5 Reasons not to get an ipad...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A lot of my friends and families are going nuts about i p a d. What they don't realize is that this hardware is going to be so outdated soon. I recommend waiting for the 2nd or even 3rd generation of ipad. Here are the reasons why.



1. No USB 3.0 support. I am surprised that no one is talking about this. This is actually important. It takes about 5-10 minutes to back up my iphone on itunes. How long will ipad take? Oh, that's right. The files are bigger on ipad because the apps are bigger. Go take a nap. Shit, it's still not done!



2. Price. Apple says 499 dollars is cheap. Really? I disagree with that. I am 99% sure that apple will announce Wifi+3G model for 499 dollars around fall of 2010. Either that, apple will cut the prices on all models by 50-100 dollars. Also, if iphone is coming to Verizon, then we are definitely going to see this on Verizon as well. Are we going to see some crying babies this fall like we did with original iphone in 2007? History repeats itself.



3. No camera. It's 2010. Someone forgot to include something. It's not 1910. Next one will have this for sure. When it does, then not all the apps are going to be compatible.



4. No flash. Sure, maybe we can live without flash. We can live with HTML 5. But, most of websites still use flash. Why buy this now? Let the websites convert to HTML 5 first. Apple shows about 10 websites that will convert to HTML 5. Well, I am sorry, but I go more than these 10 websites. I go more like hundreds...



5. What the hell is it? Seriously, what the hell is this thing and what am I going to use it for?
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 94
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    1. Don't care.

    2. Don't care.

    3. Don't care.

    4. Don't care.

    5. It's an iPad. iBooks, iWork, videos, apps, games, Internet, ...
  • Reply 2 of 94
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    6. Geeks will laugh at you.



    Wait, that's a reason to get one.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    ... It takes about 5-10 minutes to back up my iphone on itunes. How long will ipad take?



    Really???



    I've a full 32GB 3GS and it takes 5-10 SECONDS to backup on iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    ......ummmmm not persuasive. Mine's coming in 10 days. For me it's simple. If I bought a Macbook 80% of the time it'd be accessing the web. Now I'm going to spend 40% less and get the same (if not improved) web access.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    ................ What the hell is it? Seriously, what the hell is this thing and what am I going to use it for?



    1 Reason to get an iPad...



    To piss you off!



  • Reply 6 of 94
    hcho321hcho321 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    ......ummmmm not persuasive. Mine's coming in 10 days. For me it's simple. If I bought a Macbook 80% of the time it'd be accessing the web. Now I'm going to spend 40% less and get the same (if not improved) web access.



    Same? What about Flash?
  • Reply 7 of 94
    hcho321hcho321 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    Really???



    I've a full 32GB 3GS and it takes 5-10 SECONDS to backup on iTunes.



    No it does not take 5-10 seconds...

    Unless you have almost 30GB space free on your iphone 3GS.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    hcho321hcho321 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    1. Don't care.

    2. Don't care.

    3. Don't care.

    4. Don't care.

    5. It's an iPad. iBooks, iWork, videos, apps, games, Internet, ...



    Thanks for your comment. But, I don't care about what you think, either.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    hcho321hcho321 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    ......ummmmm not persuasive. Mine's coming in 10 days. For me it's simple. If I bought a Macbook 80% of the time it'd be accessing the web. Now I'm going to spend 40% less and get the same (if not improved) web access.



    Not Persuasive? Damn, I would love to see what you think about your ipad this fall...

    Apple will change ipad. And everyone will cry just like they did with iphone.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    Not Persuasive? Damn, I would love to see what you think about your ipad this fall...

    Apple will change ipad. And everyone will cry just like they did with iphone.



    Yeah! Apple should be more like other CE manufacturers, and never update anything. Once you buy a Dell computer, you can be sure you'll never experience any buyer's remorse, because Dell will never release another one with better specs.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    Not Persuasive? Damn, I would love to see what you think about your ipad this fall...

    Apple will change ipad. And everyone will cry just like they did with iphone.



    People would scream bloody murder if the didn't change iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    Not Persuasive? Damn, I would love to see what you think about your ipad this fall...

    Apple will change ipad. And everyone will cry just like they did with iphone.



    Nope I won't cry. By fall I'll have near 6 months of bliss. My iPad will be in a nice case and a bag with my CLEAR Spot 4G Wifi router.



    The next iPad will be improved but I tend to like to skip a generation so If I can make my iPad last me a couple of years I'll be in line for the 3rd gen iPad and 5th gen iPhone.



    It's just money...you can't take it with you to the Afterlife.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    No it does not take 5-10 seconds...

    Unless you have almost 30GB space free on your iphone 3GS.



    Yes, it does... with less than 1GB of free space.



    Plug phone into computer(iTunes) ... hit "Sync" ... the "backing up your iPhone" phase takes about 10 seconds. ... it then moves on to "transfering files", which may take 1-2 minutes, depending on the number and size of files being swapped (usually movies). Then it does the actual "syncing"... another 10 seconds or so.



    The only thing that would take 5-10 minutes is a "restore"... where ALL the info on the phone is being moved (or the FIRST backup of a loaded phone). I've done that how many times in the last 3 years? ... oh yes, ONCE... when I switched from the first phone to the 3GS.



    If your phone is tied-up for 10 minutes every time you sync it, something is WRONG with your set-up.





