Adjusted for inflation, 43 $499 iPads equal one Apple Lisa

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Ahahahah!!! GoooooOOOOOd!

Keep it coming!!

Apple always delivers the best value for its pricing!
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Dang, think of what I could have bought with 21k. I could've bought myself a nice Honda Civic Si

Yeah but the Civic would only have cost a couple of thousand bucks back then.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I hadn't realized that Newton was $700. I don't recall paying that much back then, but I guess I did.

You can get one for 59.00 plus tax now if you really want another one.

It says its in "rough shape" then again it based on how well it did it was in rough shape the day it was released.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/product...No-Stylus.html
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

20 years from now we could be comparing some magnificent Apple device to the iPad and laughing.

Still?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    I find this comprehension silly.

A iPad today is hardly comparable to what an Apple Lisa was in 1983.

I would even say it has slightly less value than an iPod had, as a product, in 2001.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I find this comprehension silly.

A iPad today is hardly comparable to what an Apple Lisa was in 1983.

I would even say it has slightly less value than an iPod had, as a product, in 2001.

You value of the product having "lightly less value than an iPod" is completely subjective. The graph is merely taking cost of the item when it was released and adjusting the price for inflation. This is not subjective.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    The iPad is overpriced for what one gets, it's all has to do with Apple using high priced, low capacity SSD storage.

The better value is a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

You value of the product having "lightly less value than an iPod" is completely subjective. The graph is merely taking cost of the item when it was released and adjusting the price for inflation. This is not subjective.

Well, it's somewhat subjective. But if you look at what an iPod could do in comprehension to other devices in 2001 you'll see that it could store and play music in a much better way then any other device on the market.

The iPad however, is mainly a new form factor of already existing technology which is already out on the market.

The graph is irrelevant because the listed products isn't economically comparable.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analysis helps to put in perspective the initial cost of the iPad, which starts at $499 for the Wi-Fi-only 16GB model and goes on sale this Saturday. When Apple revealed the iPad in January, arguably the most surprising aspect of the unveiling was the starting price.

And, congratulations, this would be an incomplete conclusion.

Let's please not forget that in 1984, personal computers were a luxury item, with the Lisa being the literal top-dog. Just as iPods have descended from an initially-alarming $399 to a variety of sizes, functions and colors, ranging in price from under a hundred bucks to $600... so too have personal computers. There is absolutely no basis on which to compare the iPad to Apple's models of yesteryear and call it a bargain.

This article is an analytical failure.

-Clive
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

The graph is irrelevant because the listed products isn't economically comparable.

That is because you're reading it wrong. It's simple, it's a list of Apple's products with inflation appended to them. That's it. Nothing magical about that m but it's interesting in and of itself but not something you need to hate on. Like knowing that 100 years ago $500 was $22 due to inflation.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

And, congratulations, this would be an incomplete conclusion.

Let's please not forget that in 1984, personal computers were a luxury item, with the Lisa being the literal top-dog. Just as iPods have descended from an initially-alarming $399 to a variety of sizes, functions and colors, ranging in price from under a hundred bucks to $600... so too have personal computers. There is absolutely no basis on which to compare the iPad to Apple's models of yesteryear and call it a bargain.

This article is an analytical failure.

-Clive

Why is so much being read into this? Where did AI call it "a bargain"? They took products from company and then adjusted for inflation. No one is saying that it's a reason to buy the iPad. It's just a fun thing to do to make inflation relatable.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    But how many mona lisas?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Who cares about the Lisa costing so much. In 1989, the iPad only cost $8!!! This is a terrible article.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

That is because you're reading it wrong. It's simple, it's a list of Apple's products with inflation appended to them. That's it. Nothing magical about that m but it's interesting in and of itself but not something you need to hate on. Like knowing that 100 years ago $500 was $22 due to inflation.

First off, I'm not trying to troll. I'm sorry if you find my view of this article annoying.

Secondly the point I'm trying to make is simply that you can't read anything from this table because it's nonsensical.

