'iPad is here,' Apple declares on highly anticipated launch day

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After months of hype, Apple's iPad tablet computer finally went into the hands of consumers Saturday. Coinciding with the release, Apple updated its Web site to show off "a whole new world of apps" created specifically for the device.

More than a thousand iPad-specific applications are available on launch day, in addition to the more than 150,000 iPhone and iPod touch applications already available on the App Store, most of which will work on the iPad. Some developers who have upgraded their iPhone applications for the iPad have distinguished their software with the labels "HD" and "XL."

Apple chose on Saturday to highlight a number of applications created for the iPad while declaring on the front page of its Web site "iPad is here." Among the software highlighted is "The Elements," an interactive Periodic Table with high resolution photos and in-depth details on all 118 elements. Like some other applications for the iPad, "The Elements" also has a 3D mode when used with 3D glasses sold separately.

Also featured on Apple's Web site is the "Marvel Comics" application, and the description declares "comics will never be the same."

"Colors and art look so astonishing on the iPad display, you'll feel like you're part of the action," Apple said. "Pinch to zoom in and out of each page to view text and art. Tap thumbnails to navigate through pages. iPad can even lead you through each panel as the adventure unfolds. And you can buy comics right on iPad."

Other applications featured include "Real Racing HD," "The Wall Street Journal," "MLB.com At Bat 2010," "E*Trade Mobile Pro," "Scrabble," and "Labyrinth 2 HD."

Saturday is obviously a huge day for Apple, with customers lined up across the country at stores to be among the first to get the iPad. Employees at Apple's stores began to prepare for the rush of patrons very early in the morning.

AppleInsider received word that Apple retail store employees were at various U.S. store locations on both the east and west coast at 1 a.m. to prepare for today's launch at 9 a.m. local time. Employees reportedly began unboxing iPads for display at 3 a.m. All other employees had to be at the store at 7 a.m. for training.

Apple store employees meet at 1:15 a.m. Saturday to prepare for the iPad. Photo provided.

Most who preordered an iPad online when Apple began accepting orders will receive their device via UPS on Saturday. A small number of people who live in remote areas where UPS does not offer weekend delivery will have to wait until Monday.

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with only Wi-Fi. The 32GB model costs $599 and the 64GB option runs $699. Later this month, the 3G-capable models will be released, and they carry a $130 premium. The 16GB model will cost $629, 32GB for $729 and 64GB for $829.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Get yours yet?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    gomigomi Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Get yours yet?

Mine was arrival-scanned into Manchester, NH at 0618 EDT, and, as of this reply at 0936 EDT, is still sitting there. Way to go Brown!
  • Reply 3 of 43
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Computer?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other applications featured include "Real Racing HD," "The Wall Street Journal," "MLB.com At Bat 2010,"...

This is an interesting bit from the description of MLB at Bat:

Quote:

Watch live streaming games on the large iPad screen and listen to pitch-by-pitch audio ? even when you?re in a different app.

• Reply 5 of 43
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Computer?

I have a reservation to pick mine up between 9am and 3pm. I wounder what the lines will be like?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Glad the ipad is out, now if only Apple would remember the rest of the planet and announce release dates and bloody pricing for us over here!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have a reservation to pick mine up between 9am and 3pm. I wounder what the lines will be like?

Go early and find a good parking spot and wait in line.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Glad the ipad is out, now if only Apple would remember the rest of the planet and announce release dates and bloody pricing for us over here!

And over here in Japan!

I check their homepage several times a day but alas...
  • Reply 9 of 43
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    Sadly sitting in Australia where it is only 6 minutes to midnight ticking over to 4th April (love being infront), but alas, no idea when they will go on sale down here.

Time to let us know Apple!

Otherwise, much fun to be had by all those getting their grubby little hands on them today I can imagine
  • Reply 10 of 43
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is an interesting bit from the description of MLB at Bat:

Quote:

Quote:

Watch live streaming games on the large iPad screen and listen to pitch-by-pitch audio ? even when you?re in a different app.

I don't think this is the Important Revelation it may appear to be.

Actually, this is already available on the iPhone, if I'm not mistaken. I was checking out a preseason game's live audio stream a week ago on MLB at Bat and it gave me the option to listen while using a different app. When I clicked on it, it opened up a Safari page that started some Quicktime streaming page. The audio stream continued whilst I opened another app. I only tried it for a few minutes as it was ONLY a preseason game...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I don't think this is the Important Revelation it may appear to be.

Actually, this is already available on the iPhone, if I'm not mistaken. I was checking out a preseason game's live audio stream a week ago on MLB at Bat and it gave me the option to listen while using a different app. When I clicked on it, it opened up a Safari page that started some Quicktime streaming page. The audio stream continued whilst I opened another app. I only tried it for a few minutes as it was ONLY a preseason game...

Ah, I was wondering if that were the case, not being an MLB fan.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I arrived at the Best Buy in Greenville, SC at 8:00 a.m. and was 17th in line. At 9:00 they informed us that the UPS shipment was delayed due to flooding in Kentucky. They will be here no later than 5:00 p.m. At least I'm guaranteed to get one.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Got it! Woo Hoo!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    finally, it's here!

Good.

Now move along, folks...

When some new MBs/MBPs? iMacs?

• Reply 15 of 43
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Got it! Woo Hoo!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us how you like it here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=108374
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I arrived at the Best Buy in Greenville, SC at 8:00 a.m. and was 17th in line. At 9:00 they informed us that the UPS shipment was delayed due to flooding in Kentucky. They will be here no later than 5:00 p.m. At least I'm guaranteed to get one.

It was rumored that each Best Buy would get only 15. Assuming that there is a limit of one per customer, and you're 17th in line?????

Did you get your confirmation in writing? Hope it works out for you.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

finally, it's here!

Good.

Now move along, folks...

When some new MBs/MBPs? iMacs?

and Mac Pro's
  • Reply 18 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Dude they're feeding you BS. I live in Ky and we don't have any flooding.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Get yours yet?

Got mine! All I can say so far is woooow!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    There's a teardown in progress at iFixit, horrible, yet fascinating:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1