and modern.

Can html5 do this though? http://www.tubegame.com/ren__stimpys_crazy_cannon.html

If not, you've got some time. People here think web browsing is going mobile, and that's reason enough for flash to go out the door. It makes absolutely no sense and that position stems from being fed misinformation.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

i could understand you being upset if Apple were pushing their own proprietary standard but they are advocating the use of an open standard like HTML5. And if HTML5 performs better than Flash on Apple's devices, surely it makes sense for Apple to support the standard that makes their products work better. It would be like an automaker pushing for the adoption of a form of fuel that improved horsepower and economy with no additional cost to consumers. Why wouldn't they?

Exactly plus it undermines Adobe's plan to rule with World with Flash. I suspect they had some pretty far reaching plans if the truth be known.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    Quote:

That's really depressing to hear lol. It's almost as if when looking at salary for your type of job, you should deduct what it costs to keep yourself informed and modern.

LOL, trust me all those of us making a living in this digital media world would love this to be the case. I work for myself as do so many in this field and all we can do is work 7 days a week, several of those learning and keeping up My wife informs me I only play anyway as Macs are so much fun!

AS to can HTML5 do this or that ... if you read my earlier posts in this topic, I am hoping we get apps soon that can. BTW I hope when we do they are easy and fast to make changes to. Have you ever tried to get a complex and finished Flash based web site modified cheaply and quickly?
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

At the eleventh hour, the Mozilla Foundation removed Flash support for Firefox Mobile for Maemo citing performance issues.

It's not just Apple.

They also stopped development on Fennec, which always ran like shit in WM. Oh it must be WM right? Tell that to the guys who made Opera 10 mobile (which supports flash )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What I would like to see is simply both. Why should Apple govern what I see on my PC? Or attempt to make obsolete something that works perfectly well?

Flash is better than html5, plain and simple. Apple has simply spun the truth about flash on mobile platforms and everyone here has gobbled it up without question.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

[[...]

It's Apple that's keeping flash from it's portable devices, and nobody else.

[...]

Someone made a good point the other day. If apps which are the equivalent of what you see on the iphone can be delivered over the web via flash, then Apple loses it's control of distributing everything over the app store. Suddenly games can be had in the web browser.

a) What are all these other portable devices not made by Apple that have Flash? Even the Firefox Mobile developers disabled Flash because it was battery draining cpu hog.

b) In contradiction of the baseless assertion that Apple wishes to maintain, "control of distributing everything over the app store, " Apple has recently signaled to developers that Apps that are nothing more than views of web content are not appropriate as apps. Apple wishing to maintain a healthy app ecosystem for the iPhone is not equivalent to wanting to control all content on the iPhone/iPad.

Flash has had its day and its time is almost over. If Adobe were smart, they'd be working on producing kick-ass HTML5 development tools, instead of clinging to the past. If designers are smart, they'll start learning HTML5 now and brace themselves for the transition. Otherwise, both will quickly find themselves left out in the cold.

Edit: And consumers don't care. They aren't calling Apple out for not having Flash on the iPhone/iPad, but they do expect content providers to have their content available for them. Content providers realize this and will either get on board or watch someone else eat their lunch.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,718member
    If the iMac can kill the floppy then the iPad can kill Flash.

I, for one, welcome our HTML5 overlords.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

a) What are all these other portable devices not made by Apple that have Flash? Even the Firefox Mobile developers disabled Flash because it was battery draining cpu hog.

b) In contradiction of the baseless assertion that Apple wishes to maintain, "control of distributing everything over the app store, " Apple has recently signaled to developers that Apps that are nothing more than views of web content are not appropriate as apps. Apple wishing to maintain a healthy app ecosystem for the iPhone is not equivalent to wanting to control all content on the iPhone/iPad.

Flash has had its day and its time is almost over. If Adobe were smart, they'd be working on producing kick-ass HTML5 development tools, instead of clinging to the past. If designers are smart, they'll start learning HTML5 now and brace themselves for the transition. Otherwise, both will quickly find themselves left out in the cold.

Agreed. The underlying creation methodology in Director and Flash are right out of 1985 and so archaic as to be laughable. I still have the disk in the garage somewhere of an application that ran on the Mac Plus that worked identically, I forget its name at the moment (anyone remember) but it was amazing in its day but to still see that interface almost unchanged twenty five years later is mind blowing.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Ads, restaurant menus and some games will still be around for the time being. They will eventually fade out, but HTML5 isn't going to erase their existence in a matter of months.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    Quote:

It's Apple that's keeping flash from it's portable devices, and nobody else. The reasoning is basically because they are assholes, plain and simple. ........ BLAH BLAH....

