Apple's iPhone 4.0 to support multitasking via Expose-like interface

1568101115

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post


    Android is programmed in Java. There is no manual memory management model in Java.



    Oh! So, a good programmer could write a better multitasking app for the iPhone than for Android.



    I guess that might be one of the reasons that Apple is deemphasizing Java support.



    *
  • Reply 142 of 293
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post


    Again I ask: if it will be included at the iPad's launch, then why hasn't it been detailed like the rest of the functionality?



    System wide printing is not there, the file sharing is. As I understand it, you can enable sharing on an app, then when you connect the iPhone your your computer that app shows up as a drive (or folder within a larger iPhone drive, not sure) that you can add files to or remove files from.
  • Reply 143 of 293
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schammy View Post


    Nice spin. First off, to install non-market apps, you have to go find a deeply-buried system preference to enable this feature. And it explicitly warns you to the dangers of enabling that feature.



    Second, sure this could be exploited - but what it's really about is allowing people to develop any software they want for the platform without having to rely on Google's approval to be put in the market place.



    You've all read the horror stories of iPhone developers being shunned by Apple and having no recourse, right? With Android, that's no big deal. You don't have to put your app in the official market at all. You can put it on your web site and anyone in the world can download and install it. That's powerful.



    Ya know, just like you do with your desktop computer. You're presumably smart enough not to download and install software from sources you don't trust. Imagine if on your iMac or Macbook Pro, you could only download and install apps that Apple itself has "approved" - pretty ridiculous right? Well that's what Apple does with the iPhone, and I don't see how anyone could possibly deem that acceptable.



    Android is an open platform, that's one of its big strengths. You can install anything you want on it. Can't say the same thing for the iPhone because you can only install stuff from the App store that Apple has approved. But somehow Apple fans see this as a good thing? Right....



    Personally, I've never put my hands on an Android phone so I'll take your word on the features and advantages there. However, I honestly don't think the closed nature of the iPhone is comparable to the more open nature of Mac OS X. The reason is that computers are devices that people rely upon, but are almost expected to have problems of some kind. These problems may be in the form of viruses, lousy Internet connection, application bugs, etc. I think most people view their phones more like a utility and as such it has a higher level of expectation to work. This makes taking extra pains to keep it secure are not unreasonable.



    The other issue here is user cost. Specifically, there is the possibility that someone could "hijack" your phone to make calls that you are then responsible for the charges for. This is another completely valid reason to take the security of this device to greater extremes than a computer. I think a part of Apple's goal here is to help shield consumers from someone writing an app that would basically be a backdoor to route calls to China thru. Imagine getting a $1000 phone bill with numerous long distance calls to China that you have never made but appear to have originated from your phone. And yes, I also agree that Apple is in business for Apple and the App Store is a money making endeavor.
  • Reply 144 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schammy View Post


    Here's another vote. Android's multitasking works great. I don't know where these other 200 votes are you speak of, but my guess is they're all from iPhone users who have never touched an Android device.



    Indeed most commenters on this site are far too blinded by what they perceive as the ONLY great technology available. Sad. There is such a loathsome dearth of objectivity on this site at times, it's positively nauseating.



    I have had all three versions of the Iphone in as many years. All jailbroken. About six months ago, I bought a Mytouch just to see what the deal was with Android. I now have the Nexus One and am pretty sure there is nothing that Apple can offer to sway me back. There is just too much that goes against their walled garden. Fine for some, not for others. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Iphone.
  • Reply 145 of 293
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    The iPhone OS has an existing facility that could to resolve the Yelp-to-Map-to-Yelp issue:



    1) One app can launch another app and pass it information. At present the launching app terminates.

    2) The launched app starts and can recognize the fact that it was launched by another and has been passed some information

    3) The launched app does its thing then could relaunch the original app (or any other app in a daisy-chain) and pass results to it.



    A variation of this would allow an app to show, say, a list of an artists albums for sale, to access the iTunes stores (Music, App, Books); browse/buy items; then return as if you never left the original app.




    Now this is something that I could get behind. Basically one app calls another app, but instead of the normal transition (fading out the current app, fading in the called app), it would slide in from the right as if you are just going into another page of the current app. There would be a button with the original app's name on it, similar to a "Back" button. So when you are finished with the called app, you just hit the back button (which has the application's name on it) to go back to the original app. Or hitting the Home button would kill both apps.



