Apple's iPhone 4.0 to support multitasking via Expose-like interface

Comments

• Reply 261 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right on! Good for you! This place blows! It's hilarious, isn't it, how the fan boys and sheep waste their time lying to each other! Apple Insider is a nauseating cesspool of sheep and idiots.

What I'd like to know is why is it when someone gets mad, and inadvertently refers to someone as an "idiot" they are banned for two weeks, but people like addabox can spew vitriol like this and get away with it.

If an "ad hominem attack" is calling someone a name, doesn't constantly calling people "fan boys" qualify? And given that a "boi" is originally and actually a term for certain types of gay females, isn't it almost borderline hate speech when someone thinks they will be extra cool by spelling it that way?

Also, specifically about this post. Here addabox has deliberately said that everyone on the forum is a "sheep" or an "idiot." How is that not exactly the same thing? Why is this okay, but an "ad hominem attack" is somehow crossing the line? This makes no sense.

Either AppleInsider should stop pretending that calling someone a name is really any different from this kind of thing or they should be banning multiple dozens of people a day.

I know that I can easily cut someone to ribbons verbally without *technically* calling them a name, and I've had it done to me as well. It just seems stupid to let this kind of stuff stand from someone who rarely has anything relevant to say and then ban some of those that contribute a lot to the debate, but maybe slip one day and use that "idiot" word.

I mean, really. We are all adults. Banning people for crossing the "ad hominem" line is so 1994 and doesn't actually end up giving the result an admin is looking for, which is intelligent and (mostly) reasonable debate.

Please either start banning everyone who is being a jerk *regardless* of whether it's "ad hominem, or stop pretending that if someone says someone else is an idiot or a jerk that it's going to ruin their life or drag the debate down. "teckstud" spewed hatred on a daily basis, hundreds of posts a week, for months and months before he was banned.
  • Reply 262 of 293
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What I'd like to know is why is it when someone gets mad, and inadvertently refers to someone as an "idiot" they are banned for two weeks, but people like addabox can spew vitriol like this and get away with it.

If an "ad hominem attack" is calling someone a name, doesn't constantly calling people "fan boys" qualify? And given that a "boi" is originally and actually a term for certain types of gay females, isn't it almost borderline hate speech when someone thinks they will be extra cool by spelling it that way?

Also, specifically about this post. Here addabox has deliberately said that everyone on the forum is a "sheep" or an "idiot." How is that not exactly the same thing? Why is this okay, but an "ad hominem attack" is somehow crossing the line? This makes no sense.

Either AppleInsider should stop pretending that calling someone a name is really any different from this kind of thing or they should be banning multiple dozens of people a day.

I know that I can easily cut someone to ribbons verbally without *technically* calling them a name, and I've had it done to me as well. It just seems stupid to let this kind of stuff stand from someone who rarely has anything relevant to say and then ban some of those that contribute a lot to the debate, but maybe slip one day and use that "idiot" word.

I mean, really. We are all adults. Banning people for crossing the "ad hominem" line is so 1994 and doesn't actually end up giving the result an admin is looking for, which is intelligent and (mostly) reasonable debate.

Please either start banning everyone who is being a jerk *regardless* of whether it's "ad hominem, or stop pretending that if someone says someone else is an idiot or a jerk that it's going to ruin their life or drag the debate down. "teckstud" spewed hatred on a daily basis, hundreds of posts a week, for months and months before he was banned.

Thank you. My point exactly.
  • Reply 263 of 293
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) Addabox's comments weren't directed at one in particular. It was clearly scoffing at the rules of the terms of the board so he phrased his posts to specifically not be a direct attack, but indirect attacks to make a point.

2) "boy" or "boi" originally being defined as type of lesbian is pretty "gay" or "gai". Seriously though, the origin of boy and gay are both unknown as far as I can tell and boy never referred to "gay females", and I've been an etymology enthusiast since I was a harlot*. Even if it was, an unknown, archaic definition would not be relevant.

3) Teckstud's name may have been banned but he's alive and well on these forums. See my sig.

* See what I did there?
  • Reply 264 of 293
    [QUOTE=Prof. Peabody;1601906]

The real underlying problem is that AppleInsider uses crappy software for this forum.

As an example, the word "AppleInsider" has a squiggly red line under it, indicating a misspelling. Same with iPhone! And iPad!

They are unable to ban anybody. Ever. They have no tools to do so.
  • Reply 265 of 293
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple has sold millions of iPhones without multitasking. I think it's pretty clear by now that normal users don't care. The tech-wannabes do but not the general public.