Worried about your paycheck, huh......

Btw, there is no need for the language.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Ads, restaurant menus and some games will still be around for the time being. They will eventually fade out, but HTML5 isn't going to erase their existence in a matter of months.

I hear there are computers still being made with slots for 3.5" disk so your point is well made and I agree. It will take time. One thing is for sure though, all the excitement and innovation will be taking place without Flash.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Agreed, perhaps it is coming soon. I would think with the ability to take from Motion, Pages and iWeb, etc. Apple could make both a consumer and professional development suite for iPad and future products from that stable.

I think one reason we have not seen any GUI type HTML5 authoring environments is that it is not that easy to do. For example in the Postscript world you draw a circle and Illustrator converts it to code. Same thing with bezier, transparency, etc. Once encapsulated it contains all of the resources it needs to display or print.

With HTML 5 it is different since you can't really encapsulate it like Flash without repeating code over an over. You want to have include files and browser/device detection. The path to the JS resources on the server must be standardized. All of the little details that will make it break is where the problems are. Until someone (like Apple) delivers a complete publishing solution including the server it will not work for artists and remain completely in the realm of hard core programmers, which is really an isolated niche.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apropos of nothing, if Apple unveils either GarageBand or Logic Express for iPad (anytime soon) that will be enough for me to buy one before version 2 with the inevitable built-in camera.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think one reason we have not seen any GUI type HTML5 authoring environments is that it is not that easy to do. For example in the Postscript world you draw a circle and Illustrator converts it to code. Same thing with bezier, transparency, etc. Once encapsulated it contains all of the resources it needs to display or print.

With HTML 5 it is different since you can't really encapsulate it like Flash without repeating code over an over. You want to have include files and browser/device detection. The path to the JS resources on the server must be standardized. All of the little details that will make it break is where the problems are. Until someone (like Apple) delivers a complete publishing solution including the server it will not work for artists and remain completely in the realm of hard core programmers, which is really an isolated niche.

I hear you. Do you think Apple will deliver?
  • Reply 38 of 94
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

[...]

With HTML 5 it is different since you can't really encapsulate it like Flash without repeating code over an over. You want to have include files and browser/device detection. The path to the JS resources on the server must be standardized. All of the little details that will make it break is where the problems are.

I don't think the "repeating code" issue is really an issue at all, but can and will be solved with properly designed .js components and .css. But, yes, to move beyond simply video, proper tools are necessary, and I expect that they will be forthcoming shortly: someone will turn out to be way ahead of the curve in this regard, and I suspect it won't be Adobe. As far as paths to resources, etc., I don't see that as being anything different than what has to be handled currently, it's just a matter of doing it with different files.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Granted, the interface is still young on the HTML5 side and needs to have more user features such as full screen etc. but I am confident that is all coming.

Indeed. You may have seen this HTML5 video demo:

http://jilion.com/sublime/video

From their page:
    Quote:

Full-screen mode by alt-clicking on the full-window button (currently only supported in latest WebKit Nightly Builds)

Quote:

Ah that explains it, Apple are assholes, no more to be said.\ Of all the zillions of words on this subject over the last few weeks, very few mention security. As Flash advocates never tire of telling us it is all over the web, and as celebrity hacker du jour Charlie Miller told us recently, the best way of avoiding having your device compromised is by not installing Flash. All those Flash-free iPhones and soon iPads can at least know that there is one major attack vector they are automatically immune from.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Edit: And consumers don't care. They aren't calling Apple out for not having Flash on the iPhone/iPad, but they do expect content providers to have their content available for them. Content providers realize this and will either get on board or watch someone else eat their lunch.

Did you seriously not even look at the link I posted? It's all right there plain to see: Flash working perfectly on the iphone. Besides that, 10.1 is coming to Android. I won't even make much of a comment on the firefox mobile team: a group of people who utterly abandoned the WM platform because of their own failure.

Baseless assertion? Oh, so Apple doesn't wish to control such a thing. Ok, please show me how that's true. And we're not talking about fetch and send apps here. Flash content over a mobile browser could mean many things, including entire webpages devoted to distributing iphone/ipad specific content on par with what you find in the app store, thus bypassing Apple's control over what content is allowed in the app store. Really, you're going to argue with me on that?

It's funny how you say if they were smart, as if a bunch of morons developed flash lol

What I see here is a bunch of stupid reasons to get rid of something that's not broken, and these stupid reasons stem from misinformation by Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Worried about your paycheck, huh......

Btw, there is no need for the language.

No, I've got a fairly steady paycheck as a fortune cookie writer (BTW, You will inherit some money or a small piece of land.)

Also, I'm fairly certain I'm not the first person to use an adult word around here.