Apple's Steve Jobs graces Time magazine cover for iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was just trying to show how much Stephen Fry material was out there.

You are wrong. He's trying to say that since it's all available on Amazon UK that it's would be easy to obtain. He's ignoring the fact that these shows date as far back as the 1980s, before even VHS media was commonplace. He's an idiot for assuming that i would have only recently watched these shows after the internet and sites like Amazon made them easier to obtain, providing you are willing to pay for them.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are wrong. He's trying to say that since it's all available on Amazon UK that it's would be easy to obtain. He's ignoring the fact that these shows date as far back as the 1980s, before even VHS media was commonplace. He's an idiot for assuming that i would have only recently watched these shows after the internet and sites like Amazon made them easier to obtain, providing you are willing to pay for them.

I see, that's what I get for involving myself in a private fight.

Bottom line is, Stephen Fry is hardly known in the US, which might comes as a shock to a Brit, since he's seen as a virtual national treasure in the UK.

I wonder if our sarcastic friend has ever heard Fry's BBC tribute to Vivian Stanshall.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You're such an idiot.

Once again you are proved wrong and your comeback? Personal insults, what? You have no valid argument left?
  • Reply 84 of 104
    Quote:

Jeeves & Wooster, Blackadder, Q.I., Steven Fry in America. I think I've seen every series he's ever been in, which isn't easy for a Yankee.

Quote:

Are they not your words above? Did you not say it would be hard for a "Yankee" to see all the series that Stephen Fry has been in? I see no reference to media, time frames etc, just that it would be hard to do, well no it isn't, there is a tonne of material available at Amazon, so it isn't difficult to do at all. But since you like hiding before your little name, thinking you are better than anyone else, insulting anyone that can prove you wrong. I will say it again, you need help, professional help, I suggest you seek this now

Quote:

Bottom line is, Stephen Fry is hardly known in the US, which might comes as a shock to a Brit, since he's seen as a virtual national treasure in the UK.

I wonder if our sarcastic friend has ever heard Fry's BBC tribute to Vivian Stanshall.

I'm not British, nor do I live in Britian. I haven't heard about this show you talk about, but as you said, all I was doing was proving that there is an easy method to get access to a lot of Stephen Fry material, but like usual, he over reacted.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    Quote:

Imagine catching Blackadder II during on a trip to the UK in Summer of 1986. Barely had cable TV, no BBC America, no internet, video stores weren't that common and when they were there was no US release of most BBC shows. You'd get Dr. Who* and few others on PBS, but that was about it.

Getting VHS tapes of shows in the 90s shipped from Scotland wasn't the easiest or cheapest solution.

British comedy is soccer of humour, hardly anyone in the US likes it.

* A new Dr. Who serial starts this Saturday with a great new head writer at the helm. (For jfanning's sake, helm does not refer to the wheel of an actual ship)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Once again you are proved wrong and your comeback? Personal insults, what? You have no valid argument left?

Your lack of cognition should be studied. Too much lead paint as a child or something in your genetics makes you jump to erroneous conclusions based on limited data sets?
  • Reply 86 of 104
    Quote:

Are they not your words above? Did you not say it would be hard for a "Yankee" to see all the series that Stephen Fry has been in? I see no reference to media, time frames etc,

Nope, no time frames, which makes it odd that you would assume a timeframe of RIGHT NOW for series that dates back to the 1980s. Perhaps you should think before you post or inquire to get a better understand of the topic. Even better, why not you stop trolling the forums and instead shut the frak up.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:

Yeah, I reckon it must have been real tough...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/stephen-fry-...A283926&page=1

Wrong region for a yank. You've heard of regions haven't you?

Unless it's been released with a dollar sign next to it, small chance it will play here.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Unless it's been released with a dollar sign next to it, small chance it will play here.

I bought the original Office serial from Amazon UK. Having to change my computer's DVD region wasn't that bad, but as soon as you inputted another region's disc you had to change it again, and you only get like 5 switches before the HW is locked. So it pretty much makes that a no go for the average viewer, but he'll state that you can get region-free DVD drives cheap and you can have a drive for each region, etc., all the while still claiming it's "easy".
  • Reply 89 of 104
    Quote:

Ha ha ha you made a joke, I live in a country with a dollar sign in front of all the products here, but none of the DVD's are region 1, there is more than one country using a $.

But I have something called a region free DVD player, heard of them? (and for solipsism sake, heard is different than herd which is a large group animals). I have around 400 DVD's, over half of them are region 1, or region 2, and I live in region 4. I thought you had the best of everything in the US, this shouldn't be an issue for you.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    Quote:

I bought the original Office serial from Amazon UK. Having to change my computer's DVD region wasn't that bad, but as soon as you inputted another region's disc you had to change it again, and you only get like 5 switches before the HW is locked. So it pretty much makes that a no go for the average viewer, but he'll state that you can get region-free DVD drives cheap and you can have a drive for each region, etc., all the while still claiming it's "easy".

You can get region free drives for computers cheap? Where do you get them from? I would like one.

I have a region 4 Pioneer for one TV, and a region 2 Samsung for another TV. The Pioneer arrived region free out of the box, the Samsung I had to enter a code, neither where "cheap", but you can get some very cheap regional free standalone players here.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    Quote:

Your lack of cognition should be studied. Too much lead paint as a child or something in your genetics makes you jump to erroneous conclusions based on limited data sets?

I will say this again, you need professional help, I suggest you seek this as soon as possible.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    Quote:

I thought you had the best of everything in the US, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Always with the anti-American rancor.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I admit I haven't read through every post on this thread yet, but does anyone else find it ironic that Steve appears on the cover of a print publication to crow about the device that hopes to replace print publications?
  • Reply 94 of 104
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

British comedy is soccer of humour, hardly anyone in the US likes it.

Ain't that the truth! With the notable exception of Lord Monty of Python.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I admit I haven't read through every post on this thread yet, but does anyone else find it ironic that Steve appears on the cover of a print publication to crow about the device that hopes to replace print publications?

That is a pretty ironic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Ain't that the truth! With the notable exception of Lord Monty of Python.

Perhaps surprisingly, that is one series that very rarely can make me laugh.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Quote:

but he'll state that you can get region-free DVD drives cheap and you can have a drive for each region, etc., all the while still claiming it's "easy".

You were right - he did (claim it was easy). re: region-free players: Heard of them - never seen one in real life. Sort of like jfanning's experience with pussy.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Time's cover looks the the unveiling of the Shroud of Jesus from the History channel.
  • Reply 98 of 104
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

Why so serious?

In the movie 'Objectified', Ive himself makes fun of how seriously he takes design matters (last few seconds)

Excellent vid, thanks, really enjoyed it.
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Quote:

Always with the anti-American rancor.

Always? I am not anti-American, and I have never posted anything of the sort, this is just another example of you inventing things in your little dream world, get some help.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    Quote:

You were right - he did (claim it was easy). re: region-free players: Heard of them - never seen one in real life. Sort of like jfanning's experience with pussy.

Maybe you should travel outside of the town you live in, region free DVD players (standalone units) are very common.

What's what the personal insults? What did I ever do to you? Nothing of value to add so you resort to insulting people? Since it is Good Friday, have all the moderators taking the day off?