If it's only trying to show that electronics has sunk in value in general then OK. I guess

a few persons, who for some reason never heard of that fact might find this table enlightening.

But I seriously doubt it. All digital devices has sunk more or less in value since 1983. Everyone is aware of that (presumably).
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

First off, I'm not trying to troll. I'm sorry if you find my view of this article annoying.

Secondly the point I'm trying to make is simply that you can't read anything from this table because it's nonsensical.

If it's only trying to show that electronics has sunk in value in general then OK. I guess

a few persons, who for some reason never heard of that fact might find this table enlightening.

But I seriously doubt it. All digital devices has sunk more or less in value since 1983. Everyone is aware of that (presumably).

And how would you quantify that in text or n an image in a way that makes it easier to understand that a simple graph showing some comparisons as an example. When i was kid i got sheet showing the price or milk, bread, movies. etc. on my birthday and many dates prior. It was an easy way to wrap your head around a long time of change. That is all it is. We can do the same for movies, and your arguments about this or that has changed would still hold true, but it wouldn't change the fact that inflation exists and it's sometimes cool to see it compared and contrasted.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

And how would you quantify that in text or n an image in a way that makes it easier to understand that a simple graph showing some comparisons as an example. When i was kid i got sheet showing the price or milk, bread, movies. etc. on my birthday and many dates prior. It was an easy way to wrap your head around a long time of change. That is all it is. We can do the same for movies, and your arguments about this or that has changed would still hold true, but it wouldn't change the fact that inflation exists and it's sometimes cool to see it compared and contrasted.

Here's a way ;-) Check this and see how likely this event would have taken place 20 years ago.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1501...hill_ipad.html

Lucky sob's. When I was a boy... aaahh, when I was a boy we were lucky if we didn't get beaten with the abacus...
  • Reply 37 of 46
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

It is what it is. Most of the complaints are because of what the reader either takes from it themselves or what they think AI has made of it.

I find it interesting to see what I paid in the past for bits of Apple hardware in 2010 terms. When I bought a Quadra 700 in 1990 it cost 4400GBPs. It took me several years to pay that off as a student. Today I make 100x my student income and I kvetch about paying $1500 for a refurb MBP 15". How priorities and prices change.

BTW - at the current (1990) exchange rate that was over $8500 which makes the inflation adjusted price about $14K+ - OMFG! Over 3 years, I probably made a bit more than that using it for paid ventures (though most income went on beer etc., not repayments ;-)
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Here's a way ;-) Check this and see how likely this event would have taken place 20 years ago.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1501...hill_ipad.html

It is somewhat expected as schools have been requesting students use Macs with some even requiring them and other giving them to new students. Mostly they seem to give iPod Touches, but the iPad seems like a much better scholastic fit.

I'm still disappointed that the iPad didn't have the education features I wanted, but such is life. Maybe next year.

Quote:

Lucky sob's. When I was a boy... aaahh, when I was a boy we were lucky if we didn't get beaten with the abacus...

Right? I remember getting a cheap bag and notebook with my school's name on it and thinking that was a treat
  • Reply 39 of 46
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Like knowing that 100 years ago $500 was $22 due to inflation.

100 years ago, $20.67 = 1 one ounce of gold by law. Today $1103 = 1 ounce of gold.

So $500 today is worth $9.37 in 1910.

And $500 today had an approximate value of $9 all the way back to 1792. Then in 1913, the Federal Reserve came along...
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Figures this is on the AppleInsider. They do realize technology gets cheaper to produce, right? Did they figure that into their price "adjustments"? Typical marketing ploy. Everyone will soon realize what a useless toy they bought. It's just a portal for Apple so they can reach into your wallet anytime they like.

"You mean I have to carry around this iPad and my laptop? What, I can't video conference on this thing? I need an accessory to read flash memory cards? It doesn't connect to the Internet using a free 3G service? It doesn't support Flash?? I can't use my own accessories? It's basically a really large iPod Touch? I have to pay for all those apps? I have to pay for trial versions of those apps???" ...