Pre-release Apple iPads subjected to abuse on late night TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

We have two here who already suffered mental breakdown

Well, two mental heads are always better than one. At least they both have someone they can argue with....
  • Reply 42 of 76
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

If you watch Letterman regularly you know his gadget IQ is zero. The fact that he got it started and made it to photos once is a testament to the iPads ease of use.

I've watched him for years and yes you're right, he's not computer literate. I would have loved to have seen a Conan O'Brien skit.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The real question is how many Apple haters will stroke out from high blood pressure? How many will wind up in the emergency rooms with carpal tunnel syndrome from furiously typing their diatribes in various online forums...like AppleInsider?

Perhaps it's tied to their stock value. If Apple goes over 300 they could be in serious trouble. I'd be trying to sabotage Apple at every turn, too.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fkick View Post

If you check the video at 54-56 seconds in, you'll notice a light passes over the top bezel. If that little circle that appears isn't an isight, I dont know what is.

AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR, maybe?

Some things to consider...
    1. If there was a camera in the device it would be the size of the iPhone lens camera, not something that tiny

2. It would be very marketable

3. The SDK would have evidence of it like with the iPhone.

4. One of the many reviewer would have made mention of it

• Reply 45 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

We'll probably have to wait thirty years to see.

Many of the haters appear to be quite young (i.e., below 25 years old). Kids are resilient.

Actually, and this is kind of an interesting point, I think, that was made by a blog entry somewhere that I can't be bothered to look up, the real push-back seems to be coming from, say, 25-35 year olds.

That is, young enough to have grown up with the standard computing model, but not so young as to be open to whatever comes down the pike or so old as to have never really gotten on board.

In the estimation of the blog writer, the iPad will sell to older people who never did like those darn computers much, and younger people who don't have any particular sense of achievement associated with have mastered their PC. For those 25-35 years olds, however, especially the geekier of the group, something like the iPad is "too easy" or "not powerful enough" or "dumbed down", by which they mean that it renders their hard won skills, which have heretofore given them a sense of power in their lives, irrelevant.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    fkickfkick Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR, maybe?

Some things to consider...
    1. If there was a camera in the device it would be the size of the iPhone lens camera, not something that tiny

2. It would be very marketable

3. The SDK would have evidence of it like with the iPhone.

4. One of the many reviewer would have made mention of it

You bring up a good point and honestly I agree with most of it, but playing devils advocate, here's why it still could be an isight:

- "not something that tiny": it's appears to be about the exact size of the isight in the MBP that I'm sitting in front of now, and it's directly centered.

- "sdk has no evidence": well the original betas did have camera options that it's possible apple removed for secrecy reasons.

- "early reviewers would have mentioned this": perhaps, unless of course there was some form of NDA in place.

Also, why is there still such an air of secrecy about the device? Why would apple keep things under lock and key until tomorrow if all the features had been released and announced back in January? There has to be something that's not yet mentioned....maybe it'll only be on the 3g versions, because lets face it $130 for simulated gps and the "privilege" to pay at&t more $ is ridiculous.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Letterman basically made it look like the iPad is something that is impossible to use, and doesn't even function properly (I guess that could be considered comedy)

Colbert was just straight up hilarious.

Letterman Dissed everyone and eveything on that show Sara Palin (Again), the iPad, his Mother and even his main guest Sam Worthington who was miss named on introduction. The TOP 10 list was pathetic as if it was written on the way from the dressing room to the show stage like some kids homework being done on the bus. Dave's humor is totally shameful please bring back Johnny Carson, Joey Bishop, or even Charlie Weaver.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

Dave's humor is totally shameful please bring back Johnny Carson, Joey Bishop, or even Charlie Weaver.

That would kind of icky, since they are all deceased.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That would kind of icky, since they are all deceased.

But hilarious! "I just flew in from Chicago, ladies and germs, and boy are my arms OMG ROTTING STUMPS!"
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:

You bring up a good point and honestly I agree with most of it, but playing devils advocate, here's why it still could be an isight:

- "not something that tiny": it's appears to be about the exact size of the isight in the MBP that I'm sitting in front of now, and it's directly centered.

- "sdk has no evidence": well the original betas did have camera options that it's possible apple removed for secrecy reasons.

- "early reviewers would have mentioned this": perhaps, unless of course there was some form of NDA in place.

Also, why is there still such an air of secrecy about the device? Why would apple keep things under lock and key until tomorrow if all the features had been released and announced back in January? There has to be something that's not yet mentioned....maybe it'll only be on the 3g versions, because lets face it $130 for simulated gps and the "privilege" to pay at&t more $ is ridiculous.

Excellent rebuttal and welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Boy do i hope you are right, mainly because i ordered the 3g version
  • Reply 52 of 76
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Sweet... I can't wait for someone to use an iPad as a ramp for a minibike jump!
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But hilarious! "I just flew in from Chicago, ladies and germs, and boy are my arms OMG ROTTING STUMPS!"

I know you're out there because I can hear you breathing -- which is more than I can say about me!
  • Reply 54 of 76
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

If you check the video at 54-56 seconds in, you'll notice a light passes over the top bezel. If that little circle that appears isn't an isight, I dont know what is.

Investigation has long revealed that there's already a spot for a webcam in the top/center of the aluminum framework (just as there is in the 3rd gen iPod Touch), but Apple decided not to install the camera.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repai...s-camera-slot/

Oh Well... I guess that one way to force early adopters to buy the next version come Spring 2011.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

We have two here who already suffered mental breakdown

Dissociative disorder, ftw.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

+1.

' was one of my all-time favorites

Is that why your posts are full of Cosmik Debris? (I keed, I keed)
  • Reply 57 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Is that why your posts are full of Cosmik Debris? (I keed, I keed)

Look here, brother: Don't you waste your time on me.

Add: This thread has (sort of) disintegrated, no? As someone might say, ain't this boogie a mess..... (apologies for my contribution to the disintegration).
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I know you're out there because I can hear you breathing -- which is more than I can say about me!

Take my wife-- to the morgue!
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Take my wife-- to the morgue!

I'm dying up here. Too late!
  • Reply 60 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You might be about to see Amazon charge an awful lot less for the Kindle.

Second hand they'll probably be close to worthless too. Mine will be up on eBay as soon as the 3G iPad comes out.

Why not beat the rush and do it now?

After all, those who don't know about the iPad abd are even considering a Kindle will want an iPad when they see it and you may not even be able to unload it for anything.