When is Apple Insider going to start to put their foot down?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

You guys do good work around here!

If they are getting rid of you they are doing just fine.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I'm not such a big poster here, but I do read almost everything, as I do many forums. I have to say it's the same everywhere. Trolls are here to stay.

Not for long. We hope.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

You guys do good work around here!

Ho Ho. Like I said, I'm a busy guy. Didn't have time to do it when I posted before. Bye!
  • Reply 64 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    For example of the kind of taunting and general surliness as discussed above, this recent post by "iLoki":

Quote:

The shattered hopes and dreams of every MacHead from here to Timbuktu or an idiot fanboi's delight?

And pretty much is posting in that vein having recently registered. Let's nip these types in the bud.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Ho Ho. Like I said, I'm a busy guy. Didn't have time to do it when I posted before. Bye!

Strong work. That's addition by subtraction.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

For example of the kind of taunting and general surliness as discussed above, this recent post by "iLoki":

And pretty much is posting in that vein having recently registered. Let's nip these types in the bud.

guess what? iLoki is*?

?Techstud!

* well, was, he is banned now

Please, if any of you think someone is iGenius or Techstud, report them as such.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

guess what? iLoki is*?

?Techstud!

* well, was, he is banned now

Please, if any of you think someone is iGenius or Techstud, report them as such.

He'd been doing the iGenius fan boy thing for so long I'd forgotten about his natural state. Good lord, what is wrong with these people?
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Quote:

Thank you. We will.

He'll get fed up eventually when he gets a life.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

My ignore list ...

AngusYoung

AppleSux

DaHarder

extremeskater

g3pro

gFiz

ifail

iGenius

iLad

kotatsu

lowededwookie

MacTripper

Moloch

RBR

SpotOn

TECHSTUD

TEKSTUD

Zuriel

Seems very close to my ignore list, which (alas!) is getting longer each week.

I know a lot of people consider Chronster a troll, but I believe he posts thoughtful replies and while I don't agree with him, personally I like his divergent thinking.

Whatever happened to Grandad Mel? After he became a mod he gradually faded away. If Solipism and Ireland left, I probably would leave too. AI needs those guys.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    I am not going to make any assumptions.

However, using the 'members search'.... plug in "joined within the last 2 months" plus "over 100 posts" and you only get four names.

AppleRulez Banned 108

iLuv Banned 121

SpotOn Registered User 155

Woohoo! Member 289
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

However, using the 'members search'.... plug in "joined within the last 2 months" plus "over 100 posts" and you only get four names.

AppleRulez Banned 108

iLuv Banned 121

Woohoo! Member 289

I'm in agreement. Like I say, you think it's a coincidence that two of the people who voted "they don't see an issue" just happened to register to the forums on the exact same date? I think not. (AppleRulez = SpotOn IMO)

You won't make assumptions, so I will for you. I think SpotOn is very possibly TECKSTUD.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    With regards to SpotOn, I don't know why so many seem to have a problem with him. Perhaps if he's on your ignore list you've missed the helpful posts he's made, such as this one in Backtomac's Virtualisation thread. If you are a true troll you simply do not spend the time working on a post like that.

I don't intend to take any action at this time with regards to SpotOn.

Of course, if you see any posts from him (or anyone else) containing personal attacks or otherwise violating the posting guidelines, report the post.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:

With regards to SpotOn, I don't know why so many seem to have a problem with him. Perhaps if he's on your ignore list you've missed the helpful posts he's made, such as this one in Backtomac's Virtualisation thread. If you are a true troll you simply do not spend the time working on a post like that.

I believe he is crazy enough.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

hmmm, looks like iGenius was perma-banned whilst I wasn't looking.

not at all. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

It is weird. I don't really get the motivation for it either.

?is a dick.

All well said. It definitely should depend on tone. If people can't be critical of Apple without simultaneously being condescending and rude about Apple's users/fans, they should be out of here, well, at least at first they should be given a temporary ban and told to tone it down, and if they don't, then they should be perma-banned.

In review: AppleRulez is outta here.

AngusYoung is getting a temporary ban and being told to not be so rude and condescending when he's back.

Nice reply. I appreciate the fact you can keep cool when others are throwing heat on you. A lot of posters here were a bit highly charged (I'm not condemning anyone) and you took it well. Many thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Seems very close to my ignore list, which (alas!) is getting longer each week.

I know a lot of people consider Chronster a troll, but I believe he posts thoughtful replies and while I don't agree with him, personally I like his divergent thinking.

Whatever happened to Grandad Mel? After he became a mod he gradually faded away. If Solipism and Ireland left, I probably would leave too. AI needs those guys.

Solipism is one of the few great ones left here. There are a number of good people here, but he/she is one of the last greats left. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Quadra 610. Hasn't posted as much recently, but a good egg nonetheless.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I believe he is crazy enough.

Yea, I'm one of the crazy ones unfortunately.

I'll try to tone it down some more from now on.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:

With regards to SpotOn, I don't know why so many seem to have a problem with him.

Well personally, I am a suspicious cranky old git... and sometimes the troll signs are a little more subtle.

I get suspicious when:

A new member joins... and starts making a hundred posts a week.

And those posts are spread over dozens and dozens of threads.

Coupled with starting numerous threads of their own. (Cumon' newbies don't tend to do that!)

These threads are often along the lines of - "Here's a link that says Apple is probably a bit shit. Discuss"

The info in the link is generally poor or is deliberately misinterpreted.

After being debunked by the members... the link will turn up again in other threads.

As a troll settles in... we normally get to hear all sorts of personal details... that nobody has asked for.

Like their long history with IT and tech in general. "I had an Apple II etc etc.

They also have generally had an excellent education and have qualifications and experience in many areas. (ALL areas)

They have a significant investment portfolio. Normally it is "Larger than yours".

Trolls have almost always tried or owned nearly every tech gadget ever made.... including Microsoft's "Courier".

They have a penchant for fast expensive cars.

They rarely get bored with their mission to annoy, but on the occasions that they do... they announce that they are going to retire to the pool with a bottle of Chablis. Either that or they have a plane to catch.

They tend to be annoying twats! (Is it OK if I say that... it is a compliment after all?)
  • Reply 78 of 92
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Well personally...<snip>

Quite a rant there piot.

Ok, anyone else? I'm taking shots here.

I'm no Teckstud, but I'll throw a few punches at you.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Thanks!
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Quote:

However, using the 'members search'.... plug in "joined within the last 2 months" plus "over 100 posts" ........

AppleRulez Banned 108

iLuv Banned 121

Woohoo! Member 289

Let's try that again!

AppleRulez Banned 108

iLuv Banned 121

Josh.B. Registered User 101

SpotOn Registered User 241

Woohoo! Banned 289

Congratulations go to, Woohoo for getting himself banned, to Josh.B for joining this elite group in just a couple of days, and to SpotOn for...... not being banned.