iPad teardown reveals a 'gorgeous,' symmetrical interior

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Because here's the whole paragraph

"Soon after its release on Saturday, iFixit began their teardown of Apple's new iPad, and discovered a hidden symmetry inside that the solutions provider said is "there for aesthetics alone." The peek inside also revealed that both the NAND flash and custom Apple A4 processor were manufactured by Samsung."

Hmmm do I see them saying BOTH are manufactured by Samsung? Yes - yes I do - but you didn't. One refers to a PROCESSOR as fact, the other refers to a PROCESSOR as speculation.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Hmmm... I got my info from the iFixit article. Seems AI's horrible writing strikes again.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I hear Schrödinger is looking for a new, cool cat.

Why? He still has the same two hasn't he?
  • Reply 43 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

No, I was changing my theroy based upon the revelation of new information.

Before it was Apple was making their own processors and now it's Apple is designing their own processors, but using another companies fabrication facilities.

It demonstrates that Apple is still relying upon other companies economies of scale, thus still will be using Intel processors for their main computers.

Except I'm not aware of any informed commentator saying that "Apple was making their own processors", so I'm not sure what "new information" you're alluding to.

Anyone with even a glancing knowledge of how chip fab works knows that modern fabs are multi-billion dollar facilities and that it would have been insane for Apple to build one (if they could have even pulled that off without it being broadly known), and that it's a project they would have had to start many years before the A4 hit the scene.

Everything I saw regarding the A4 made it clear that Apple had done some design work in-house, probably using IP they acquired from PA Semi, to optimize silicon for their particular needs.

Quote:

Well because in Asia nearly everything is copied, duplicated or cloned in some manner.

The Asian market is quite considerable, $240 million might seem like peanuts to Samsung if they can make Billion$ with a iPad clone of some sort.

They did make Mp3 players there for some time, thus my statement.

And was explained already, whatever particular optimizations Apple has made doesn't yield just some Samsung part that is going to get reused, by anyone. As one of the big foundry operators, Samsung would be in a world of hurt if they took to making off with their clients designs. You seem to be under the impression that because the A4 has "Samsung" printed on it that they would be free to use that silicon in a similar product, but, again, that's simply wrong.

Quote:

Why do you think that what some guy says on a web site is going to change anything?

FUD campaigns rely on cumulative effect. Since you've done pretty much nothing as of late but post what I think is objectively FUD regarding the iPad (bad survey! tiny keyboard! only good for children! finger painting! finger painting! finger painting!) I'm starting to wonder what you're deal is.

Quote:

It's likely cheaper for Apple to use others fabs than build their own, they gain from the economy of scale, like all the local newspapers using the same press facilities in town.

No likely about it, fabs are massively expensive, massively complex operations. It would make as much sense for Apple to buy an aluminum mine.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Ferrari is the perfect comparison. It's said that they sell cars just so they can afford to race. Apple and Ferrari both put passion first. Lol, even the weight distribution is funny because Ferraris' V8s are known to have a perfect 50/50 weight distribution (at least for the past 10 years).

Quote:

Had a Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 a long time ago, nice car, like sitting in a jet.

Everyone wanted to race me all the time though.

Certainly not a 50/50, it was *ss heavy for traction, ate a lot of rubber of the rears.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/...c0d7d46de5.jpg

Reason why posted these together to show, people sometimes read one part of comment and forget the rest, which can actually miss an important point.

For last 10 years Ferrari V8 do have 50/50 balance. Dino 308 GT4 was manufactured from 1973-80.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

I think the symmetry of the components is to help in balance besides making it look good. Example "The teardown found that the display assembly and rear case each weigh 350 grams, giving the device 50-50 weight distribution."

Also helps set up a nice neutral drift when taking corners at speed. Jony Ive wanted to avoid either oversteer or understeer!
  • Reply 46 of 65
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Question: How much RAM--some people wanted to know.

512MB according to the linked iFixit article.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

FUD campaigns rely on cumulative effect. Since you've done pretty much nothing as of late but post what I think is objectively FUD regarding the iPad (bad survey! tiny keyboard! only good for children! finger painting! finger painting! finger painting!) I'm starting to wonder what you're deal is.

Your taking things I said out of context and ranting.

I'm a objective critic, I've said a lot of good things about the iPad, "good for children" and "finger painting" is just some of them.

Touch typing is not one of them.

Consuming, but not creating, content is likely more well suited for the device.

We are all evaluating what this device means and can do.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Reason why posted these together to show, people sometimes read one part of comment and forget the rest, which can actually miss an important point.

For last 10 years Ferrari V8 do have 50/50 balance. Dino 308 GT4 was manufactured from 1973-80.

I know that, I was confirming your statement and leading to further discussion as we both have a similar interest.

