Adjusted for inflation, 43 $499 iPads equal one Apple Lisa

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

100 years ago, $20.67 = 1 one ounce of gold by law. Today $1103 = 1 ounce of gold.

So $500 today is worth $9.37 in 1910.

And $500 today had an approximate value of $9 all the way back to 1792. Then in 1913, the Federal Reserve came along...

I used the first inflation calculator I could find and it only went to 2009, which in itself was questionable.

Just for fun I wanted to find out how many bowls of Total® cereal does it take to equal the cost of one $499 iPad.

Total® came out in 1961 Cheerios® was 25¢ in 1961 so I'll use that price. A serving size is 30g. Assuming the serving size hasn't increased since then a 10.6oz box of Total® is 9 bowls per box or 03¢ a bowl. So it would take 16,633 bowls of Total® in 1961 to equal one iPad today. Now do you want milk with that, too?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    So what is this in pounds sterling? Just asking because I find it odd for a UK based advert to be using US dollars.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

When I bought a Quadra 700 in 1990 it cost 4400GBPs. It took me several years to pay that off as a student. Today I make 100x my student income and I kvetch about paying $1500 for a refurb MBP 15". How priorities and prices change.

BTW - at the current (1990) exchange rate that was over $8500 which makes the inflation adjusted price about $14K+ - OMFG! Over 3 years, I probably made a bit more than that using it for paid ventures (though most income went on beer etc., not repayments ;-)

It's even more amazing that you got a quadra 700 in 1990 since they didn't come out for nearly 2 more years.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The iPad is overpriced for what one gets, it's all has to do with Apple using high priced, low capacity SSD storage.

The better value is a MacBook Pro.

Wow, remember when everyone thought it was going to be around $1,000 and people were claiming it wouldn't be a good value at $2,000?

So Steve surprises us all and produces the product at a starting cost of $500. Almost everyone is amazed. *Almost* everyone.

Amazing that people are griping about an entry level price of $500. It just goes to show you that people would still be bitching if Apple had priced it at $99.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right? I remember getting a cheap bag and notebook with my school's name on it and thinking that was a treat

wait, a non-computer notebook? What's that?