    As for "Flash" and missing it... I don't use it now, why would I miss it on the iPad??? (In fact there's a big grey box on the top of THIS page that says "Flash" in it... should I feel bad that I'm not seeing that ad?... that it's not slowing down my browser/cpu?)



    If you don't like it, fine... but there's a lot of people for whom the iPad is going to be the best option out there for portable "computing".
  • Reply 14 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post


    Not Persuasive? Damn, I would love to see what you think about your ipad this fall...

    Apple will change ipad. And everyone will cry just like they did with iphone.



    ...As I type this on a 5 year old PowerBook... still chugging along with no problems... still not remorseful that I didn't wait another six months to buy it so I could have gotten the next greatest model... which was superseded by another upgraded model 6 months later... which was superseded by another upgraded model 6 months later... which was superseded by another upgraded model 6 months later... which was superseded by another upgraded model 6 months later... which was superseded by another upgraded model 6 months later...



    If you never buy something if it will be upgraded within the next 6 months, then you'll never buy a computer.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,875moderator
    The single reason I wouldn't recommend people I know to get one would be the dependence on a master device.



    I'd say over 50% of my family would only require a 32GB device with basic functionality. The iPad is ideal but having to plug it in for a backup or update to get the latest apps is not something they'd cope with.



    Not being able to manage/edit pictures on it or their music makes its uses few enough to avoid a purchase.



    Imagine the following scenario:



    Mum comes home after picking up the kids from school, starts to cook a meal. She picks up the iPad and opens a recipe. Finds that she doesn't have some ingredients so orders them online to be delivered the next day and makes a meal with what is there.



    During the meal, she can have it on the table with the daily news or reminders of things to bring up in discussion or arranges events in the calendar around what the kids have on.



    Meal is done, she puts the device on a dock to listen to music while cleaning up, being able to mark and delete songs that she doesn't like. The dock could have a CD tray to import a CD she got for a gift.



    Then she gets the kids to do some homework and gets some educational app to help, can even play a game like Scrabble or Cluedo. Maybe imports the holiday snaps and gets the kids to help organize them.



    Turns on the TV to relax and uses the iPad for the TV guide, possibly even remote. Can even get trailers of movies that are on from some sites although most official movie sites will be in Flash.



    Once everyone is heading off to bed, take the iPad for some bed-time reading with the kids and on her own.



    The iPad is almost perfect for this kind of usage but the necessary trips to the old beige tower in the tiny room upstairs to sync, update and manage content kills it. This lady doesn't want or need to go in there ever again and not be able to make sure her kids are ok.



    Lack of Flash isn't a problem, publishers need to move away from it to wrench control over content from Adobe and share it with everyone but taking away control from the iPad owner of their own content is unworkable. Dad needs beige PC for work and his 200GB porn stash, Mum doesn't want to sit at a boring PC to manage her life and Dad doesn't want her finding the porn stash. Let them have their own devices and never have to sync - Mum finding the porn stash could break up a family. Is that what Apple wants? To break up people's homes? Why won't someone think of the children?



    For the sake of the kids, make the iPad a master device.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Does Mum have wifi in her home? If so, no trips the old beige tower are necessary for any of the task you list. Ever.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Marvin, Marvin, Marvin ...



    How can you be certain that Mum and Dad don't SHARE that porn stash ?... fresh ideas, new things to try, etc... I sincerely doubt that YOU were the result of immaculate conception
  • Reply 18 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Nope I won't cry. By fall I'll have near 6 months of bliss. My iPad will be in a nice case and a bag with my CLEAR Spot 4G Wifi router.



    The next iPad will be improved but I tend to like to skip a generation so If I can make my iPad last me a couple of years I'll be in line for the 3rd gen iPad and 5th gen iPhone.



    It's just money...you can't take it with you to the Afterlife.



    I usually go the 3 year warranty route. Then upgrade. Doin for years. I really get the wow factor.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,875moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Does Mum have wifi in her home? If so, no trips the old beige tower are necessary for any of the task you list. Ever.



    Assume she doesn't know how to configure a VNC server. There's no way to sync wirelessly so no way to get music already owned onto it without the plug. You can't manage content on the device so no arranging albums with the kids, no editing photos and no uploading that we know of yet except to Apple-approved services. No managing your music on the device either, that's all done in the damp, cold room (where there's rats) with the beige PC.



    Like I said, the iPad is close to being able to fulfill this role but it just falls short in key areas. They may make those changes last minute or in a future software update we'll just have to wait and see.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot


    How can you be certain that Mum and Dad don't SHARE that porn stash ?... fresh ideas, new things to try, etc... I sincerely doubt that YOU were the result of immaculate conception



    That's the stuff of nightmares . I think that's why religion is still around, the more you see of your parents, you start to believe immaculate conception is not only possible but the only logical conclusion. There's not an alcohol strong enough.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Assume she doesn't know how to configure a VNC server. There's no way to sync wirelessly so no way to get music already owned onto it without the plug. You can't manage content on the device so no arranging albums with the kids, no editing photos and no uploading that we know of yet except to Apple-approved services. No managing your music on the device either, that's all done in the damp, cold room (where there's rats) with the beige PC.



    Like I said, the iPad is close to being able to fulfill this role but it just falls short in key areas. They may make those changes last minute or in a future software update we'll just have to wait and see.



    I'm not going to restart this debate, which I find to be futile and nonproductive. Suffice to say, I find your definition of dependency to be entirely arbitrary, and consequently, unconvincing as a criticism. I did the last time I heard it, and I still do.
Sign In or Register to comment.