Exactly. I bought an iPhone on the first day it was released and upgraded to version 2 the next year. I use my iPhone heavily for email, text, music, etc, etc, etc. Yet I can't think of a SINGLE time when I wished it had multitasking.

Frankly, if it's configurable, I'll probably just leave it off - since it will undoubtedly affect performance and battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

If anyone thinks this will in any way silence the critics they are sorely mistaken. The critics will always find something to bitch about. Multitasking on the iPhone will probably not be implemented in the way critics want it to be so they will still have a hard-on for Apple and its products. Never fear, Apple critics are never satisfied, ever.

You've got it. Fortunately, that crowd doesn't consider ANY complaint to be minor, so they'll never run out. The other great thing about the Apple haters is that they don't have any problem constantly contradicting themselves - they can complain that a device is too big AND too small at the same time. They can complain that it supports open standards at the same time they complain that it doesn't support Flash. They can complain that it's too heavy and in the next breath complain that it's too light.

I am constantly amazed at the crowd of people who spend countless hours complaining about Apple products on boards like this. You can understand someone LIKING a product and wanting to talk about it, but what motivates someone to spend their entire life bad-mouthing a product they've never used, never plan to use and even BRAG about not using.
  • Reply 266 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster

inconthevable!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I jutht thought he wath thpeaking Cathtillian Thpanith!

• Reply 267 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I am constantly amazed at the crowd of people who spend countless hours complaining about Apple products on boards like this. You can understand someone LIKING a product and wanting to talk about it, but what motivates someone to spend their entire life bad-mouthing a product they've never used, never plan to use and even BRAG about not using.

You ever hear of paid-to-play [sic]?

• Reply 268 of 293
    Palm webOS does multi-tasking/apping elegantly. From what I'm reading here, Apple's solution is not as slick or quick to do.

I'm an Apple fanboy, but the Palm webOS has Apple beat here. Couldn't wait any longer for the iPhone on Verizon. No regrets with the the Palm Pre Plus.
  • Reply 269 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredsedzed View Post

Palm webOS does multi-tasking/apping elegantly. From what I'm reading here, Apple's solution is not as slick or quick to do.

I'm an Apple fanboy, but the Palm webOS has Apple beat here. Couldn't wait any longer for the iPhone on Verizon. No regrets with the the Palm Pre Plus.

Palm's basic multitasking solution has been in the iPhone since the start. That is, the way you change pages in Safari. Remember that WebOS is a WebKit-based OS. I do like their multitasking front end and agree that it's elegant, but the rest of it isn't so hot.
  • Reply 270 of 293
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

Funny, Nokia had that same interface in S60/Symbian in 2002. Who is copying who?

Nah. Even if it turns out to be similar, it'll have a subtle difference, that fanboys will declare as being "revolutionary". My bet though is that it'll be unique.

On The topic of multitasking and notifications, do many of you guys really think that multitasking is not useful? Or that it's difficult to implement it in a way that you can easily access and manage the background tasks? It's been done for years on Symbian for example (as jody pointed out). It's as simple as pressing and holding the home button, which gives you an icon list of running apps to select and manage. Maemo extends this with small previews (exposé/win7 style). Loads of things wrong with Symbian UI and App ecosystem, but there are some good things there as well if you just look.

Battery life I'm willing to buy as an argument especially for data heavy tasks.

I'll give you a real life example of a bad use case scenario on an iPhone due to lack of multitasking (plenty other valid ones exist) that I experience regularly when tyring to keep in contact with a few iPhone using friends of mine. When travelling roaming charges are horrible. I use skype instead to talk to a mate over WiFi. It becomes pretty annoying, when an incoming SMS forces skype to quit and drop the call. That is really annoying and gives a bad user experience.

Regs, Jarkko

Off topic: How about the alarm clock in current iPhone SW release. If I set an alarm and then power off the phone, will it wake up at the alarm and wake me up as well? This functionality is a godsend when travelling and jetlag hits you and you don't want someone to call you in the dead of night claiming "we have a superior offer on our magazine if you order now" and is a feature I personally can't live without.
  • Reply 271 of 293
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Addabox's comments weren't directed at one in particular. It was clearly scoffing at the rules of the terms of the board so he phrased his posts to specifically not be a direct attack, but indirect attacks to make a point.

2) "boy" or "boi" originally being defined as type of lesbian is pretty "gay" or "gai". Seriously though, the origin of boy and gay are both unknown as far as I can tell and boy never referred to "gay females", and I've been an etymology enthusiast since I was a harlot*. Even if it was, an unknown, archaic definition would not be relevant.