    It doesn't address all instances of multi-tasking, but works well for this particular instance.
  • Reply 146 of 293
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    Now all of a sudden multi-tasking is cool, isn't it guys?



    It's so funny how these things (like copy and paste) are looked at with great disdain up until Apple actually implements it.



    From here on out: Stop making excuses for why Apple has left something out. Start thinking for yourself. Artificial limitations require no excuse other than the fact that development hasn't reached that point yet.



    The next time someone bitches about the ipad or iphone missing something, don't try to come up with some bogus excuse for why it's not there. You're not fooling anyone.



    Actually, it's mostly because no one else does it right.

    We look at a tablet and say, "those are senseless!" Apple makes it right, we say "It's incredible!"

    We look at copy and paste and say, "We don't need it if it looks the way everyone else does it!" Apple Does it right, we say "It is fabulous!

    We look at multitasking and say, "I can do without it if it will destroy the battery life and great experience I'm having." Apple does it right and we say, "It will increase our productivity immensely!"

    etc. etc. etc.



    Just because we ridicule current features of smartphones that we don't currently have, doesn't mean we don't want them. It merely means that we are content to wait until it is done right to take advantage of it. I don't want to ride in a personal jet pack if they catch on fire 20% of the time and can cause you headaches for weeks after. I'll wait 'til someone gets it right before embarking on the future of tech.
  • Reply 147 of 293
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    Couldn't the app developers just do that themselves? I guess an Apple provided solution would be more consistent.



    I think that is correct
  • Reply 148 of 293
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    No, we just look down upon knee-jerk, badly designed, hack implementations, rushed in to fulfill geek wet dreams and feature check-lists.



    I'm glad Apple waited until they had a proper copy/paste solution, and I frankly don't care about 'multi-tasking'. Fast application switching? Sure. But my life hasn't suffered one bit for having to click one extra time occasionally.



    We just don't think its worth frothing at the mouth the way 'some' do. (hint).



    Riiiight, that's what it is. It's not calling the phone the best phone ever then dismissing why people have legitimate reasons not to call it that.



    It's a bit hypocritical to call the iphone the best, then say features are coming, but then turn around and dismiss something like the Palm Pre for lacking things that are being developed, don't you think? I'm just using that as an example BTW. So for Apple products, it's worth the incredibly long wait, but for other products, it's garbage that doesn't have a chance.



    And you all can say these are strawman arguments, but I'm going on what the majority of people say on articles the around here.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post


    Seriously, you are on an Apple fan site and you want Apple fans to be as cynical and myopic as you are. SO a quick check back doesn't show any disdain only patience while Apple sorts out how its going to be implemented (for the most part). From here on out, try more "man" and less "straw" in your commentary. Making observations on what the possible reason for Apple doing, or not doing something, or whether or not that particular thing is desireable is not making excuses. And asking everyone else to agree with you and labelling it as "thinking for yourself" is as egomaniacal as it comes sunshine.





    No, not at all. What I expect is for people to stop touting things as something they aren't. "Well Steve Jobs says that" Oh STEVE JOBS said that, did he?



    Case in point: Multitasking. This rumor is very hard to believe because Steve Jobs constantly said multitasking was such a drain on the device. He sold this notion so well that people have absolutely no idea how well multitasking actually is on other devices. They convince themselves it's a bad thing they don't need, and that the iphone is actually BETTER for not having it. Now here comes this news that it's coming, which flies right in the face of what everyone was saying, and now what's the excuse? "Well if Apple's doing it, no doubt it'll be the best and it won't be a drain like the other devices."



    Stop with the bullshit. If the iphone is missing a feature, don't convince yourself you never wanted that feature just to stay happy with the device. It's a great phone, but it's ok to say it's lacking. It's ok to not repeat everything Steve Jobs says.



    I see the same thing happening with Flash. Whether it's a year from now or 10 years from now, Apple will some day have a device that supports Flash, and the whole tone will change. I have no reason NOT to believe such a thing because the exact same thing has happened now quite a few times.





    Now, personally, this is a selling point for me. While some might have convinced themselves multitasking is horrible and they don't need it, I've actually grown so accustomed to using it that it's really something that's kept me away. This is the type of news I like because it means I'll start looking at the iphone as a viable upgrade in the future.
  • Reply 149 of 293
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post


    And Apple defenders are never ashamed of throwing egg on themselves and backtracking.



