iPad attracts developers to App Store, distracts from rival markets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple needs to get the App Store to more platforms. The Apple TV is on obvious platform. Apple should also consider getting them to run on Mac OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And a way for all the direct-multi-touch inputs to be interpreted on a "sideways" mounted display with a different display ratio. I don't see that happening. That is just a money pit of an idea.

However, I do feel that the iPhone OS, sans Cocoa Touch, and the A4 chip used in the iPad would be a great foundation for the next AppleTV, AirPort Extreme Base Station , Time Capsule, and a new product category for an Apple Home Server with 3-5 3.5" HDDs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Controller exists:

today - iPhone/iPod touch

tomorrow - iPad.

I'm thinking hardware buttons. Software buttons wont work when you are looking at the TV.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Apple found they're market.

Apple found their market.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Apple found they're market.

Apple found they are market? LOL. All their market are belong to us?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Apple found their market.

I think he meant to say, Apple found the market. That is, they either created it, or if it was there in some form in the first place, they made it a true viable market.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

... I will be buying Pages and Keynote for the iPad as they are on my Mac. But, there is nothing to stop any developer from ... providing some competition. ...

I agree.

Also, any smart developer could have seen the tablets coming a mile off and already been working on a word processor. The basic stuff needed to make a word processor on iPhone OS has been there or at least a year and a half already.

I already do a heck of a lot of writing and word processing on my iPhone. I've tried several apps in the store for this purpose and settled on "Notebooks," which is actually quite horrible, but the best of a bad lot.

The point is that anyone that seriously wanted to get a foot in the door for word processing on this new platform could have done it ages ago and had an iPad app all ready for the launch as well. Just because they didn't do it, or didn't think of it, doesn't make Apple evil.

Those developers that *didn't* do it, or *didn't* think of it shouldn't feel too bad though. This is a boat that Microsoft has seriously and completely missed as well. By the time Office for iPad is out and working even half-assed, iWorks will be in use by millions.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Once the iPad takes off then the next logical step is for Apple is updating the AppleTV to run iPad applications. However that will mean that Apple will need to develop a wireless controller.

Hand gestures and a remote that resembles the magic mouse...
  • Reply 27 of 35
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Unfortunately, not everyone is so cognizant.

Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 28 of 35
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This one:-

http://www.htc.com/europe/product/magic/gallery.html

Take note of the "with Google" on the back, indicating a Google experience phone.

The HTC Magic was originally released with Android v1.0. The bare minimum that users have seen is v1.5, with most enjoying v1.6. Prince McLean is suggesting that many Android phones get zero updates. That's untrue.

Even Abster2core's link shows that the majority of Android phones are upgradeable to at least v1.6.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple needs to get the App Store to more platforms. The Apple TV is on obvious platform. Apple should also consider getting them to run on Mac OS X.

An AppleTV SDK and App Store I'm all for, just not porting of iPhone/iPad apps to the AppleTV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The HTC Magic was originally released with Android v1.0. The bare minimum that users have seen is v1.5, with most enjoying v1.6. Prince McLean is suggesting that many Android phones get zero updates. That's untrue.

Even Abster2core's link shows that the majority of Android phones are upgradeable to at least v1.6.

Is it? It looks like a lot of devices are coming with v1.6 and not progressing.
    But that isn't even the crux of the issue. Who cares if it gets a minor update from v1.5 to v1.6 or it finally gets an update months or every year after other phones are shipping with it. It's inconsistent and does not show any support from the vendor or carrier.

Even the G1/Dream is stuck at v1.6 with word that even would not happen. Where is v2.0 or v2.1 for this phone that came out in late October 2008. The original iPhone came out in July 2007 and still has gone from v1.0 to v2.0 to v3.0 and every point update in between.

Here is another article on the fragmentation issue and Google's acknoledgement of the problem and what they plan to do about it.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...Android_surges

And to pick a nit...

Daniel you say that WP7 devices are designed to run SilverLight and Flash apps. I thought it was SilverLight (from Windows) and XNA (from Xbox 360). Only managed code to be run on WP7. Flash won't be available initially.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I think he meant to say, Apple found the market. That is, they either created it, or if it was there in some form in the first place, they made it a true viable market.

I doubt it, it was too intentionally wrong. Sadly, I think the poster is one of the large number of people who seem to be unaware of the correct use of English grammar:

They're = they are. We can also use it to attribute ownership as in "Steve and Woz started Apple - it was their company". And let's not get into there as well ...

It's the same as the way that so many posters on so many sites have no idea when to use apostrophes, especially in its and it's. But this is hardly news - it's just the ways things are. \
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

I doubt it, it was too intentionally wrong. Sadly, I think the poster is one of the large number of people who seem to be unaware of the correct use of English grammar:

They're = they are. We can also use it to attribute ownership as in "Steve and Woz started Apple - it was their company". And let's not get into there as well ...

It's the same as the way that so many posters on so many sites have no idea when to use apostrophes, especially in its and it's. But this is hardly news - it's just the ways things are. \

I can't side with you on this one.

I must say that when I saw it I immediately took it as I stated.

True, bastardization of languages, and not only English seems to have gotten worse. I guess it is primarily because of the company in which we keep ourselves.

There is a good possibility that the poster's first language is not English, he is young, his language skills are lacking for whatever reason, etc.

I don't feel that we should admonish anyone for poor grammar or spelling errors. However, when errors are committed, a simple notification and a correction or sample thereof would be more appropriate. If anything, it can only help ensure that the message is being better understood in the first place.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

I contend that Prince McLean did not suggest that at all.

As was stated in the article and please read it carefully, i.e.,

Quote:

Many Android phones (as well as smartphones from other alternative platforms) are also stuck running the version of the OS they shipped with, thanks to apathetic mobile operators who lose interest in supporting upgrades after making the sale, if not for actual limitations in the hardware that make upgrades impossible.

the issue is more like the owner is left on his own. Unlike Apple who makes it a point of attempt to notify everyone that buys an iPhone and makes the upgrade process far easier than any other smartphone.

Problem is, and I see it every day , there are even a significant number of iPhone users that simply do not connect via iTunes on a frequent basis and thus are not up-to-date. Hate to see where the Android users are in this respect, but I imagine it is far worse.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Apple should continue to expand MobileMe value with the advent of future "iOS" devices by giving developers an API that connects an application to MobileMe. For example, on the new iPad, files will be stored by each individual app (new iWork will do this) - MobileMe could potentially exist as an online backup function for these files. All it would have to do is confirm to a user to share the key, like on the Macintosh.

Wouldn't that be great?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This is the problem with some AppleInsider articles (and the problem appears greatest with two particular authors) -- factish sounding assertions that are either completely untrue or are really just speculation. I generally like this site, but this tendency towards dishonesty does not help me as a reader.

Quote:

I didn't notice it until some other posters pointed it out, but I can now spot a Prince McLean article without reading the byline a few paragraphs in nearly every time. Good writer, but a complete Cupertino homer.

I would compare his M.O. to a Steve Jobs keynote - weaving a spell which starts off factually enough, but going on to create a scenario in which only Apple can do no wrong and will triumph in the end.

i.e., PM(o)RDF: "Prince McClean's (own) Reality Distortion Field."

A shame because with a bit more objectivity his articles would be among the best on most Apple sites.