3) Teckstud's name may have been banned but he's alive and well on these forums. See my sig.

* See what I did there?

I know your the guy here that goes out of his way to be some kind of kind old wise man, but you take it too far sometimes IMO. You are a smart person obviously, but perhaps your starting to believe that your own reviews to the point that you think you have the answer for everything. Jut because you say something doesn't make it true.

to answer your "points" ...

1) The way I read it addabox's comments were clearly directed at the entire forum. He said as much explicitly. You may interpret it as not being aimed at anyone, but that's just your interpretation. addabox has a long history on this forum of making homophobic remarks, insulting people and generally just being angry and negative. He's also smart, and once in a while when the anger is kept in check has something to say, but mostly it's just vitriol in my experience.

2) The second point you make simply misreads what I said. You are talking about "boy," when I was talking about "boi." A "boi" is a lesbian that dresses as a man. It's pretty much always been that way as long as I remember. We're talking pop culture definitions and urban slang here, not etymology.

3) You make a great noise all the time about thinking you can figure out who the people are behind al the masks here, but unless you are one of those running the forum (and probably not even then) you actually *don't* know any more than the rest of us, which alts teckstud runs, or who is who.

Overall you seem like a smart decent sort of person but you really might be better served by remembering that you are a human being with opinions, not a wise old man delivering pure truth from the clouds, and that you can easily be, (and probably often are) as wrong as anyone.
  • Reply 272 of 293
    Quote:

I know your the guy here that goes out of his way to be some kind of kind old wise man, but you take it too far sometimes IMO. You are a smart person obviously, but perhaps your starting to believe that your own reviews to the point that you think you have the answer for everything. Jut because you say something doesn't make it true.

to answer your "points" ...

1) The way I read it addabox's comments were clearly directed at the entire forum. He said as much explicitly. You may interpret it as not being aimed at anyone, but that's just your interpretation. addabox has a long history on this forum of making homophobic remarks, insulting people and generally just being angry and negative. He's also smart, and once in a while when the anger is kept in check has something to say, but mostly it's just vitriol in my experience.

2) The second point you make simply misreads what I said. You are talking about "boy," when I was talking about "boi." A "boi" is a lesbian that dresses as a man. It's pretty much always been that way as long as I remember. We're talking pop culture definitions and urban slang here, not etymology.

3) You make a great noise all the time about thinking you can figure out who the people are behind al the masks here, but unless you are one of those running the forum (and probably not even then) you actually *don't* know any more than the rest of us, which alts teckstud runs, or who is who.

Overall you seem like a smart decent sort of person but you really might be better served by remembering that you are a human being with opinions, not a wise old man delivering pure truth from the clouds, and that you can easily be, (and probably often are) as wrong as anyone.

Wait, what? Long history of homophobic remarks? Are you drunk? And I'm the one with a problem with insulting people?

And If you've managed to form such a nuanced opinion of my posting history, how is it that you missed the fact that the post you're so worried about was a complete contradiction of my usual tone? Didn't imply anything to you?
  • Reply 273 of 293
    Quote:

The way I read it addabox's comments were clearly directed at the entire forum.

It sounds like you didn't read the reply he made to JeffDM that started his satirical posts on this thread.

Quote:

addabox has a long history on this forum of making homophobic remarks, insulting people and generally just being angry and negative.

I've never seen any evidence of that in the 4 years I've been participating in this forum. Just because he mentors deaf children at a Catholic school is no reason to....

Quote:

The second point you make simply misreads what I said. You are talking about "boy," when I was talking about "boi." A "boi" is a lesbian that dresses as a man. It's pretty much always been that way as long as I remember. We're talking pop culture definitions and urban slang here, not etymology.

You wrote " is originally and actually". I can't see another way of interpreting that to mean origin. Adding actually makes it sound authoritative. If we're talking about pop culture then demotic, colloquial, vernacular parlance, would have all been better choices if for some reason slang sounded to pedestrian. I've never heard or seen written that heterograph usage.

Quote:

You make a great noise all the time about thinking you can figure out who the people are behind al the masks here, but unless you are one of those running the forum (and probably not even then) you actually *don't* know any more than the rest of us, which alts teckstud runs, or who is who.

Not all, just some, and unless they've swapped accounts the ones in my sig are correct. If you want to get down to a philosophical discussion about what we can and can't know my username already beat you to it.

You can't know that I am the same person between posts but you can learn writing styles and methodologies to know that the likelihood is high enough that you wouldn't question it. With longstanding posters getting banned and then creating new account almost immediately after with identical posting habits and writing styles as the previous handle is pretty damn convincing.