Oh, well. Conversation DOA.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    3.75v, 24.8 watt-hr battery, or 6.6 Amp-hr. That's kinda big for a device this size. If this thing is gonna run 10 hours on a charge then it's average current drain is around .6 amps, or a measly 2.48 watts. It's not going to burn your legs.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hmmm... I got my info from the iFixit article. Seems AI's horrible writing strikes again.

That's my point. It's not that you're wrong or suck - but that AI is throwing editing to the free winds. If I didn't work in publishing (and stayed up too damn late last night scouring iPad news for work), I'd probably be less nitpicky.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes he does, he just needs one more for a cross-dimensional double date.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I think it's better we stop mentioning the A4 and Mac together. I don't think there has been any credible rumors much less announcements that this is a direction that Apple wants to go. In the meantime it seems to be causing many people all kinds of anxiety which is unrelated to the topic of the iPad at hand.

This I agree with 100%. I've seen nothing that should be causing people concern. Besides the iPad is spilling it's guts all over the net.

Quote:

In terms of the RAM, K4X2G643GE if I'm not mistaken in Samsung nomenclature means a 2Gb chip, which translates into 256MB per chip. Assuming only 1 DRAM chip in the A4, then I guess we are still at 256MB of DRAM which is kind of disappointing if multitasking really is coming with iPhone OS 4.

That is beyound disappointing as you indicate it will dramatically impact the utility of multitasking if it comes to iPhone OS 4.0. Worst due to the lack of virtual memory it will impact apps like iWork and others with highly variable RAM demands. It will also make a whole class of apps more difficult to write and get reasonable performance with.

This lack of RAM should be factored into anybodies purchasing decision. It is no wonder Apple was to embarassed to publish the spec honestly. Of course this doesn't mean iPad won't do a lot of things well as it will, it is just an unreasonable limitation in this day and age. Let's hope that there is more RAM in there than we think.

Quote:

Edit: For reference the iPhone 3GS also used a 2Gb chip on package to achieve 256MB of RAM according to iSuppli. It only costs $8.50 too.

Which is why this is such a huge disappointment. The RAM is cheap and there is lots of space for a bigger PC board. Or they could have went with denser technology.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

512MB according to the linked iFixit article.

That would make a huge difference!!!! Still I'm disappointed Apple can't be honest here and just tell us.

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Beautiful car. Great thing about Ferraris is that they age like fine wine.

Yes, miss my Dino... :cry:
  • Reply 55 of 65
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Probably...
  • Reply 56 of 65
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Ferrari really the best example here? How about Rolls Royce or Bentley?

iPad's a car that can go 50mph max. It might have a sexy motherboard, but I'm not buying a device based on what it looks inside. I do things with it. If it cannot play even basic flash stuff I have no use for it as it's then just another expensive toy.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

iPad's a car that can go 50mph max. It might have a sexy motherboard, but I'm not buying a device based on what it looks inside. I do things with it. If it cannot play even basic flash stuff I have no use for it as it's then just another expensive toy.

If we are going to use the car analogy it should be noted that there are cars great for the road, but horrible offroad... and vice versa. There are cars with great gas mileage with poor storage and towing ability... and vice versa. There are cars that are great to drive but need to use a particular fuel, and cars in poorer countries that are designed for weak fuels that work, but are uncomfortable to drive.

That is just commercial automobiles. We can get into ones that are designed for a specific task. Would you say that a minivan is crap because a F1 racer can beat it? Would you say a Ariel Atom is better than an F1 because it's faster to 60mph? Would you say and F1 sucks because you can't take the kids to soccer with it?

Then there are all the other types of vehicles out there. I'd take a bike over a 747 for a ride through the park but I'd take a jet to get to London. Is it not possible to look at a device and see that this is designed well for the tasks it was designed for.

I have no idea what the inside appearance has to do with the functionality. I do understand that you are adamant about Flash as a requirement, but if that is the case why hasn't Adobe gotten on the ball and why does Android OS ? publicly known years before the iPhone OS was announced ? still not have a version of Flash that can play Flash from video from sites like Hulu in April 2010?
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

3.75v, 24.8 watt-hr battery, or 6.6 Amp-hr. That's kinda big for a device this size. If this thing is gonna run 10 hours on a charge then it's average current drain is around .6 amps, or a measly 2.48 watts. It's not going to burn your legs.

That is a hood sign because it means all of the rest of the circuitry is very low power. Especially if the back light is taking 1.5 to 2 watts of juice.

ATOM will have a very hard time matching this. If they ever do.

Dave
  • Reply 59 of 65
    campercamper Posts: 30member
    reveals a 'gorgeous,' symmetrical interior

It's a piece of friggin' hardware, for Pete's sake.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post

reveals a 'gorgeous,' symmetrical interior

It's a piece of friggin' hardware, for Pete's sake.

You don't think engineering can be gorgeous? By my reckoning, the very definition of good enginnering includes gorgeous designs.

I think it was James D. Watson that stated they knew when they got DNA right because it was an elegant design, not in spite of.