    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.



    Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody wants native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.



    Apple will not make a 3G iPhone. Nobody cares about 3G.



    Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS.



    Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.



    Apple will never switch to Intel processors.



    And these same people probably like to make fun of Bill Gates' famous "Nobody needs more than 640K of RAM" statement.



    We've already been through this before, please stop.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    People who make lists like this are assholes.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    People from certain countries are inbred yokels.



    Come on now, is this really necessary?
  • Reply 150 of 293
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


    Tell me about it!



    Just as "There's always a bigger fish" it's also true that

    "just when you think you're a pedant, you realise you've not been pedantic enough"!





    Fair cop and who says one doesn't get an education on this site!



    Keep fighting the good fight brother!
  • Reply 151 of 293
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    Actually, it's mostly because no one else does it right.

    We look at a tablet and say, "those are senseless!" Apple makes it right, we say "It's incredible!"

    We look at copy and paste and say, "We don't need it if it looks the way everyone else does it!" Apple Does it right, we say "It is fabulous!

    We look at multitasking and say, "I can do without it if it will destroy the battery life and great experience I'm having." Apple does it right and we say, "It will increase our productivity immensely!"

    etc. etc. etc.



    Just because we ridicule current features of smartphones that we don't currently have, doesn't mean we don't want them. It merely means that we are content to wait until it is done right to take advantage of it. I don't want to ride in a personal jet pack if they catch on fire 20% of the time and can cause you headaches for weeks after. I'll wait 'til someone gets it right before embarking on the future of tech.



    You pretty much summed it up perfectly. "It's crap unless Apple makes it" is definitely a statement I can understand from Apple fans.



    Thank you for at least being honest about it
  • Reply 152 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post


    Hmm.

    Article doesn't address the most important aspect of App multi-tasking; "Quit"

    If I have to manually Quit my stupid little stock app each and every time I just want a quick check of the market; or a quick check of the weather, then this will suck.



    I'm guessing pressing the home button once, like now, will Quit the app. But pressing it twice will open Exposé for you to switch to another app and keep the existing one running.



    So if you want to quickly check a stock and Quit you'll do it exactly as you do now.



    You're welcome.
  • Reply 153 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post


    Just hopping off the Pedant Express at Grammar Central to point it out it really should be Exposé. All right all right I'm going.



    That's a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake.
  • Reply 154 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    Youtube videos are not intended to be downloaded. I know it can be done, but doing so breaks the Terms of Service. Not having an app to do that is not a valid complaint. Hopefully the iDisk app does improve though.



    Enough with the Terms of Service malarkey. It's Ok to say YouTube doesn't want people storing YT videos locally.
  • Reply 155 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post


    I guess this finally means the overworked Home button can get some much-needed rest.



    That'd either sarcasm or you didn't read the article.
  • Reply 156 of 293
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    Maybe they'll even get music playing both via the iPod and via Pandora simultaneously.



    There is already an element of prevention against this. When you play something in the iPod app and launch an app that produces sound itself the app can request the iPod to stop playing (I have one app which does this during its startup routine, but I have others that don't do it).
  • Reply 157 of 293
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That's a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake.



    That's as maybe, but you have to alight at Grammar Central to get to Spelling Street. Besides, I don't see what all the fuss is about in this thread. Everyone knows that only women can multi-task.
  • Reply 158 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    It's a valid complaint. breaking terms of service has nothing to do with being a valid complaint.



    I wish I could break into banks and steal a million without getting arrested. That's my complaint. Is it invalid? I think not.



    That's not even a complaint.
  • Reply 159 of 293
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    You pretty much summed it up perfectly. "It's crap unless Apple makes it" is definitely a statement I can understand from Apple fans.



    Thank you for at least being honest about it



    Most of the time, that statement is true. Not always, but very often. Not necessarily cr*p either, just not the best. Ford isn't trash, but they're not Mercedes. We're not saying that other people may not be happy with their Ford, just that we won't settle for less than a Mercedes.



    P.S. I always make a point to be honest.
  • Reply 160 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    I don't think accents count as punctuation either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation)

    Most generally this would rather be a job for the spelling police, or maybe a job for a diacritic.





    Go to SafariEditSpecial Characters → PunctuationLine 6Item 4, and tell me what you think!
Sign In or Register to comment.