Quote:

but you really might be better served by remembering that you are a human being.

Don't say such things.
  • Reply 274 of 293
    Quote:

It sounds like you didn't read the reply he made to JeffDM that started his satirical posts on this thread.

Thank you, although how anyone got that wrong is worrying.... Is there possibly some kind of grudge action I'm not aware of?

Quote:

I've never seen any evidence of that in the 4 years I've been participating in this forum. Just because he mentors deaf children at a Catholic school is no reason to....

Yikes, I actually do work at a Catholic School. Does it help that it's groovy San Francisco liberation theology Catholics?

Quote:

You wrote " is originally and actually". I can't see another way of interpreting that to mean origin. Adding actually makes it sound authoritative. If we're talking about pop culture then demotic, colloquial, vernacular parlance, would have all been better choices if for some reason slang sounded to pedestrian. I've never heard or seen written that heterograph usage.

Do you have the sense that we've wandered into an episode of the Twilight Zone?

Quote:

Not all, just some, and unless they've swapped accounts the ones in my sig are correct. If you want to get down to a philosophical discussion about what we can and can't know my username already beat you to it.

You can't know that I am the same person between posts but you can learn writing styles and methodologies to know that the likelihood is high enough that you wouldn't question it. With longstanding posters getting banned and then creating new account almost immediately after with identical posting habits and writing styles as the previous handle is pretty damn convincing.

Don't say such things.

And in the case of iGenius and Teckstud, duh. Although I kinda like the idea that noticing the obvious identity swap is a sign of a messiah complex, or something. Did someone put something in the water?
  • Reply 275 of 293
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Funny that you are discussing this with this particular alt, as it is Gazoobee with a new alt. He was banned for making ad homs and opened this one immediately afterwards. Looking over his 27 posts since, it doesn't appear any lessons were learned.
  • Reply 276 of 293
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Bannings rarely happen for a single incident unless it was way out of line. They usually occur after a pattern is shown, for instance for calling people names instead of trying to further a conversation.

There is a difference, and should be, in how AI should respond to posters that overtly insult others (for instance by calling them names) and posters that simply imply certain notions. Self-control goes a long way to making the forums better and not getting banned.

In the end your rant sounds like sour grapes from someone that was perhaps unable to control their words and ended up with a ban (whether it was calling someone an a-hole or an idiot isn't that important).
  • Reply 277 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Funny that you are discussing this with this particular alt, as it is Gazoobee with a new alt. He was banned for making ad homs and opened this one immediately afterwards. Looking over his 27 posts since, it doesn't appear any lessons were learned.

Is that who that is. I thought it might be another regular to the forum, but as explained only ones I knew I made mention of.
  • Reply 278 of 293
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Off topic: How about the alarm clock in current iPhone SW release. If I set an alarm and then power off the phone, will it wake up at the alarm and wake me up as well? This functionality is a godsend when travelling and jetlag hits you and you don't want someone to call you in the dead of night claiming "we have a superior offer on our magazine if you order now" and is a feature I personally can't live without.

On the iPhone, you can set it to airplane mode (to stop any interruptions), then set the alarm clock, and let it go to sleep. It will wake you.
  • Reply 279 of 293
    Quote:

Is that who that is. I thought it might be another regular to the forum, but as explained only ones I knew I made mention of.

Hmmm, I was thinking that the weird animosity sounded like someone holding a grudge older than the post count.
  • Reply 280 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Where do you get the no virtual memory thing from? You obviously have ZERO clue on this fact. It's OS X! Of course it has virtual memory, it's predominant difference is it has a different GUI structure.

Yes, I have a clue. Sigh. Save me from idiots who think they can read technical documents.

Here:

To manage program memory, iPhone OS uses essentially the same virtual memory system found in Mac OS X. In iPhone OS, each program still has its own virtual address space, but (unlike Mac OS X) its usable virtual memory is constrained by the amount of physical memory available. This is because iPhone OS does not write volatile pages to disk when memory gets full. Instead, the virtual memory system frees up volatile memory, as needed, to make sure the running application has the space it needs. It does this by removing memory pages that are not being used and that contain read-only contents, such as code pages. Such pages can always be loaded back into memory later if they are needed again.

Notice the bold? It means that the only thing the iPhone's "virtual memory" is good for is not consuming free memory for loading in pages of code. (Edit: Well, and separating address spaces. But that should be obvious, even to you.) In terms of expanding the amount of memory available to the system so it could run multiple applications, there is no virtual memory.

Don't be such a dumbass: start by assuming people know what they're talking about.